What are you doing to keep busy at home?

I'm in an "Essential Industry" so I lack any excess of free time.

We're doing "Split Teams" but even our "Out" segment we're working

I'm in an "Essential Industry" so I lack any excess of free time.

We're doing "Split Teams" but even our "Out" segment we're working

Same here. I've been working 15+ hours a day, but today's my day off. I dropped by my local wine shoppe and was pleased to see that they are essential as well. I picked up a dozen local beers and went to the store to get the basics: some dandelion greens, some chopped and smoked green chiles. Now I am going to while away the hours with some ale and some mixolydian practice.

I want to thank those of you who are "essential" workers for all that you're doing to help the rest of us out. Whether you're in the medical field, work in a grocery store, or any other essential field, thank you.

Please stay safe and stay well.

I had another voice lesson today with my bestie. We aren't maintaining any 6 feet rule, but still we are both very cautious. I asked for a rain check for a picnic with another friend whom I don't know too well, she's a social butterfly, so I thought better not to hang out just now, she's real big on hugging.

I have also begun to wipe down all the controls in my car after each trip out! The 1st time, they were pretty yucky.:(

I'm finally getting our nasty looking backyard cleaned up, even found a poor recently deceased squirrel there this AM. His remains got a very decent burial. And a blessing for animals. I wore gloves. You never know.

I'm finding the internet to be slower than normal...

Last edited:
COVID, COVID, COVID...I run an assisted living. I can't escape it and the never-ending agency protocol changes. May actually be done for the day. Might play uke. After my nap

COVID, COVID, COVID...I run an assisted living. I can't escape it and the never-ending agency protocol changes. May actually be done for the day. Might play uke. After my nap

OMG, I really feel for ya. I'm so happy to be retired from hospice right now! I loved hospice work, but enough is enough. I worked in an ALF once, as a PRN nurse, I really hated it, it was just barely better than a nursing home, accu-checks, G tubes, falls, geezus!
We sure do have fun playing in ALFs, there are about 5 of them that hire us regularly, the residents are so sweet.

I've been reacquainting myself with some old songs and introducing some new ones into my repertoire. Trying to keep up my skills on some instruments that I've been neglecting, but spending most of my time on guitar, ukulele and mouth harp. I've been walking a few kilometres down the waterfront trail (North shore of Lake Ontario) each day. It's easy to maintain social distancing, since I rarely see anyone else down there these days. I take my phone and snap a few photos each day.
March 25, 2020 j.jpgMarch 25, 2020 t.jpg

A pair of mute swans who raise a family every year in the marsh north of the trail>
The mouth of Gage's Creek which changes every time I go down there.

Been retired over ten years, so 'filling in my time' has developed into a regular routine,that suits me and doesn't frighten the horses! Shopping for food is fairly tricky at this time obviously, but hey, a chap has to eat,right? New laws come in to force,that any reason for being out of your home can be questioned and even fined, by the Police! Okay, we all have to act responsibly during this crisis, but I repeat, I have to have food, it is something I have grown accustomed to over the past seventy odd years!
But all that aside, I spend my time reading, doing things on my PC (like this!) playing my modest collection of instruments, listening to music,and watching television. Aside from the everyday drudgery of cleaning,cooking etc to keep the old stately pile from collapsing.And remember, no matter how bad it may get, 'this too shall pass'......

This too shall pass... Wise words! :)

Determined to come out of this in better shape! Most of January and February I was ill. I was pretty much off my feet for 5 weeks then trying to recover for three weeks afterwards! I'm still trying to get back to 'normal' and tire easily. Lot's of walking, fresh air and bike rides for as long as they are allowed. And of course I'll be learning to play my lovely new ukulele. Husband and I think this is good practice for our retirement in a few years. So far so good, let's see what kind of song I'm singing in a few weeks. ;)

Thanks to all of you still having to work for our benefit!

Been retired over ten years, so 'filling in my time' has developed into a regular routine,that suits me and doesn't frighten the horses! Shopping for food is fairly tricky at this time obviously, but hey, a chap has to eat,right? New laws come in to force,that any reason for being out of your home can be questioned and even fined, by the Police! Okay, we all have to act responsibly during this crisis, but I repeat, I have to have food, it is something I have grown accustomed to over the past seventy odd years!
But all that aside, I spend my time reading, doing things on my PC (like this!) playing my modest collection of instruments, listening to music,and watching television. Aside from the everyday drudgery of cleaning,cooking etc to keep the old stately pile from collapsing.And remember, no matter how bad it may get, 'this too shall pass'......
Pretty much the same for me up here in North Yorkshire,quite limited as I come into the very vulnerable group so unable to pop out birdwatching so I intend to get good at playing uke fingerstyle,plenty of lessons on line I do like Aaron Keims style and it is my sort of music so I'm trying to get a hard copy of his book. Stay safe folks

Right now trying to figure out Discord. I had a flip phone up until about three years ago. This is like a three fingered playing playing an e chords. Will keep trying with it.

Three friends and I (with occasional visitors) have been getting together to play music on Sundays for the past few years. We have missed the last two Sundays, but Ted has found an ap that will allow us to get together while maintaining social distancing. We're gonna try it out for the first time tomorrow. Can't wait.

I never mentioned that the leader of my seniors uke group setup a paid Zoom account and after some experimenting and testing, our group has been having online sessions for the last week. The first test one had 65 participants, the next two had about 35. It went very well, most everyone replied that they a great time being able to see each despite only hearing and following the leader. We're going to follow the same schedule as when we physically meet, 3:30 PM Mondays and 10 AM Thursdays.

Three friends and I (with occasional visitors) have been getting together to play music on Sundays for the past few years. We have missed the last two Sundays, but Ted has found an ap that will allow us to get together while maintaining social distancing. We're gonna try it out for the first time tomorrow. Can't wait.

Be aware that you can't all play at once, there's a lag/delay that prevents that. My group hears only the leader and plays along, with all of us on mute.

Be aware that you can't all play at once, there's a lag/delay that prevents that. My group hears only the leader and plays along, with all of us on mute.

We discovered that, but we had a good chat about a variety of things and will repeat next Sunday. We each played a song. Mine was Chatanooga Choo Choo.

I'm working at home, and probably longer and harder than when I went to the office every day.
Greg

We’ve been planning a shopping trip for a couple of days : herself has sewn a mask for me, and I´ve repaired a one-piece overall.
Having finished the last bottle of wine last night, today was obviously the day. In order for the mask to fit, and to facilitate washing, the moustache and beard had to go, and I saw my chin for the first time in about 48 years — not a promising start to the day.
I loaded the car with propane cylinders, empty bottles, and rubbish bags, and armed with a huge list I left the house for the first time in two weeks.
All was quiet, the streets virtually deserted, the occasional distant figure only amplifying the feeling of emptiness.
At the Repsol Gasolineria I got propane, water, petrol for the genny and wine. The price tickets had strangely vanished from the edge of the shelf where they usually reside, and I paid nearly 40 € for five bottles of cheap red … well, they are on the front line and I for one think they deserve a bit extra. I sometimes protest that I´m a pobre Inglése huérfano ( poor English orphan), which amuses shopkeepers immensely.

Doubling back into the centre, I made for the supermarket. Back on with gloves, mask and glasses and into possibly the most dangerous place in Lanjaron. People, mostly masked, were squeezing past each other in the narrow aisles, much ribald humour was filling the air, the shelves were full and there were no apparent limits on purchases other than the size of the usual wheeled baskets provided.

Two elderly ladies were shopping sans mask, revealing faces which would scare away the most determined virus. I meanwhile was in some difficulty. My overall is a Canadian Dew Liner, made to keep me warm in minus umpteen centigrade, and not the ideal thing in a small crowded shop in sub-tropical Spain. A wooly hat covering my hair was the icing on the cake.
Without my specs I cannot find things, but wearing a mask immediately steamed them up. Add to that the fact that the entire place had been redesigned since my last visit and nothing was where it should be.

By the time I bolted for the check-out I was thoroughly sauna´d and sufficiently discombobulated to forget the brandy, which means my favourite breakfast will be off the menu for another week.
Social distancing was evident outside the pharmacy, which disguised the small queue outside, however attempting to cross the threshold I was soon made aware that there was a strict hierarchy amongst the three people standing at random near the entrance, and my profuse apologies were met with good humour. Fortunately no shortage of asthma meds or paracetamol, and that completed my quest.

I pointed the Berlingo back up the mountain, where I divested myself of outer clothing and washed hands and face at the outside washbasin.
So — more or less a week´s supply of essentials, and some reassurance that things haven’t gone totally pear-shaped yet, but the virus is here, a town hall worker and a local doctor have caught it, and it will go inexorably through the pueblo until it has run it´s course.

I´ve pulled a sack of walnuts out of the shed, there will soon be almonds and nispera ready, and there´s always lemons and an avocado or two to be found, what´s more I´m told we will be Skyping this afternoon, when the family will all find out simultaneously whether it´s going to be a boy or a girl!
No complaints here.

We’ve been planning a shopping trip for a couple of days : herself has sewn a mask for me, and I´ve repaired a one-piece overall.
Having finished the last bottle of wine last night, today was obviously the day. In order for the mask to fit, and to facilitate washing, the moustache and beard had to go, and I saw my chin for the first time in about 48 years — not a promising start to the day.
I loaded the car with propane cylinders, empty bottles, and rubbish bags, and armed with a huge list I left the house for the first time in two weeks.
All was quiet, the streets virtually deserted, the occasional distant figure only amplifying the feeling of emptiness.
At the Repsol Gasolineria I got propane, water, petrol for the genny and wine. The price tickets had strangely vanished from the edge of the shelf where they usually reside, and I paid nearly 40 € for five bottles of cheap red … well, they are on the front line and I for one think they deserve a bit extra. I sometimes protest that I´m a pobre Inglése huérfano ( poor English orphan), which amuses shopkeepers immensely.

Doubling back into the centre, I made for the supermarket. Back on with gloves, mask and glasses and into possibly the most dangerous place in Lanjaron. People, mostly masked, were squeezing past each other in the narrow aisles, much ribald humour was filling the air, the shelves were full and there were no apparent limits on purchases other than the size of the usual wheeled baskets provided.

Two elderly ladies were shopping sans mask, revealing faces which would scare away the most determined virus. I meanwhile was in some difficulty. My overall is a Canadian Dew Liner, made to keep me warm in minus umpteen centigrade, and not the ideal thing in a small crowded shop in sub-tropical Spain. A wooly hat covering my hair was the icing on the cake.
Without my specs I cannot find things, but wearing a mask immediately steamed them up. Add to that the fact that the entire place had been redesigned since my last visit and nothing was where it should be.

By the time I bolted for the check-out I was thoroughly sauna´d and sufficiently discombobulated to forget the brandy, which means my favourite breakfast will be off the menu for another week.
Social distancing was evident outside the pharmacy, which disguised the small queue outside, however attempting to cross the threshold I was soon made aware that there was a strict hierarchy amongst the three people standing at random near the entrance, and my profuse apologies were met with good humour. Fortunately no shortage of asthma meds or paracetamol, and that completed my quest.

I pointed the Berlingo back up the mountain, where I divested myself of outer clothing and washed hands and face at the outside washbasin.
So — more or less a week´s supply of essentials, and some reassurance that things haven’t gone totally pear-shaped yet, but the virus is here, a town hall worker and a local doctor have caught it, and it will go inexorably through the pueblo until it has run it´s course.

I´ve pulled a sack of walnuts out of the shed, there will soon be almonds and nispera ready, and there´s always lemons and an avocado or two to be found, what´s more I´m told we will be Skyping this afternoon, when the family will all find out simultaneously whether it´s going to be a boy or a girl!
No complaints here.

I enjoyed reading this so much! It's good to know that life goes on in Spain. And I'm thrilled to hear there will be a little one arriving in your family. My son just became engaged and is planning a Spring 2021 wedding. Having something so happy & hopeful to look forward to is what we need at this time. Good luck!

Top Bottom