Clawhammer question

Milky

Reaction score
I’ve been watching some clawhammer videos and it looks really fun. I was going to try to learn Cripple Creek. The problem is, everybody who plays it seems to choose a wrong key (either C or F). In jams it would be played in A or G. I tried to figure out an arrangement in A but it meant playing way up on the neck. So my question is, is it something about the way a uke is tuned that bluegrass songs can’t be played in the right key? Or is this problem unique to Cripple Creek?

Slightly off topic, but funny. At a uke fest, I took a workshop on clawhammer. The instructor told the group to shape the hand like a claw and bring it down on the strings and the top of the uke. We just couldn't do that. Smack your fingers (and fingernails) down on the top of a $1,000 ukulele? Not likely. :D

I’ve been watching some clawhammer videos and it looks really fun. I was going to try to learn Cripple Creek. The problem is, everybody who plays it seems to choose a wrong key (either C or F). In jams it would be played in A or G. I tried to figure out an arrangement in A but it meant playing way up on the neck. So my question is, is it something about the way a uke is tuned that bluegrass songs can’t be played in the right key? Or is this problem unique to Cripple Creek?

Welcome to UU, Milky!

I don't know Cripple Creek and I've seen a handful of YouTube tutorials on clawhammer and that;s it. So, I'm not an expert. :)

However, no key is right or wrong. Some are more challenging than others. Am I right in assuming that you would like to play along in jams and with videos in the keys of A or G? Can you use a capo or retune your instrument? If you've got a video playing in F then you could tune up a whole step and you'd be in G, ready to play along. Best to have a second uke to do this.

Slightly off topic, but funny. At a uke fest, I took a workshop on clawhammer. The instructor told the group to shape the hand like a claw and bring it down on the strings and the top of the uke. We just couldn't do that. Smack your fingers (and fingernails) down on the top of a $1,000 ukulele? Not likely. :D

Imagine if Willie Nelson had not wanted to bang on the top of Trigger lol? Someone posted an idea of using like a tablet screen protector or something cut down to protect from scratches. I'm in the "instruments get scratches if you play them" school, but I don't have a uke that cost over $1000

Use a circle of fifths wheel or software to change the key (or yeah, capo). I just use this freebie, somewhere down the road I hope I'm to the point that I can transpose on the fly. Are you playing with ukes or banjos? if the later, maybe get a uke and basically tune it to theirs
http://www.tikiking.com/circle_of_fifths.html
There are a number of places you can download songs and change keys if you want: chordify, guitar tabs, e-chords... hey a chord is a chord

Use a circle of fifths wheel or software to change the key (or yeah, capo). I just use this freebie, somewhere down the road I hope I'm to the point that I can transpose on the fly. Are you playing with ukes or banjos? if the later, maybe get a uke and basically tune it to theirs
http://www.tikiking.com/circle_of_fifths.html
There are a number of places you can download songs and change keys if you want: chordify, guitar tabs, e-chords... hey a chord is a chord

I know how to transpose but I play a banjolele and it really isn’t possible to clawhammer up at the 10th or 12th fret. I mean, maybe it’s possible but it wouldn’t sound good. And a capo on the 7th fret wouldn’t sound good. On any uke really, just not enough sustain to strum and pick a whole song up there. And you can’t go lower, like with a low g cause that would ruin the clawhammer sound.

Welcome to UU, Milky!

I don't know Cripple Creek and I've seen a handful of YouTube tutorials on clawhammer and that;s it. So, I'm not an expert. :)

However, no key is right or wrong. Some are more challenging than others. Am I right in assuming that you would like to play along in jams and with videos in the keys of A or G? Can you use a capo or retune your instrument? If you've got a video playing in F then you could tune up a whole step and you'd be in G, ready to play along. Best to have a second uke to do this.

Yes I want to be able to play with others in bluegrass jams. I think I would be afraid to tune up a whole step. I’m not sure the strings would take it. But, it might be worth a try. Also I think it might kind of ruin the sustain on notes if the strings are too stretched.

Top Bottom