Linear or regular tuning?

jnicholes

Reaction score
So, I have three ukuleles. A concert, a soprano, and tenor.

I decided to experiment with low g tuning on my concert by putting on an extra c string I had and tuning it to a low g. I like it so far, so I ordered a low g string for my concert.

I believe both tunings, low g or high g, have advantages and disadvantages. There was a song I couldnt play with regular tuning because the notes went below c on occasion. I can now play it with low g tuning.

HOWEVER, I can't play other songs that call for a high g easily. Probably because I need practice with the low g tuning.

In my opinion, I should have one ukulele with high g tuning and one with low g tuning.

What do you guys prefer? Low g or high g?

Just curious.

Jared

If you have multiple ukuleles (and many, if not most of us do), you should have at least one tuned Low "G". Unless you don't want to, of course. :cool:

If by 'regular', you mean re-entrant, I play only re-entrant. I do have my wallhanger strung lo G, but i only play one song with it. There have been several threads about this very topic.

All low G players that I know also own and play at least one high G ukulele. The reverse is not true.

My preference is to have one of each, (or maybe a couple of each. LOL.)

Some things I play require low g, and others sound better with high g. I'm fortunate that I can have more than one ukulele, and simply switch between them as desired.

My preference is to have one of each, (or maybe a couple of each. LOL.)

Some things I play require low g, and others sound better with high g. I'm fortunate that I can have more than one ukulele, and simply switch between them as desired.

That's what I was thinking. Some songs I play require a low-g.

Among my soprano and 2 tenors I have re-entrant tuning on the acoustic soprano and tenor. The acoustic electric tenor is in linear baritone tuning. I’m a guitarist and sometimes use it instead of a guitar. You may have to experiment a little with your low strings - especially, if like me, you don’t like the wound low strings. Linear may also cause you to need a head nut adjustment - the slot may not accommodate a broader string.

Just curious.

Jared

What do I prefer? Linear by a long shot. But it is a no-brainer to have one of each. I mainly have both tunings out of respect of the tradition. I occasionally use my re-entrant Kamaka just to hear a different inversion of the chords I usually play (or to see how it feels to only finger pick three strings).

Almost all of my ukes are low 'G'.
I only keep re entrant around for strumming a few tunes now & then, I mainly pick tunes.
But I do sometimes strum on the low 'G' as well, if I'm croaking out a song. :)

In my opinion, I should have one ukulele with high g tuning and one with low g tuning.

And one in high D and low D baritone tuning, low reentrant cuatro tuning, Bb reentrant, ..... :p

I don't have an overall preference as they all have a place.

Lots of people have one of each, which is a way to do it. But you can play songs that have notes that go below that C, you just have to be a little creative in your playing. For me that is one of the challenges that makes the ukulele more interesting to play for me than a linear tuned ukulele where you just go up and down the scale plucking the notes as they are given to you. But it all really depends on what you want to do with your ukulele.

Last edited:
I think low G is a great idea if one only finger picks, but I have found that the low G “booms” if I play chords. And, since I consider ukes as (supposedly) strummed instruments, I don’t care for the “booms”.

I think, if one wants a low 4th string, perhaps he/she should buy a baritone uke and just learn how to play it — chords and all. :eek:ld:

Just really discovered low g recently! I tried it a few times but always went back to high G. This time, I was bored, learned a few low G song, started liking it a lot. I have five tenors, three in low g and two in High G but that mix could change anytime with a string change or a whim.

Now I want to try a five string with both high and low g to see how that sounds. I was going to pull out the drill and add a fifth tuner to my TT but decided against that..LOL. I really want to try a five string with both so will wait and try one in a store and see if I like it.

Both are good, so are alternate tuning. I have a set of Bari tenor string from Chee Maisel I’ve yet to string up. Anything Uke is fun.

And one in high D and low D baritone tuning, low reentrant cuatro tuning, Bb reentrant, ..... :p
And in 5ths. Gotta have at least one in 5ths ;)

Low-D gets most of my play. Then low-G. Then 5ths. COVID19 knocked High-G off the chart since that one lives in (and is still in) my office. Debating switching a bari either to pure 4ths or to octave-down 5ths

low g was my excuse to buy a second uke.

Now.. all my ukes are low g, but as down up mentioned, i play exclusively finger style.

if your low g booms in chords, it's likely your choice of strings. I use wound TI's on both G and C, and it really evens it out across the strings. Wound on just the G makes it stick out a bit, esp if you use brass wound. All flouro, or GC wound would be my suggestion if you have issues booming. Wound GC also is good for quiet ukes, as it drives the soundboard better. I had alotta issues liking my Pono acacia until going back to wounds cuz the top is a bit overbuilt.

I use low G for teaching because it's easier to lock students into the first five frets or so and be able to nail almost anything needed while they're learning the basics.

I also use low G for jazz.

Everything else is played on a high G, though. I really like the tone.

Top Bottom