Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linear or regular tuning?

Lots of people have one of each, which is a way to do it. But you can play songs that have notes that go below that C, you just have to be a little creative in your playing. For me that is one of the challenges that makes the ukulele more interesting to play for me than a linear tuned ukulele where you just go up and down the scale plucking the notes as they are given to you. But it all really depends on what you want to do with your ukulele.
    Last edited by Rllink; 03-21-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I think low G is a great idea if one only finger picks, but I have found that the low G “booms” if I play chords. And, since I consider ukes as (supposedly) strummed instruments, I don’t care for the “booms”.

I think, if one wants a low 4th string, perhaps he/she should buy a baritone uke and just learn how to play it — chords and all.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel Banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum Banjo music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Just really discovered low g recently! I tried it a few times but always went back to high G. This time, I was bored, learned a few low G song, started liking it a lot. I have five tenors, three in low g and two in High G but that mix could change anytime with a string change or a whim.

Now I want to try a five string with both high and low g to see how that sounds. I was going to pull out the drill and add a fifth tuner to my TT but decided against that..LOL. I really want to try a five string with both so will wait and try one in a store and see if I like it.

Both are good, so are alternate tuning. I have a set of Bari tenor string from Chee Maisel I’ve yet to string up. Anything Uke is fun.

Everyone needs at least one low-G. And one banjo uke.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    And one in high D and low D baritone tuning, low reentrant cuatro tuning, Bb reentrant, .....
    And in 5ths. Gotta have at least one in 5ths

Low-D gets most of my play. Then low-G. Then 5ths. COVID19 knocked High-G off the chart since that one lives in (and is still in) my office. Debating switching a bari either to pure 4ths or to octave-down 5ths

low g was my excuse to buy a second uke.

Now.. all my ukes are low g, but as down up mentioned, i play exclusively finger style.

if your low g booms in chords, it's likely your choice of strings. I use wound TI's on both G and C, and it really evens it out across the strings. Wound on just the G makes it stick out a bit, esp if you use brass wound. All flouro, or GC wound would be my suggestion if you have issues booming. Wound GC also is good for quiet ukes, as it drives the soundboard better. I had alotta issues liking my Pono acacia until going back to wounds cuz the top is a bit overbuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Everyone needs at least one low-G. And one banjo uke.
    I just play a guitar and got it over with.
    Last edited by Rllink; 03-23-2020 at 05:59 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I use low G for teaching because it's easier to lock students into the first five frets or so and be able to nail almost anything needed while they're learning the basics.

I also use low G for jazz.

Everything else is played on a high G, though. I really like the tone.

Thread Information