Brand new users posting ukes for sale?

Nickie

Reaction score
I'd like to propose something. This might help eliminate scammers and schemers.
Suppose a new member has to post a few times to become Member, instead of Jr Member, before they can post an instrument for sale?
I understand that rarely, a uker who quit ukeing needs a place to sell, and we can find good deals....but....
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Why?

Is it now or has it been recently a problem with new members posting scam sales? If yes, then a minimum number of "quality" posts (not just "thumbs up" or "OK") would be helpful. I'm a member of a couple of other non-related forums and they've implemented minimum post rules before a member is allowed to post an item for sale.

If it's not been a problem with scammers, then probably best to leave it alone.

I'm not sure number of posts is an indicator of anything. I don't want to draw a road map for anyone who would consider scamming but for a swindle of possibly up to $1000 a few logins and posts over time is not a hard ask.

Better to use good judgement and not spend more than you would care to write-off as a loss.

I'm not sure number of posts is an indicator of anything. I don't want to draw a road map for anyone who would consider scamming but for a swindle of possibly up to $1000 a few logins and posts over time is not a hard ask.

Better to use good judgement and not spend more than you would care to write-off as a loss.

All the more reason to use Paypal, and NOT the "friends & family" option that provides zero protection if you get scammed. If you care about your money, accept the fact that you're going to have to pay a small percentage for protection. I've been thankful for that protection on more than one occasion. Caveat Emptor AND Caveat Venditor!

I think Nickie has a valid point. I am always a bit wary when I see a first time poster selling an instrument, but even more so when it is a very expensive or rare instrument. I don't necessarily need to see rules about this, but if it is a person with only a couple of posts I would be much more cautious and try to get more info on the seller.

Nicky, I think it's always good to have a reminder to be more wary of buying from someone brand new to the forum. Treat it like any other private transaction with strangers and consider if it's within your comfort level.

Suppose a new member has to post a few times to become Member, instead of Jr Member, before they can post an instrument for sale?
I understand that rarely, a uker who quit ukeing needs a place to sell, and we can find good deals....but....
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Why?[/QUOTE

Bad idea doesn't really prevent scams, discourages a potential participating member like me from signing up. Restricting a new comer from putting a for sale ad up doesn't really prevent scams. As an active member of several guitar forums for many years Gretsch Talk, Gretsch Pages, Telecaster Discussion, Fender, Gear Page, Gibson, etc. etc etc.. I have seen "newbies post a free ad and then never come back. I have also seen newbies become long time participating contributing members as well. I don't think that newbie ads have been a big problem as far as scams. After 60 years of playing the geetar I got into ukes this last year and no longer think of them as inferior crappy sounding teeny tiny toys. (my bad) I am looking to ad my third uke now to compliment my Godin Multiuke, and my Kanilea 5 string, YUP, as an old Geetar player I am looking at Banjo Ukes, and Resonator Ukes for number three and maybe number 4 :) . As a newbie here I ran one for sale ad and am now running a want to buy ad. Lot of good information on this forum hope it sticks around and doesn't get all Discorded ;) I signed up for Discord recommended by a staff member as the new site. I don't think I will use it.It not user friendly as one poster said, "it is too discorded." I digress that is another subject.

Last edited:
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Why?

Minimum 9,000 posts would be safer! But seriously, I have only a few posts as I type slowly, but I am honest. I am thinking of trying a pro-level table tennis paddle, and once I buy one, and don't love it, I will be seeking a ping pong forum to trade it and acquire more gear! I've got three ukuleles from members here, one of which I felt a little bit cheated by. The member had a lot of posts but was trying to unload one on someone...and that was me. Not bitter, and I don't know what I would have done differently, but that's some of my limited experience here.

Top Bottom