Season 409: The Virtual Ukulele Club

Tootler

Reaction score
Many of us belong to ukulele or to other music groups and with the Corona Virus such activities are being curtailed in many parts of the world. All my outside music activities have been shut down but someone locally started a virtual folk club on Facebook. The Seasons is, for all practical purposes a virtual ukulele club so let's celebrate this and, at the same time, let's keep the spirit of the season 422 alive.

There are three options

1. Bring a favourite song from the repertoire of your ukulele club.
2. Bring a song you'd like your ukulele club to add to their repertoire
3. Write an original song that fits the spirit of the season.

If you don't belong to a ukulele group, it doesn't matter, options 2 & 3 are for you anyway. If you belong to a choir or band or other social musical activity, how about adapting something from their repertoire?

Whatever your choice, let's aim for positivity.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State somewhere your video is for Season 423
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night
* Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

Stick to one song a day to begin with and I should be able to keep up.

Playlist

Last edited:
Hosts Privilege, put a video up straight away.

Remember not till midnight Hawaii and don't forget Season 422 still has another day to run.

If Jon or anyone else is still an Administrator, maybe they can change the heading on the thread from Season 409 to Season 423?

Apologies to all. I've sent a message to the mods.

Copy and paste from a previous hosting. Forgot to update the season in the header.

Last edited:
It would be nice if we could go back to season #409 and change the future :)

Hi Geoff. Great theme!

Even before people in our area were encouraged to abide by "social distancing," the church where our group plays closed and two gigs at senior centers also were canceled (for obvious reasons). Finally, the bottle shop (retail beer & wine with a few things on tap) where we play once a month closed its taproom.

So two weeks into a work-from-home order I feel even more isolated than usual. (My wife's nonresidential senior center furloughed the staff only yesterday.)

In other words, I really appreciate this theme!

I belong to a ukulele group out here in Huntington Beach, Ca. We have a huge songbook and it's still growing. Our members are over 40 people (most of them are 50 and older). However, because of the quarantine, it'll be more difficult talking to my friends and our bandleader. It's going to be a long, long wait.

Last edited:
Very interesting idea Geoff. At Woodstock Ukulele Studio I host three regular get togethers, and at Artichoke Music, another music studio in Portland, I host two more. I was already putting together a schedule for virtual jams (I call them "Strums") for next week when I saw your post for Season 423.

I would love to extend an invitation to the Seasons community to join in with my virtual jams. I will post an announcement for them as soon as I edit one that makes sense for the Seasons.

I run a tight ship at the Flatbaroque Uke Club. Everyone has to buy a baritone uke, put a capo on the first fret and play a song by someone a lot of them haven't heard of...Ron Sexsmith. Could be why my uke club only has one member currently:). Even if you don't like the song there are some interesting visuals. The book is Blues Albums Cover Art.
Thank you Geoff.

Announcing
The Woodstock Ukulele Studio Virtual Strums

what? You watch (or listen to) your computer and play along with songs pdf (email ferglow@comcast.net for pdfs)

when? noon on Monday March 23 or
7pm Tuesday March 24 also at
7 pm on Monday I’ll be conducting my Beginners Workshop
each session is approximately 40 minutes - all times are west coast usa time

how? using ZOOM software - this is a free application, available for download at
https://zoom.us/ (I presume there are appropriate international sites as well)

At the scheduled time(s), log into ZOOM and use the following numbers to find the session:
MONDAY NOONTIME STRUM Meeting ID: 608-681-444 Password: 886305
MONDAY 7 PM BEGINNERS WORKSHOP Meeting ID: 719-484-440 Password: 369634
TUESDAY 7PM STRUM Meeting ID: 344-178-708 Password: 113426

Important: Unfortunately, with the zoom app, there's no way for us all to play and hear each other at the same time. For this virtual jam to work, you'll need to remain muted while I lead the songs. I know this is kind of lame, but the songs are good, my song sheets are easy to play, and I think you’ll have fun playing duets with lil ol’ me.

Here’s the song list for this week’s strum sessions:
Stand By Me (Ben E. King)
Tennessee Waltz (Patsy Cline)
Love Me Do (the Beatles)
Look What They’ve Done to My Song (Melanie Safka)
Tiny Bubbles (Don Ho)
I’ve Got A Tiger By the Tail (Buck Owens)
Wonderful World (Sam Cooke)
These Boots Are Made for Walkin’ (Lee Hazlewood)

I’m looking forward to giving this a go!

Questions? Want the songs? Email me at ferglow@comcast.net

-Brian

Last edited:
this one for any uke group
3 chords on repeat
kev and i recorded this today
wilco via woody

If Jon or anyone else is still an Administrator, maybe they can change the heading on the thread from Season 409 to Season 423?

Apologies to all. I've sent a message to the mods.

Copy and paste from a previous hosting. Forgot to update the season in the header.

Can't you just go back to the originating post & edit the title - most forums allow it.

It’s a strange thing. One of the main reasons I chose to learn uke a couple of years ago was a video I saw on YouTube of a large uke group playing ‘A Little Respect’ by Erasure. They all looked to be having soooo much fun that I decided to give the ukulele a try. But I’ve never had any inclination whatsoever to join a uke group.

However - if I did, I’d certainly be keen to have this one, originally by The Supremes on the song list. It also happens to be my Mum’s favourite song of all time and it’s Mother’s Day. I’ve slowed it down a bit and added a little synth backing.

I don't have a local club I can attend, but I am in a swing band. When I was walking home with the bass player after our last gig (before all our other gigs got cancelled) I told Steve that I wanted to do this song in the future. So here is a one-man version to chew on.

Excellent idea for a Season Geoff, and Brian (Ukefoot) if I can find time I will try to join you. Anyway Geoff, my Monday evenings were, prior to the virus rearing it’s ugly head, usually spent with the Bradford Ukes and this is from our song book. Our song book has been evolving of late, mostly because I think many of us had got cheesed off with playing the same old same old week in week out. (Bad Moon Rising is a great song, but there comes a point......:rolleyes:). Not this one though, this has been there pretty much from the start, a bit of Ray Davies genius. One take, no safety net, no artificial flavours or preservatives.

I'm not in a uke group but were I to start one with like minded people this would be my starter for ten Am C F G bopper. By Sam Fender

Also being cooped up in the house and the myriad names storms we've had have made me a bit too eager for my first garden vid of the year.

Top Bottom