Season 409: The Virtual Ukulele Club

What a great idea, Steve!

We may have to try this, too, even if we can't get all 30+ regulars to Zoom at once.

I've been hearing reports of audio cutting out using Zoom, but hearing good things about Google Hangouts . And you can use the Premium version of Hangouts for free till July.

Since I work for a water company, I'm considered "essential," so I'm still going to work every day. I work out in the field, however, so I'm not in close contact with anyone. My wife is a medical aide at a nursing home, so she also is essential--moreso than I, in my opinion--and she also is still going to work. Anyway...

There is one uke group in San Antonio, maybe two, but I think one has gone defunct, but anyway going to it would mean I would have to drive all the way back to the far side of S.A. on Thursday night and then come back home again, and that's just too much to ask. Sitting in a room with 50 other people all banging on ukuleles doesn't sound like my idea of fun, anyway.

There are many old 3 or 4 chord songs in country music that are upbeat and have nothing to do with drinkin', cheatin', or murderin'. Here's one that should be easy for any ukulele group to get a handle on.

OK, so I brought this song to our jam once and it didn't go over because almost no one knew it ... And these people were old farts like me!

So y'all can have it. No, seriously, I may try this one again at the jam someday. For now, it's on my Martin C1K.

What a great idea, Steve!

We may have to try this, too, even if we can't get all 30+ regulars to Zoom at once.

Was thinking the same myself. My open mic is looking into something similar, would love to give that a go with you guys as well.

I've been hearing reports of audio cutting out using Zoom, but hearing good things about Google Hangouts . And you can use the Premium version of Hangouts for free till July.

There are a number of new groups on Facebook for music sharing. These are asynchronous; more like the seasons wher you upload your music and others comment. I have joined two. They aren't ukulele specific but we've got this maybe we should also share our videos with the ukulele Underground facebook group. All of us must have a pile of videos we can share.

Just thinking aloud.

I didn't get to comment last night. I will make sure I do later today.

Keep safe everyone.

Here is another one which gets asked for most weeks at our session, even though the last line of the chorus has some fast chord changes. Recorded by The Bonzo Dog Band, but written way back in the early days of Mr & Mrs Mouse (I never even knew they were married)

From time to time I get people commenting that my picking is good, and I'm sure they're just being polite. I can plod aimlessly through a pentatonic scale for a bit but proper fingerpicking patterns I just can't do which is a shame.

This song then is perfect for a uke group. Fun to play chord progression, but someone with chops could transform it with a bit of fingerstyle through it.

Finding a lot of the lyrics are resonating a lot in this time of social isolation. While most people have been at this for a couple weeks or so, I've been a shut in since October last year. Quit my job after I decided it wasn't worth the stress and spent the intervening months trying to decide what to do with my life. Three jobs and a few scuppered plans later and things were finally looking up at the start of this month. Started training for a volunteer position and found a really cool part time job that helped me pay my bills but still be a stay at home dad. And I can start getting out the house a bit more.

Then this hits and the volunteer training is moving online and the part time job offer was retracted indefinitely. Last week was rough.

The two Zoom sessions I have taken part in had a few audio hiccups, but not too bad. I have had a look at Google Hangouts, but sadly my ancient laptop runs a version of Chrome that it won't work with. I really must move into the 2010s at some point...

Hello, yet again, Geoff! I hadn't intended to do anything else this week, but since we're confined at home ... And, chimney sweeps are lucky, right? - apart from the one we had the other year, who was in such a hurry that he went away with a vital part of our stove. (When it was time to light the fire in the Autumn and I phoned him up in indignation, I found he was miles away in the south!) Well, generally speaking, chimney sweeps are lucky, and we certainly need luck at the moment! In the spirit of providing a song for a uke group, I have put up the lyrics and chords. (The Dm(maj7) chord used here is 2110)

I'm not a member of a ukulele club. But if I was then I reckon nothing would say, "multi-person strum along" to me quite like a bit of Quo...

The two Zoom sessions I have taken part in had a few audio hiccups, but not too bad. I have had a look at Google Hangouts, but sadly my ancient laptop runs a version of Chrome that it won't work with. I really must move into the 2010s at some point...

I've since heard the trick is to go into Zoom settings, and uncheck 'Suppress Background Noise' - bit disappointing to think that Zoom considers my best efforts to be 'background noise', but there it is.

50 ways.

:rulez: It's not really one for a uke club, but I hope our host will indulge me (it's less than 2minutes long! So you can just quickly skip over!) :rulez:

Last edited:
Here is a song about a young couple who doesn't have a room of their own and meets only outdoors: "Minu südames sa elad" (You Live In My Heart) from year 1970 by Arne Oit and Heldur Karmo.

I'm caught up to here and I think I've got all of you on the play list. Let me know if I've missed you out at all.

I belong to a ukulele group out here in Huntington Beach, Ca. We have a huge songbook and it's still growing. Our members are over 40 people (most of them are 50 and older). However, because of the quarantine, it'll be more difficult talking to my friends and our bandleader. It's going to be a long, long wait.

I used to play with Kolohe at Island Bazaar before I moved to Oahu!

Chord medley on the ukulele: Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World".

I'm performing an instrumental version of the claasic song, What a wonderful world, written by Bob Thiele and George David Weiss, and sung by Louis Armstrong in 1967. This was done as part of Ukulele Underground's 423rd weekly Seasons of the Ukulele contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWfH0M6XNeM

This is the sign-off song that my ukulele club plays and sings at the end of our weekly meetings.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Seems we even lost our virtual ukulele club for a while. I certainly couldn't access the site for many hours.....
I get a lot of pleasure out of what I call 'noodling' just playing around with chord and melody by stressing particular strings at particular moments.
I guess it is mostly in the 'strumming hand'.
It can also rely on different positioning of chords - for example I often visit the G chord here in position 4x3x (instead of the usual 0232).
It is something I'd share with 'my' ukulele club.

paoriginoodle
Thank you for the week Geoff.

Last edited:
Hi Geoff and other Seasonistas,

The site was down when I tried to post my Thursday entry and only returned a few hours ago.

So I maintained my one song per uke per day pace, as you can see if you go to the YouTube channel.

Here was one I did on my recently acquired (from Petaluma Rescuke, aka Spongeuke) Depression-era Martin 2. Between this and the Gibson, I'm a very satisfied uker.

It's honoring the late Curly Neal, longtime point guard for the Harlem Globetrotters and Greensboro, N.C. native, who passed Thursday. A legend of all time, but especially of my youth, watching him spin around and dribble the ball less than an inch from the court.

RIP, Curly. And we play Sweet Georgia Brown at the jam! Friday entry next.

Top Bottom