Season 409: The Virtual Ukulele Club

We're now under a shelter-at-home order in Wake County (where I live) and it'll be extended statewide Monday until April 29. You can do many things (mainly buying food and medicine), but the seating areas at restaurants and bars are closed, which has pummeled a lot of small businesses.

My niece and her husband arrived at the state park in their camper at Myrtle Beach, SC, less than an hour before they closed the campground to new arrivals. She's an administrator at a group of blood banks and jumped into duty to work at the clinics several days this week. She heads back Monday and needed a respite. The beaches are eerily empty.

So ... everybody go surfin'!

For Season 423 of the Ukulele, we're playing music of our ukulele "clubs". I lead several strum song circle type gatherings at the studio, but one of the ukulele gatherings I lead is the Artichoke Ukulele Orchestra (Ukestra); this is my five part arrangement of Henry Mancini's Pink Panther Theme which the Ukestra plays. Two tracks of concert ukulele, one track each of tenor, baritone, and Ubass.

Hey everybody - posting this a second time as I posted it back on Monday and it never has made it onto the playlist. Geoff said he put it on but I just checked and it seems to have been missed.

Last edited:
See the post in the Site Announcements section, and repeated in the "Welcome back UU" thread in Uke Talk. It looks as if this forum is on the way out, and we are being asked to sign up with a new forum on Discord.
One of the reasons given is that Discord is much easier to use on a phone/tablet, but I have just spent 30 minutes watching my phone refuse to install it. Anyone else tried? On a PC it looks...er...different...but as long as they recreate the Seasons, I'll be there.

I am posting two vids in a day but I recorded my previous vid yesterday and was unable to upload til today.
Anyway here is my last.
You don't need to be a believer to enjoy and acknowledge the religious genre.
I have played soprano tenor and bari this week. I do have an 8 string tenor, concert and sopranino and also a banjo uke and guitalele - important to introduce the whole uke family to your uke club imho....if pressed I'd probably pick the bari as my fav.....

Last edited:
Some songs really need to be played by a group. This is one. But I did it anyway, because I brought it to our jam and it has to have at least one banjolele to kick it off. You can help with the vocal echoes if you choose. 7 days, 7 uses. Day 8 will bring ... ?

See the post in the Site Announcements section, and repeated in the "Welcome back UU" thread in Uke Talk. It looks as if this forum is on the way out, and we are being asked to sign up with a new forum on Discord.
One of the reasons given is that Discord is much easier to use on a phone/tablet, but I have just spent 30 minutes watching my phone refuse to install it. Anyone else tried? On a PC it looks...er...different...but as long as they recreate the Seasons, I'll be there.
Hmmm - just signed up, but it’s more of a chat server than a traditional forum. Not quite sure how the seasons could work on that kind of platform? :confused:

Just downloaded Discord. It looks more like a chat app, but one of the UUers said it handled video uploads well. Rayan said he would create a special channel for the Seasons.

Hi Geoff and other Seasonistas,

The site was down when I tried to post my Thursday entry and only returned a few hours ago.

So I maintained my one song per uke per day pace, as you can see if you go to the YouTube channel.

Here was one I did on my recently acquired (from Petaluma Rescuke, aka Spongeuke) Depression-era Martin 2. Between this and the Gibson, I'm a very satisfied uker.

It's honoring the late Curly Neal, longtime point guard for the Harlem Globetrotters and Greensboro, N.C. native, who passed Thursday. A legend of all time, but especially of my youth, watching him spin around and dribble the ball less than an inch from the court.

RIP, Curly. And we play Sweet Georgia Brown at the jam! Friday entry next.

I didn't know that. I'm so sorry to hear that. I remember Curly dribbling the ball on the court many times on TV. He was so talented. I'll miss him.

Wow great! They fixed it!

OK... So... two days later than I planned, here is my contribution this week. A song about our confinement and what I hope we learn from it:

Hmmm - just signed up, but it’s more of a chat server than a traditional forum. Not quite sure how the seasons could work on that kind of platform? :confused:

Yeah, I agree. Maybe we should start a thread here in the SOTU realm and discuss options for how to continue this sub - forum if it is not convenient to participate in the discord app ~

this song I think would be perfect for any ukulele group -
simple chords, fun lyrics and a positive message
written by Evan Dando and Tom Morgan and recorded by The Lemonheads
this recording ft. Kevin on electric baritone ukulele
chords underneath so y'all can play along
thank you for this week Geoff

intro: (G) (C) (G) (C) (G) (C) (G) (C) (C)

(G)If I was a fridge, would you (C)open the door?
(G)If I was the (Em)grass, would you (D)mow your lawn?
(G)If I was a body, would you (C)still wear clothes?
(G)If I was a (Em)booger, would you (D)blow your nose?
Where would you (C)keep it? would you (D)eat it?
I'm just (G)tryin to give myself a (Em)reason, (C)for (D)being a(G)round.

intro: (G) (C) (G) (C) (C)

(G)If I was a front porch swing would you (C)let me hang?
(G)If I was a (Em)dance floor would you (D)shake your thang?
(G)If I was a rubber check would you (C)let me bounce
(G)Up and (Em)down inside your (D)bank account?
Would ya (C)trust me, not to (D)break you?
I'm just (G)tryin really hard to (Em)make you,
(C)Notice me (D)being a(G)round.

intro: (G) (C) (G) (C) (G) (C) (G) (C) (C) (C)

(G)If I was a haircut would you (C)wear a hat?
(G)If I was a (Em)maid, could I (D)clean your flat?
(G)If I was the carpet would ya (C)wipe your feet,
(G)In time to (Em)save me from mud (D)off the street?
If you (C)like me, if you (D)love me,
Would you (Em)get down on your knees and (Em)scrub me? (Em)
I'm a little (C)grubby
(D)From just being a(G)round.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe we should start a thread here in the SOTU realm and discuss options for how to continue this sub - forum if it is not convenient to participate in the discord app ~

I can't even sign up properly ... I normally use an Acer Chromebook and I'm not sure it is "Discord friendly". The same thought occurred to me about whether this new app is, in any case, relevant to our use of the Forum here on the Seasons. I think it definitely warrants further discussion.

I’m up for similar discussion. Though it looks like according to Ryan’s announcement this forum will stay up. Maybe it is worth clarifying what exactly that means before we try and figure a new thing out if we don’t have to.

I’m up for similar discussion. Though it looks like according to Ryan’s announcement this forum will stay up. Maybe it is worth clarifying what exactly that means before we try and figure a new thing out if we don’t have to.

Looking through the thread in Uke Talk, the opinions are that Discord is a chat facility, not a forum. Ryan is open to keeping or moving or upgrading this forum but it needs money and it needs more mods.

Yeah, seasons are up again. ... a song from Allan Taylor 1978, taken by Hannes Wader and transformed into German.
It's often one of our ending songs in our Vocalele singing group.

Taylor and Wader are singing together here: https://youtu.be/e07LNUo_YEs both original verses in the description

Looking through the thread in Uke Talk, the opinions are that Discord is a chat facility, not a forum. Ryan is open to keeping or moving or upgrading this forum but it needs money and it needs more mods.

So here’s an idea: as many Seasonistas as possible sign up as UU VIP members. It’s $5 per month or $45 per year. Do you think we’d have the numbers to make enough of a difference to keep the forum open?
See here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?45884-UU-VIP-Program

Great idea Del. Let's hope it's not too little too late.

Here's a uke club one. I don't belong to a uke club, but I imagine this would be a common one. Three chords, repeating, and by the Enigma himself (take all 17 minutes to listen to his newly released song if you haven't yet. It's kind of wild).

Somewhere Green

Greetings from the Morristown Uke Jam (which, YES, is now holding online jams on Wednesdays).

I wrote this a couple of years ago as an invitation to come join me. This'll be our 9th year playing music on the Morristown Green on Wednesday evenings. (Come warm weather and safe times.)

I did it. Eight songs, eight days, eight ukes.

Here's hoping we can soon be on the road again with our friends! Thanks for the great week, Geoff.

Top Bottom