Season 409: The Virtual Ukulele Club

Ahoy there
Great theme!
There is no Ukulele club in my region (and I don't think Iceland really has any ukulele clubs...) so you wonderful people are my actual, virtual ukulele club.
I thought of either going through the forums and finding a song that one of you have done (will do that later in the week) OR I could 'teach' something to my virtual ukulele club, so I made a little intro into open tuning.
Bob Dylan's Shelter from the Storm is in open-g tuning (from g=g, c=b, e=d, a=g) with the following chords (written out like tab sites do from a to g) A=0034, E=0032, D=0210
I cover this all in the opening minute of the video - the song itself begins 47sec into the video.
Tune up and join me in my rendition of

Good Morning from Sunny Teesside (yes it really is sunny).
Our wonderful (ahem!) government have decided to impose lockdown - sort of - so we're now stuck indoors most of the time. These online music sessions will be more important than ever.

Firstly thanks for all your contributions so far. We have had a wonderful selection including rock, folk, jazz, popular, etc. Keep them coming. It was also lovely to welcome back an old member - Hello Gina - good to see you back. If any others are lurking out there, come on in and join in. Everyone is welcome.
Here is another contribution from me. Stokesley U3A ukuleles (who I've recently joined) do this one and I have done it local folk clubs. Great fun song.

PS If I've commented on your video and missed you off the playlist, please let me know. by PM for preference but on here if you prefer.

i love participating in a good old strum and sing - especially to get the early 3 chord new players involved and having fun but if I were still involved in uke groups I'd be more interested in working up some riff skills and blues arrangements which ain't nearly as difficult as folk think...
4 chords here kinda in the key of E E A F#7 B7
riff is based on (0430 0000 0220 0000 x3 then the E 2100) x2
then 2223 2222 2222 2220 x2 2100 x2
2223 2222 2222 2220 x2 4352 x3 kind of cha cha y 1202
then the first line to end (I ended on E7 2130

Last edited:
This is a song I am considering for the band, as it is covered by U2. This People Have the Power by Patti Smith.
As it is long I experimented with some dynamics to perhaps liven it up a bit.

Another 3.5 chord masterpiece from John Fogerty. I think we do four CCR songs and I'd happily do many more.

Ive got 5 woman that I have been teaching in uke group lessons. Each week I make videos of the songs we are working on so they have a reference or something to play and sing along with. These are all good friends of mine so we spend a lot of time laughing and goofing off but the music part of it is special. We are working on Em at the moment. The Gypsy Rover and Crocodile Rock are the songs for this week. Most of the time these videos are one take unlisted vids just for them.

IMG_20200324_200437042.jpg
Last night was our first attempt at our usual Tuesday night session going online. We used Zoom, and it worked pretty well. The person who set the meeting up had the power to mute or unmute everybody, so we took it in turns to lead a song, with everybody apart from the leader muted. For some this was a scary experience, as they had never sung solo in front of us before, but they all rose to the challenge and felt better for it.

I may be back later with one of the songs we did.

View attachment 126089
Last night was our first attempt at our usual Tuesday night session going online. We used Zoom, and it worked pretty well. The person who set the meeting up had the power to mute or unmute everybody, so we took it in turns to lead a song, with everybody apart from the leader muted. For some this was a scary experience, as they had never sung solo in front of us before, but they all rose to the challenge and felt better for it.

fantastic Steve. great to hear you folks are able to carry things on mate.

View attachment 126089

There is someone there with the "power to mute" .. wow!!! Should be really interested to see one of your songs, Steve!

for me, I think any song w/ 3 chords or less is perfect for a uke group.
3 chords have a way of levelling out skill differences between individuals,
but, depending on the arrangement, can still provide solo opportunities for those who want to.
this one, a 3 chord strumathon. Richard Thompson.
kev and I took a swipe at it today.

Folk club favourite before anyone had ever heard of the Animals and Eric Burton.

Hello again, Geoff! Having real trouble with our Internet (never brilliant) at the moment ... it took ages to upload this, and I have tried to listen to other people's vids this week, but they keep buffering! Hopefully, I'll find a time of day (or night) when we have a better service ... there is obviously a very high demand just now. Anyway, I have seen this song in a number of uke group songbooks. The version here comes from the Mangotsfield Ukulele Jam songbook and has only three chords in the verse (A. A7 and D) and two in the chorus (C and Am). The "run down" on the C string is a bit of a killer, though - for me, anyway!

This is a really funny song an I „arranged“ it with a fantastic (lol lol lol) trombone solo. Have fun and keep on smiling

Another fine spring day on Teesside. Sods law, just as the stormy wet weather is replaced by fine weather, something crops up to prevent our enjoying it. Fortunately we have the seasons. You've been doing us proud and once again, there was a fine crop of songs yesterday.

Here's another from me. Another Tom Paxton song, nice melody and basic four chords. I IV V & vi. This would work well in a uke group.

The Portland Ukulele Association (PUA) is so fun, but due to my increasingly hectic life, I haven't made it to a get-together in years. Long-distance, any uke lover can check PUA's ukulele-friendly arrangements of popular songs in the the PUA Green Book and Orange Book.

To protect our community's health, PUA's March get-together was canceled. Here's a perfect-for-spring-in-Portland-Oregon song from the March song list (which they email out before every get-together).

Just like at a ukulele jam, I only did one take here. And just like at a jam, I only realized I was playing the lead wrong after the song ended. Heh.

Stay safe and healthy, Seasonistas!

What a great idea, Steve!

We may have to try this, too, even if we can't get all 30+ regulars to Zoom at once.

View attachment 126089

What a great idea, Steve!

We may have to try this, too, even if we can't get all 30+ regulars to Zoom at once.

Was thinking the same myself. My open mic is looking into something similar, would love to give that a go with you guys as well.

Top Bottom