String Reccomendations?

jnicholes

Reaction score
So, good news and bad news. Bad news first, I lost An antique in an accident. The good news is that the Person who did the damage has agreed to pay me $50 to make up for it.

No, it was not a car accident, it's actually difficult to explain.

However, this means I can get new strings for my ukuleles to give them a much better sound.

Here's where I want some help. I have:

Leolani Soprano Reentrant tuning (I prefer black strings for this one,)

Vizcaya Concert Linear tuning

Kmise Tenor Reentrant tuning

Does anybody have any good recommendations on brands of strings For each ukulele?

If you need more information on my ukuleles, like wood type, I will get it.

Jared

Aquila Nylgut string sound quality is fine on budget-priced all-laminate ukuleles. Some people don't like the feel of Aquila strings. Other brands may be thinner or softer or smoother etc.

I'd recommend UkeLogic strings found on Etsy or on the HMS site. Joel's done a great job of curating string sets that sound phenomenal. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever set you choose, but I might suggest listening to this podcast for sound samples and some discussion on hard tension and soft tension and what set goes well with what woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpcB4vouVT0&t=7s

So, good news and bad news. Bad news first, I lost An antique in an accident. The good news is that the Person who did the damage has agreed to pay me $50 to make up for it.

No, it was not a car accident, it's actually difficult to explain.

However, this means I can get new strings for my ukuleles to give them a much better sound.

Here's where I want some help. I have:

Leolani Soprano Reentrant tuning (I prefer black strings for this one,)

Vizcaya Concert Linear tuning

Kmise Tenor Reentrant tuning

Does anybody have any good recommendations on brands of strings For each ukulele?

If you need more information on my ukuleles, like wood type, I will get it.

Jared

For what it’s worth here’s my opinion formed from my experience over several years with my current and past Ukes - they are all inexpensive laminates. Short of specific replies from owners of the Ukes you mentioned my own rule of thumb is fit Martin Fluorocarbon Strings, a small step down lies Fremont Blacklines (I like those too, but they’re both difficult and expensive to get here in the U.K.) and then Aquila Nygluts. ‘Everything’ works with Nygluts but I’m indifferent about them, rather than the best option they’re more a reliable option that pretty much always gives good enough results. (Edit. Come to think of it genuine new Aquila Strings that come in an Aquila envelope sometimes seem different, in a better sort of way, to the Aquila strings that some Ukes come with ... could be a multitude of reasons for that.) Occasionally a Uke doesn’t work with the Martins, but they aren’t expensive and the risk is small enough to forget about - when that mismatch happens I revert to Aquila’s.

A good set-up helps a Uke sound its best too and so does a bone saddle - I sort those two out by myself, it’s not particularly difficult to do.

Good luck with your search and please post your findings (whether good or bad).

Last edited:
Top Bottom