Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele/Guitalele for kid

Default Ukulele/Guitalele for kid

I play guitar, mostly electric and my 6 year old daughter is inspired to try and learn a stringed instrument. She wants something with a natural wood (looks like my Yamaha acoustic).

She is really interested in my guitar gear and knows most of it, in fact she bust out in tears, when she heard me tell my wife that I was going to sell my VOX amp.

She has tried piano for a year but did not like the pressure of weekly lessons so I want something I could teach her (I am a qualified guitar tutor). She has tried to play my wife's acoustic guitar because it has a smaller bout, but since it is still a full size, she does not reach and I had to place a capo for her to be able to fret chords. She did not complain that I strung the acoustic with gauge 8 steel strings, which were what I had around. She tried to play several times but it is not practical for her. She is not very tall at about 1 meter.

Since she is very likely to play my gear when she grows older, I would really like her to play a 6 string instrument because of her character. What I am a bit concerned is that if she starts on a 4 string instrument and then I give her a 6 string one she would panic and not try to learn it. If she starts on a 6 string instrument and she decided to continue learning ukulele I would have no problem with that. I'd get her a proper solid wood instrument and try to find her a suitable tutor.

So to cut the story short, I was looking into tenor ukuleles and guitaleles, my biggest concern is the nut width. Since my daughter really liked my yamaha acoustic I looked at Yamaha GL1 guitalele but I'm concerned that the 47mm nut width is too much. Personally I do not play anything beyond 43mm because it feels uncomfortable and since my daughter's hands are smaller not sure how she would feel.

What models (guitalele or ukulele) would you recommend?
    Last edited by gabazz; 03-21-2020 at 04:34 PM.

You may want to look at 1/4 size guitars. I had this one with a 45mm nut and really didn't find it too cramped:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/cordob...tar-13089.html

The scale length is a bit longer at almost 19" but if the nut width is the primary concern, this is a good option. You could also get a GL1 and have a new nut cut with narrower string spacing

But starting on a 4 string and moving to 6 later is also an option.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Iif she wants a 6 stringed small instrument, there are 6 stringed ukuleles. The chords are the same shape, but since a uke is a 4th higher, what we play as G on a guitar is a 4th higher and is a C on a ukulele. The distributor I buy from has a MAP....Minimum ADVERTISED Price. So I cannot discuss on this site what would be your price for anything for your daughter. I am reachable at
    thecraftedcow@comcast.net if you are interested. I also have small guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    You may want to look at 1/4 size guitars. I had this one with a 45mm nut and really didn't find it too cramped:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/cordob...tar-13089.html

The scale length is a bit longer at almost 19" but if the nut width is the primary concern, this is a good option. You could also get a GL1 and have a new nut cut with narrower string spacing

But starting on a 4 string and moving to 6 later is also an option.
    my concern is that it it too spaced out not too cramped. I, as an adult, play 41-43mm guitars and find 44 and up too wide. If I cut a narrower nut, the neck would still be huge for the kid's hands. I guess I should look into 4 string ones.

Well, when I was looking at these, they were being marketed for 5 year olds, so.....
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Yeah, but being marketed, and being actually practical are 2 different things. A lot of stuff marketed at kids, is to just buy something to shut up the kids and then it get put in a corner and never used because it has too many problems. I'd get my daughter a 4 string ukulele if the guitalele is not really practical for her to play.

Yeah, it's hard to say what is practical *for her* without her trying it. The uke is probably a "safer" choice.
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Wave Music Center have ukuleles I believe. I'd visit them and any other shops in Malta to try out instruments in person.

If you want her to play anything with nylon strings you actually do want the nut (and fretboard) to be wider because the strings themselves are thicker than steel strings and you need more room.

From my experience of guitaleles, you want the width to be wider than the Yamaha guitalele.
    The Yamaha is hardly wide enough to be comfortable.

Cordoba makes a really nice guitalele with the appropriate nut width.

Alternatively, if she is going to play guitar... then get her a guitar.
    Travel sized steel string guitars (Yamaha, Tanglewood, etc), or 3/4 sized classical guitars will probably be suitable. It is common for children her age to play actual guitar without necessarily using ukulele or guitalele as a stepping stone.
    Last edited by kissing; 03-31-2020 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    From my experience of guitaleles, you want the width to be wider than the Yamaha guitalele.
    The Yamaha is hardly wide enough to be comfortable.

Cordoba makes a really nice guitalele with the appropriate nut width.
    And that's personal preference. The Yamaha is 48mm but as I said, even the 44mm C1m was fine to me. But I did not like the 50mm of the Córdoba Mini. Their guitalele is supposedly 46mm which is splitting hairs
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Bonanza SLN GCEA