Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukulele/Guitalele for kid

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    And that's personal preference. The Yamaha is 48mm but as I said, even the 44mm C1m was fine to me. But I did not like the 50mm of the Córdoba Mini. Their guitalele is supposedly 46mm which is splitting hairs
    There's a reason why nylon string guitars have wider nut spacings than steel strings, generally speaking.

Yamaha guitalele has simulated steel string guitar spacings, not nylon string guitar.

If you prefer narrow spacings, so be it, but generally speaking due to thickness of the strings the nut spacings need to be addressed.
    When I played the Yamaha guitalele at store, I thought it was great and bought it.
    Upon ownership, the narrowness adversely affecting play really became obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    When I played the Yamaha guitalele at store, I thought it was great and bought it.
    Upon ownership, the narrowness adversely affecting play really became obvious.
    when I played the GL1 in store, I thought it was horribly cramped, so got a Mini. After playing for a while, it was not comfortable- too much hand stress from stretching.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Just my two cents, but I think the ukulele is better for a 6-year old hand. Much easier to make chords. Let her develop finger strength and dexterity on the ukulele, learn how to strum and sing at the same time, and learn different strumming patterns, then she can graduate to a guitar when she gets older. Nothing wrong with being able to play both a guitar and ukulele.

Thread Information