Our Online Jam

How did you run it? One-to-many or many-to-many? We’ve done a couple with Zoom and had everybody but the leader mute during the song to avoid latency problems.

How did you run it? One-to-many or many-to-many? We’ve done a couple with Zoom and had everybody but the leader mute during the song to avoid latency problems.

I am, myself, wondering which system is better: Wedex or Zoom? Participated in a yoga class the other day with Zoom and it worked well. But there were only 5 of us.

We had one leader, active most of the time. He switched off to two other leaders. Only one person cold add sound at a time. We're trying Zoom this afternoon.

I am, myself, wondering which system is better: Wedex or Zoom? Participated in a yoga class the other day with Zoom and it worked well. But there were only 5 of us.

That would be a good idea our the library. Before it closed, it canceled all groups. Charging the people and paying the instructor would be a problem to solve. Of course, there are lots of free yoga classes available online.

We may give Webex a try. So far we've tried Zoom and Discord, and I think Discord was a bit easier to use. But neither allows sound from more than one player at a time.

We had one leader, active most of the time. He switched off to two other leaders. Only one person cold add sound at a time. We're trying Zoom this afternoon.

That would be a good idea our the library. Before it closed, it canceled all groups. Charging the people and paying the instructor would be a problem to solve. Of course, there are lots of free yoga classes available online.

The leader of my group and I tested YouTube Live and Zoom the other day. Only the leader can have audio active, there's a delay/latency when more than one person has their audio on, especially when playing music together. There is a chat section for the members of the group to communicate with each other.

In two hours, eight of us are going to do another test of Zoom, our leader, Cali Rose, says it worth it to her to pay for the service because she teaches privately, both classes at Boulevard Music in Culver City, and individually, either at her home or at a clients place, Zoom will give her the ability to do online individual sessions. She tends to be technofobic, but the virus has forced her to face her fears. In the YouTube test, all was going well until we played something, "La Cucaracha" but the session was cut off, she got a message that it was a violation of their rules, I just looked up the rules, her channel does not have 1,000 subscribers.

We also tested payment with PayPal, which worked fine, and she's looking into Patreon.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

My son did his weekly violin lesson Friday via ZOOM. I was not present but he said is worked pretty well. The only thing he said was the teacher and he did not play at the same time as they do when together. We'll continue with this I'm pretty sure.

Keep us posted on how tech connections and playing are working out. I'm looking to make connections with friends here and there and see if we can jam together.

Keep Well!

I asked the same question in another post. I was in two jams with Zoom and it worked well with the large one where only the leader group was heard. The small one with six participants was disappointing as audio was poor and lag high and fluctuating. I also have a WebEx account and was wondering how that might work. There are also dedicated services for musical collaboration but I am clueless about those.

Would love to find a way to do a jam where everybody could play and be heard without a lag.

I think an open mic on Zoom is perfect for the medium. Then there’s always going back to laying down tracks. Not live but it’s something. Also the trend on Twitter now is everybody singing one line and splicing it together. See Gal Gadot’s Imagine.

Discord? I have no idea if there is lag but it is a great platform.

Our test today with Zoom worked out well. We had eight people participating and only the leader's audio was on when we were all playing, she can control muting of everyone. In between playing, we all had our audio on but had to be careful not to talk when someone else is talking because they get cut off. We each can mute ourselves and when wanting to be heard, just hold the space bar, sort of like a walky-talky, which is also helpful if your side is noisy or when you want to tuneup or talk to someone on your side (which happened a number of times and did cut off the participant talking).

Would love to find a way to do a jam where everybody could play and be heard without a lag.

My nephew is an agent here in Hollywood for film music composers, one of his clients is stuck in New York but was supposed to go to Germany to oversee a symphony recording. My nephew tells me they used a super high end expensive service that allows them to do that.

I have a very fast internet service, over 400 Mbps, and our leader has over 200 Mbps, we had delay/latency and stepped on each other all through the test, and even when only she and I were on.

Top Bottom