Lava uke & WD40

terrgy

Reaction score
In an earlier post, concerning the space case that comes with the new Lava uke, I wrote: “The clear plastic top scratches and/or smudges very easy.” I still stand by this opinion. One has to be careful and aware.

I tried tried several methods to remove three of these to no avail. Until. Ta-da. WD40 to the rescue. Sprayed a little on, let it be for a couple of minutes, then wiped with a soft cloth, and the ugly was gone.

I just wanted to share this info to help someone who might now or eventually have to deal with this problem.

WD40 also is the best medicine I’ve found to remove bug stains from a vehicle.

Last edited:
Good to know. I'm assuming that the WD-40 made the scratches invisible, rather than actually removing them. There are several products that will remove scratches from plastic. I'm going to see if I can find a clear stick-on protector of some kind, like an LCD protector. Mine should arrive in a few weeks.

I wonder how tough that plastic is, in terms of resisting breakage.

Good to know. I'm assuming that the WD-40 made the scratches invisible, rather than actually removing them. There are several products that will remove scratches from plastic. I'm going to see if I can find a clear stick-on protector of some kind, like an LCD protector. Mine should arrive in a few weeks.

I wonder how tough that plastic is, in terms of resisting breakage.

The clear plastic top seems really stout. I don’t think breaking/cracking would be a problem, unless it’s violent if some sort.

A protective film sounds like a great idea.

If you find protective film, the automotive industry might be a good source, you might want to check if it has UV protection as well. Many of the clear polymer plastics yellow and become brittle from UV exposure from sunlight. IE: Headlight covers.

There are some liquid protectants that are supposed to form a hard, scratch-resistant coating. Similar to eyeglasses protective coatings.

And liquid coatings to protect phone screens. Bit those have to be reapplied once a year.

How is the static attraction to dust on these? You wipe them with a piece of cloth (or rabbit fur) and they immediately become dust magnets.

I was at a festival and got a couple of stickers that I stuck on my ukulele for the duration. They were very cool at the time. A month later, not so cool. I peeled them off and they left sticky adhesive on the ukulele. I used WD-40 to get the sticky off. Works great. The ukulele wasn't the first thing that I've used WD-40 on to get the goo off, but it was the first time I used it on a ukulele. No problem at all. Wiped it off with a clean cotton cloth and it has been fine ever since. So a second on the WD-40. I don't use it just as a polish though, because it stinks up the basement. But then I don't polish my ukuleles, so not and issue I guess.

Top Bottom