NUD: Pineapple Baritone with a big sound

Doc_J

Reaction score
Earlier this week I got something I had been looking to find for a while, a Pineapple Baritone Uke! Double bonus it was made by Gary Creed.

Had one of Gary's baritones before that was awesome, but sold it in downsizing purge last year. Well, after seeing a post on FB from Creedy,s Workshop I found some of Gary's ukes for sale at Fret Mill Music's website. To make a long story short, I got one, this Pineapple Baritone.

Gary's instruments are solid sounding and playing, but they definitely make me remember that ukes are folk instruments, more for playing and less for critiquing for perfection. Love this one. Gary names all his instruments. This one is named "Hey Good Lookin". Top is Acacia and the back and sides are Sapele. Neck is curly maple with a walnut center. The rosewood fretboard is bound with curly maple. It definitely has a big, resonant sound. Fortunately it is not a boxy sound.

Here's some pics and a sound sample.
https://app.box.com/s/ed8yxxts0tkkfw9pn0rqg90br952ltcw

P1090353a by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090352a by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090351a by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090356a by hejenkins, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice lookin’ baritone. I like everything about it. I hardly ever play my small ukes any more. I usually only play my baritone and sometimes my eighter for singin’.

My baritone is tuned the same as my two tenor guitars, and I use it like one. You’re a lucky dog. :eek:ld:

Congratulation Hodge. Nice sound Baritone. I like big body tenors so been wondering about a grant tenor. I like the shape of this baritone. I have a Tiny Tenor and it has a huge sound for the size. My Moodyville Gypsey tenor is still running strong and sounding fantastic. I recently put a low G on it and is sounds great. glad to see you are having fun and still seeking out new instrument. Take care

I like pineapples and baritones. Why not both? :shaka:

That's nice execution of an intriguing concept!

Congrats on an awesome-sounding Baritone! Thanks for the nice photos, too!

I can't ever remember seeing a pineapple baritone. Very cool! Looks and sounds great.

Nice looking and sounding bari....love the mid-tones in particular. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Aquilas. Congrats!!

Nice looking and sounding bari....love the mid-tones in particular. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Aquilas. Congrats!!

Hi Steve,

Usually, I prefer fluorocarbon trebles, but these Aquila Lava strings seem to fit this baritone.

Congrats, Hodge!

That is a good looking baritone Hodge.......its has an organic feel and appearance . I like it and I agree with you about it encompassing a “Folk Instrument” vibe. A nice full sound with good note separation as well. I am usually not a fan of herringbone trim but I really like it on this instrument, a well executed design

Beautiful Baritone and great sounding too.
Congratulations.

I've been quite impressed with Aquilla Strings on my baris.

Usually I go for FCs.

Thanks for nice comments everyone.

This "Good Lookin" Gary Creed baritone, is fairly light. The top is so responsive, yet clear. Can't seem to overdrive it. It really does project and could be heard in a crowd (especially if I used the double piezo passive pickup inside). Definitely one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) volume ukes I have played. The sound board is the largest of any uke I've played, and all of that top is responding.

Here's another pic.

P1090355a by hejenkins, on Flickr

Love everything about this uke Hodge! Especially the cute matching dimples on the top, the size and most of all the sound. Really warm full sounding ~

Top Bottom