Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can my ukulele group set up a virtual play-along?

Default How can my ukulele group set up a virtual play-along?

After attending a virtual cocktail party using Zoom (highly recommended!) I wondered if it would be possible to do a jam online with my ukulele group. There's a delay with Zoom that makes playing together impossible and the sound quality is okay for speech, but not so good for music. A friend looked into JamKazam but it requires equipment that most of us don't have access to.

There could be as few as 4 or as many as 30 people interested in participating. Yup, I'm a dreamer, but does anybody know of an easy way to play together in real-time from wherever we're hunkered down?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lillymo; 03-22-2020 at 06:12 PM.

I’m subscribing to this thread

Check out these threads:

In general it's one-to-many. Latency problems will prevent playing with everybody sharing audio with current technology. You may get a couple of people in sync with low latency audio input and excellent network conditions, but not dependable under real word conditions. Jamkazaam may be slightly better than conferencing software (zoom/teams/slack/etc) but reviews suggest limited success.
    Last edited by Arcy; 03-22-2020 at 01:19 PM.

I have used both of these platforms, which offer free plans and paid ones:

https://zoom.us/pricing (There's a free plan for up to 100, for max 40 min sessions)

https://www.uberconference.com/pricing (Up to 50 ppl)
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

Quote Originally Posted by kookoolele View Post
    I have used both of these platforms, which offer free plans and paid ones:

https://zoom.us/pricing (There's a free plan for up to 100, for max 40 min sessions)

https://www.uberconference.com/pricing (Up to 50 ppl)
    Thank you kookoolele. I haven't tried uberconference. I didn't have much success with zoom because of the lag. Does uberconference have a similar delay? I've read on other threads that some groups work around this by having the leader mute the followers during songs. I was hoping to find a way for everybody to play together.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Check out these threads:

In general it's one-to-many. Latency problems will prevent playing with everybody sharing audio with current technology. You may get a couple of people in sync with low latency audio input and excellent network conditions, but not dependable under real word conditions. Jamkazaam may be slightly better than conferencing software (zoom/teams/slack/etc) but reviews suggest limited success.
    Thank you! I should've guessed this was already a forum topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Lillymo View Post
    Thank you kookoolele. I haven't tried uberconference. I didn't have much success with zoom because of the lag. Does uberconference have a similar delay? I've read on other threads that some groups work around this by having the leader mute the followers during songs. I was hoping to find a way for everybody to play together.
    Yes, all services have the delay, unless you pay really big bucks for an extremely fast wide bandwidth service. After testing a few services, the only way it can work is the leader has audio on and everyone else be muted and play, only hearing the leader and yourself.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If you have a Windows PC just use Microsoft Teams. I believe they just rolled it for consumers recently. Fairly simple to use and sound quality is on par with competition. Although, their servers might be under quite a bit of stress for the next few weeks/months since so many people are working from home and using Teams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Yes, all services have the delay, unless you pay really big bucks for an extremely fast wide bandwidth service. After testing a few services, the only way it can work is the leader has audio on and everyone else be muted and play, only hearing the leader and yourself.

Our group tried zoom last week, had to mute everybody but the leader, but got to connect with the group.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

My third grade class is now virtual for an hour a day. We use Zoom. It works fine, but it's not set up for music, just speech. The leader can use a background (like space or whatever picture you upload.)
    But, everyone is muted, except for the leader. The leader can then choose a person and unmute them so the rest of the class can hear the teacher/student conversation. When I'm done with the class, I unmute everyone and they all yell each others names, etc. (Hey Suzie! Hey Billy, etc.)
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

Thread Information