Superstar (Carpenters)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
It might be hard to believe, but Karen Carpenter would have turned 70 earlier this month if she hadn't passed away so young. My little tribute to one of the greatest female voices in pop music history.

Thanks, Campbell! It's a strange time in the world. Stay safe!

Great old song. Great performance as always. Her story is very sad despite all her successes in life. Let's hope she finally found peace wherever she is now.
Well done John.

Thanks, Dave! She's been gone a long while, but definitely not forgotten!

Thanks for another blast from the past, John. My record collection contains quite a few by The Carpenters. I still play them from time to time, and always sing along. Karen was one of the few singers of that era whose vocal register was low enough to be comfortable for my singing voice. (And, yes, part way through your video, I started singing along with you ... just couldn’t resist.) :)

Jan

Thanks, Jan! It always makes me glad to imagine someone singing along with my video! Take care and stay safe! :)

Nice job. Karen really did have a great voice and was a very expressive singer. She left this world far too young.

Another winner, John. I can't hear Carpenters music without feeling some sadness. I get the same feeling when listening to John Lennon, George Harrison, etc. What a gift they gave us. Thanks so much for posting your rendition.

Bill

Thanks, EDW and Bill! I still remember being in my classroom (I was a young teacher), trying to "process" the fact that Karen Carpenter was gone. I must have read about her passing in the newspaper. I clearly remember where I was when I heard about the passing of Elvis, John Lennon, and Michael Jackson.

Thanks, John! I really appreciate it! Stay safe!

Another blast from the past. As usual, excellently done John. Thanks for sharing. Keep healthy!

Thanks, luv2uke! You be careful, too! A famous comedian just passed away in Japan due to coronavirus. It's serving as a real wake-up call to people who hadn't taken the virus seriously before. The scariness level just went up a notch!

I had a request for the chords, so I think I'll add it here:

[intro: Am /// C /// F /// C /// D7 /// G- F- Dm7- Em7- Am /// ////

[Am] Long ago [C] and oh so [F] far away [C]
I fell in [D7] love with you [F] before the [E7] second show
[Am] Your guitar, [C] it sounds so [F] sweet and clear [C]
But you're not [D7] really here, [F] it's just the [E7] radio

[F] Don't you remember you [Em] told me you [Dm] love me, [C] baby
You [F] said you'd be coming [Em] back this [Dm] way again, [C] baby
[F] Baby, baby, [Em] baby, [Dm] baby, oh [C] baby
I [Bb] love you, [C] I really do

Am /// C /// F /// C /// D7 /// G- F- Dm7- Em7- Am /// ////

[Am] Loneliness [C] is such a [F] sad affair [C]
And I can [D7] hardly wait [F] to be with [E7] you again
[Am] What to say [C] to make you [F] come again [C]
Come back to [D7] me again, [F] and play your [E7] sad guitar

[F] Don't you remember you [Em] told me you [Dm] love me, [C] baby
You [F] said you'd be coming [Em] back this [Dm] way again, [C] baby
[F] Baby, baby, [Em] baby, [Dm] baby, oh [C] baby
I [Bb] love you, [C] I really do [Em]

Thanks John, another great number and performed so well.

Always enjoy your work, thank you.:)

Thanks, Santa! Wishing safety for you and your loved ones during this time!

I’ve read Kate considered herself a drummer who sang, but...
I could and can wrap myself in the contra-alto that she had.
So sad she left us so soon.

Thanks for the tribute

Thanks, Another Ukulele! It was a good move to have Karen up front as the lead singer, instead of behind everybody and the drum kit. Yes, she left us way too soon!

Top Bottom