NUD - Vintage 1920s Gibson

eculuke

Reaction score
Lots of martins had to throw in my Gibson. Very fine playing uke!! Awesome original soft case. Circa 1920s

IMG_0783.jpgIMG_0787.jpgIMG_0784.jpgIMG_0785.jpg

I like it! It's an early incarnation, so would it have a FON pencilled on the neck block inside? Gibson used a strikingly ribboned mahogany for these instruments.

Red Hat Service? Right Hand Side? Royal Horicultural Society? Relative Humidity Sensor inside?

That is very similar to my own 1928 example. Yours seems to have survived in better condition. Despite the fact that mine has had a hard life, it still plays well and sounds fine. I haven't weighed it, but each time I pick it up it surprises me with its lack of heft.

John Colter

ps. Mine has no pencil marks on the neck block

Last edited:
My old Gibson soprano has a slightly different voice than the old Martins I have heard.
I also have a 1926 Tenor with a sunburst top that is a real sweetie too.

My old Gibson soprano has a slightly different voice than the old Martins I have heard.
I also have a 1926 Tenor with a sunburst top that is a real sweetie too.

I have a late 20's sunburst Gibson tenor that is my go to uke.
I also have a Martin 60's tenor that is wonderful too - just a slightly different sound.
The Gibson/ Martin sound differences that apply to acoustic guitars seem to apply to ukes too:
Martin sweet, airy, lots of overtones; Gibson sweet, woody, "bluesy", more focused.
In fact my favourite pastime at the moment is playing blues on my Gibson.

I have a late 20's sunburst Gibson tenor that is my go to uke.
I also have a Martin 60's tenor that is wonderful too - just a slightly different sound.
The Gibson/ Martin sound differences that apply to acoustic guitars seem to apply to ukes too:
Martin sweet, airy, lots of overtones; Gibson sweet, woody, "bluesy", more focused.
In fact my favourite pastime at the moment is playing blues on my Gibson.

Do you have any idea how much your Gibson is worth?
I was shocked when a reputable vintage dealer told me about mine.

That market can vary quite a bit. For the most part I have seen these go for far less than that. Nonetheless, it is a lovely instrument

They're pretty rare beasts - maybe $1500USD.

That’s what I was estimating. The vintage dealer quoted me north of 3k and said I should not take less than 3k.
I realize the market is very finicky, but I don’t have any plans to sell.

Neither do I.
Back to the thread....
Eculuke - your Gibby soprano looks wonderful.
Martin made far more ukes than Gibson, but Gibson certainly made fine instruments. Their plainer sopranos tend to go for less than Martin, but are equally worthy.
The other great uke from that era is Favilla.
I have a rockin' little Favilla soprano; well made, big sound, great player.

Wow, it's a beauty! I think you should post some better pics of it in uke p***!

Gorgeous!

I got mine for a relative steal because the headstock logo was covered by a label from the store where it was first sold in the late '20s: Black, Derges & Marshall in Peoria, Illinois. It also has a sticker from the store inside.

It has a different sound than the Martin 2. Haven't played either enough to say in what way. But they're both honeys.

You'll love that Gibson!

1920s The Gibson

Today is bright and sunny so I took The Gibson outside. I think of it as "Frank's Gibson" because scratched on the back is, "I Love You, Frank" and the date "Feb 26th 1928". To me that gives the uke a unique character, provenance, Mojo.

Whatever Frank's story was, it will always be Frank's uke. I am just the present custodian.

John Colter
The Gibson 1928 - Frank's uke.jpg

Top Bottom