Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cheap uke roll call

Great to see so much love, and so many great memories from cheap ukes!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Dang. Uncle Rod and MutinousDoug really upped the game on this thread. Both stories are fantastic!
    Yeah, The store marked it as a "toy Guitar" which they only missed by guitar/ukulele definition.
    It mostly hangs on the wall in the bedroom unless I don't want to go "all-the-way" to the other end of the house to get the tuner or play my Makala or Magic Fluke.

Hi John, we are starting to produce a wider nut ukulele now, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmise ukulele View Post
    Hi John, we are starting to produce a wider nut ukulele now, thanks!
    Wow, that's great, thanks for listening, I can't wait to try one, it will really help me play more accurately. Please post here on UU when these are available, I'll be the 1st in line!

Not sure what exact specs you have in mind, but for tenor, a 38mm nut would be great. And even more importantly, a 29-30mm string spread at nut would be outstanding. A 38mm nut with only 27mm string spead is such a waste. As you may know, there are very few less expensive tenors being made with these specs, so I bet that model will sell very well.

I hope you'll offer a tenor with solid spruce top with the wider specs. I wanted to buy a spruce top tenor from Kmise, but held back because of the nut/spread specs, once I received my mahogany version.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 04-17-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Kmise ukulele View Post
    ... we are starting to produce a wider nut ukulele now
    There is an optimum nut width for adult hands and IMHO it is wider than the currently available ukuleles. You’d need to check the details with Timbuck but the early Martins got it right. I’m thinking 37mm nut and 30mm across strings, but of course they were made to nominal Imperial dimensions instead. Of course you could go wider than that but those early Martins likely were the optimum size.

For an adult player a wide nut and a larger body Soprano would make a lot of sense. I think that some of the better solid wood Regals had a 7” or larger lower boute, a bigger body has advantages hence Kala use 7”.

Thanks again, Ziret!
    I truly enjoy the HPL Enya Soprano, especially with your modifications/improvements

if you will email me, I will reply with a link to a STRUM Zoom event for tonight,
    Friday April 17th, from 6-7p. There may be up to a dozen on board, but it
    is very informal so no worries. ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

keep uke'in',

PS the STRUM Zoom meetups are currently scheduled for each Friday until
    we can formally meet again at the Kona Kitchen Restaurant (85th and 5th NE,
    Maple Leaf neighborhood, West of Lake City).
    Last edited by Uncle Rod Higuchi; 04-17-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

I just posted about it on another thread, but Monoprice (mostly an electronics company) makes some instruments including their soprano Idyllwild. Normally $40 with a gig bag, but I think it's $30 right now, which is how much i got it for. It's decent quality and better than some others that cost more than double.

And another vote for Enya's X1M HPL, which was astounding for the price. I managed to get two for $25 each to give as kids' gifts.

None of my instruments are in the "pricey" range but my first was an Ohana PK10,a soprano mahogany laminate. I purchased this to help me teach our eldest grandson,then about 7 years old, play an instrument and I was having big problems holding and playing guitar after many years playing that instrument. The little pineapple still gets played and feels comfortable to play and sounds reasonable it cot about £50 UK. My current go to soprano,a Baton Rouge long neck still cost less than £100 UK but I have ideas of buying a luthier build instrument when this pandemic is over and I'm allowed out to play and visit sellers.

Makala Concert with a passive pickup. $70 used on the eBay. Great for gigging with my amp. I play sopranos 90% of the time but I don’t mind taking the Makala anywhere.
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Won't it be nice when all our groups can meet in person again? I'll be interested to see how yours works online.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    Thanks again, Ziret!
    I truly enjoy the HPL Enya Soprano, especially with your modifications/improvements

if you will email me, I will reply with a link to a STRUM Zoom event for tonight,
    Friday April 17th, from 6-7p. There may be up to a dozen on board, but it
    is very informal so no worries. ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

keep uke'in',

PS the STRUM Zoom meetups are currently scheduled for each Friday until
    we can formally meet again at the Kona Kitchen Restaurant (85th and 5th NE,
    Maple Leaf neighborhood, West of Lake City).

Thread Information