Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cheap uke roll call

Default Favorite Cheap uke roll call

Your favorite cheap uke, priced $100.00 and under brand new. What's yours?

Mine is a Kmise laminate mahogany tenor, $43.00 from Amazon. I installed Ratio tuners. Surprisingly good sound, and the only uke I use Nylguts on. Nice slim neck, which I like. Standard 35mm nut. 27.5mm string spread, which I'd prefer a bit wider. Gotta learn how to cut a new nut myself.

2.jpg
    1.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-23-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    John

HanoHano long neck soprano picked up for $85 in Honolulu. It has a very wide nut so is easy to play for beginners. Sounds almost as nice as my expensive solid ukes. Perfect for Kanikapila at the beach.

Kala KA-SLNG long neck laminate mahogany soprano - one of my first ukes, & still picked up & played 4 years later.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I have a Yellow Mahalo U30 I bought more than fifteen years ago. It needed the usual basic fettling and the result is a uke that sounds far better that it should. My favourite cheap uke is branded "Burks" and is a soprano bought direct from China on AliExpress - about US$30. It is made from that mysterious material HPL. It lives in the car and gets quite a bit of use. It is good to play and, in the confines of the car, the sound and volume are well on the right side of acceptable. Oh, and it looks like a proper musical instrument, too.

John Colter

Flight TUS-35LB. Currently $62 from Amazon. Other colours running under 50.

It's the only sub-$100 uke that I have no regrets or reservations about, and it's the one that rescued sopranos in my mind. Played well out of the box (good thing, since standard setup bits weren't adjustable - I think they are on current one). I really like the sound, even if it's not woody. It lives on my desk at work, and I'm kind of missing it while I shelter at home. I have no qualms recommending this one to anybody who asks.

Second place: Enya EUS-X1 Soprano. Currently $72 on Amazon. Rated "meh" for no particularly good reason. It's playable, and it sounds fine, but it just doesn't excite me. The appearance leaves me cold - The Facacia finish lands in the uncanny valley for me and just doesn't look quite right. I'd rather an HPL that reveled in its HPLness instead of trying to pretend it's wood. Can't get a Bonanza for under $100 though

Dishonorable mention to the Fender Venice - my first uke and very pretty to my eyes. Lovely Lake Placid Blue. Not so pretty to my ears. It played fine after setting up, but still didn't sound great. Currently loaned to a friend's daughter. She chose it over the Enya based on looks. She wasn't offered the Flight. That one's mine.

Just missing the cut: my Vorson FLPUK-2 LP solid-body electric. I love this guy. It's sitting next to my work-from-home desk plugged into a wee little Honeytone amp. It'd probably get first place, but it took work to set up and can't get an unqualified recommendation. The current pricing is $103 from Amazon, so just barely out of category for this thread today.
    Last edited by Arcy; 03-23-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Enya EUS-X1 Soprano ($72 at Amazon) is my only cheap uke. I bought it because of a good review on gotaukulele.com and have been happy with it. It lays around the couch ready to grab and travels without worries. It's easy to play and has a good, balanced HPL sound.

I'm going now to buy the long neck version of the Flight soprano Arcy mentioned ($48 at Amazon). I'm curious and it's a cheap way to take care of my UAS for a while.

My $65 Makala concert that was my first uke. I was noodling around on it this morning in my easy chair. I play it a lot.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

The kala 15s has been a long favorite of mine. I’ve bought many for $30 or less. Can’t beat them for the price. I have a Mahalo u-330 that I really like and the newer Hano Mahalos are pretty decent for the price. I haven’t been playing a ton lately but I am really embracing the cheap ukuleles!

I've had two of the soprano version and it's great. I'm thinking about my own answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Your favorite cheap uke, priced $100.00 and under brand new. What's yours?

Mine is a Kmise laminate mahogany tenor, $43.00 from Amazon. I installed Ratio tuners. Surprisingly good sound, and the only uke I use Nylguts on. Nice slim neck, which I like. Standard 35mm nut. 27.5mm string spread, which I'd prefer a bit wider. Gotta learn how to cut a new nut myself.

2.jpg
    1.jpg

CB Gitty Bento box.....You do have to put it together and set it up yourself. $39.99 ...Even though I made mine 3 strings.. CEA...it's uke enough..

Enya Nova U.

Enya concert...can't remember the model number. Came with a good case and other accessories for about $50 on Amazon. It's the HPL mahogany one.

Flight TUS35 Also around $50.

The first one I mentioned is the only one I still have, but I like the others, especially for the price.

Honorable mention:
    I also had a Kala something or another I got from MIM.. It was soprano...I think it was under $100..and pretty nice. Laminate mahogany.
    Last edited by jer; 03-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Thread Information