Thread: spotty wood

Default spotty wood

I bought some Amazon Rosewood which during steam bending brought out a lot of spots, assuming tannins. This is not unusual, and they usually sand off. In this case they would not sand off as it seems to go all the way through. I tried rubbing again with water since they are most likely water soluble stains, but that barely lightened the spots. I also tried rubbing with alchohol. Now I can see that the spots existed to a minor amount in the back wood also which did not have any water exposure. Do any of you have any suggestions?
    I think tannins are acidic, so maybe a rub with an alkaline solution. I tried a little tru oil on a scrap to see how much it will disguise, but not much.
    IMG_1088.jpg

Hey Kev, your picture is pretty small low res and it is hard to see the spots. Maybe a close up and higher resolution of the spots would be better?

Default better pictures

The forum seems to always want to compress my 3mb picture files into 17kb thumbnails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Kev, a couple things to try; a bleach solution may make the spots disappear or at least fade. Try some different concentrations on some scraps to see what happens. Also, sometimes these things largely disappear under the finish, so put some of whatever finish you intend to use on and see what happens.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Your pictures are posted as thumbnails. Mine embed using the icon here on the reply dashboard. This is probably an issue with the UU server. Try making your pictures less than 3Mb by decreasing the pixels. Generally this can be done by "exporting" a picture and using a slider to decrease pixels. There is usually no noticeable decrease in quality. Or, set your camera to lower resolution. Hope this helps.

As to the spots, I see the same thing when bending EI rosewood, but they seem to be surface only and sand out. Why yours go all the way through is baffling to me. Just might be that piece of wood for some reason. I would keep sanding if you have the "meat" and see if they go away. They should.

IMG_1088.jpgThanks Sequoia, I see the insert image icon and tried that for an experiment. Lmii said in the product description that the wood came in pretty wet in 2012 and has been sitting in billets since. That extra initial moisture may have made the difference. I tried a mild chlorine bleach solution as BuzzBD suggested, but it did nothing. I tried Bar Keepers Friend which is a wood bleach (acidic) which did nothing, and finally found that repeated rubbing with baking soda dissolved in water, and then sanding, lightened the spots enough to look like they are normal especially after applying a finish. Just a characteristic of the wood.
    Last edited by Kelali Kev; 03-24-2020 at 03:13 AM.

https ://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431498

Take out the space.

Thread Information