Nut width on Grand tenor and comments from owners

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the Nut width on the all solid wood Grand Tenors by Romero Creations! Also, comments from owners on how they like this ukulele and perhaps wood choices.

I see from Uke republic that they still have a solid top/ laminate Grand tenor and list nut width as 1.5”. I assume the all solid wood ones would be the same but thought I would ask.

I have a TT with solid top/laminate sides and it has a great voice and is very articulate. I would consider the Grand tenor in similar configuration but am on the hunt for an all solid Grand tenor - used is fine.

I can’t find much stock of these on line and given world situation, it could be while.

Curious on owner comments while we all window shop and hope the world order returns to some form of normalcy!

Hope every is doing well ini isolation.

Cheers

I've played my friend's solid mahogany grand tenor many times and the 1.5" nut feels comfy to me. The flat thin neck isn't my cup 'o tea—I prefer thicker ones—but some love it. It has a sweet mellow voice with more of the fundamental tone resulting in a deeper and fuller timbre. However, I found volume somewhat soft compared to standard mahogany tenors like my Kala Elite Doghair and a Tiny Tenor koa I compared it to. The slightly larger size makes it a joy to hold. I also prefer the GT's open geared tuners over the UPTs used on the Replica tenors—easier to turn and a snap to fine tune. Those UPTs dig into my fingers too much due to all the back and forth for fine adjustments.

Thanks for reply. I’m surprised at volume comment. I would have thought the larger body would give More volume. Also surprised that GT has open back tuners. I missed that one. I do like open back tuners but what tuner on my TT are fine. Your descriptions of tone are always appreciated in posts and in your reviews. I appreciate a players perspective. I’ve been wanting to try the UPTs for feel, again...... another comment that surprised me.

Appreciate other comments on woods and tone by other owners or people who have played. I’m very far from a ukulele store so I always buy on line.

Cheers

The UPTs need to be adjusted so they're on the stiff side, otherwise they drift flat. The buttons are tiny—barely any leverage—and bite into my fingers like angry dogs! Larger buttons would be helpful. The one nice thing is the 4:1 gear ratio makes string changes fast: a few cranks and it's done.

The Grand tenors have been made in many wood combinations and, besides mahogany, I played a mango, spruce and koa and an all koa variant at HMS. The tone of the mango was my my favorite and I almost bought it (ended up with a Replica instead). The volume and tone were very different from model to model so the softer sounding mahogany doesn't represent the others. The spruce and koa combo was the loudest of the bunch as I recall.

Top Bottom