Martin S1 Owners: strings

How were the poly guts different in terms of sound? I’m not concerned with feel. I come from a guitar background so I’m used to tension and the strings biting into my fingers. I also have a vintage Martin style O with m600’s which it sounds great with. But I’m sure it would sound great with anything on it. But I’m curious on the poly guts in regards to real world sound differences. Especially from you who has had experience with both the m600’s and polyguts on the same instrument.

The polygut sound is a little warmer. But not muddy like the nylguts and their various incarnations.

And, for what it’s worth, I have polyguts on my SK-28, too :D

Just swapped out the Worth Browns for Martin M600 on by recently purchased S1. Too early to tell, I'll wait for the Martin's to settle, but so far I prefer the Worth Browns, but like I said its too early to tell. Stay safe everyone.

A bump to an old thread, I hope that nobody minds.

I’m wondering what the recent thoughts are with regard to S1 strings and in particular strings that are darker / mellower / and less jangly than say the rightly popular Martin M600’s.

So possibly that means moving away from clear fluorocarbon and maybe away from fluorocarbon altogether to say M605/Aquila and nylon?

What are people’s experiences and observations please.

Bruh, Martin 600's!

I’m wondering what the recent thoughts are with regard to S1 strings and in particular strings that are darker / mellower / and less jangly than say the rightly popular Martin M600’s.

So possibly that means moving away from clear fluorocarbon and maybe away from fluorocarbon altogether to say M605/Aquila and nylon?

Bruh, if it's a Martin. Then M600's!

If you want to warm up the sound, nylon strings would be a good option. As you mention, one of the non clear fluorocarbon like Worth brown or Fremont Black might work. Perhaps this demo may give you some ideas

I bought a new S0 this year and they came with the M605's (Graphite Gray Polygut) which I find less bright than the M600's. They say on their site that all Nazareth made ukes are now shipped with the M605's. They weren't bad, but I swapped out to 600's. I'll try the 605's again at some point.

Bruh, if it's a Martin. Then M600's!

I‘ve used M600’s on a lot of Ukes, they’re a solid choice but these days I prefer Aquila Super Nylgut - the M600’s have loads of treble and I’m looking for something mellower. Some folk want a Soprano to be bright, jangly and cut through the sound around them and IMHO the M600’s are ideal for that, however I’m looking for ‘melodic’ with less treble and a ‘rounder’ sound.

Martin like the Aquila range and hence they’re ‘new’, improved even, M605’s - which IIRC they now fit as standard - are an Aquila string. The ‘new’ M605’s don‘t seem unpopular.

At one time Martin used to use clear Nylon strings, IIRC those particular sets were not liked much on here and the clear fluorocarbon strings that replaced them were welcomed.

Last edited:
I‘ve used M600’s on a lot of Ukes, they’re a solid choice but these days I prefer Aquila Super Nylgut - the M600’s have loads of treble and I’m looking something mellower.

Martin like the Aquila range too and hence their M605’s - which IIRC they now fit as standard - are an Aquila string - they don‘t seem unpopular.

At one time Martin used to use clear Nylon strings, IIRC those particular sets were not liked much on here and the clear fluorocarbon strings that replaced them were welcomed.
For anyone who is a fan of Nylgut, it is also worth checking out the D'Addario Nyltech strings, which are also an Aquila product.

I have often seen people speak poorly of nylon strings, so I was always reluctant to consider them. I recently strung one of my instruments with a set of D'Addario nylon strings and have been very impressed.

I have three Martin sopranos (vintage), and they're all strung with Fremont Blackline medium tension strings. Not too bright, not too warm, IMO.

Thanks. That’s just the type of information that I’m looking. Of course there will be some differences between the modern (S-1) and older Martins but experiences between the two will doubtless have a great deal of overlap. 👍

IIRC and for what little it’s worth I’ve found, on other Sopranos, that Blackline mediums are less ‘bright’ than M600’s - more mid range focussed.

Thanks. That’s just the type of information that I’m looking. Of course there will be some differences between the modern (S-1) and older Martins but experiences between the two will doubtless have a great deal of overlap. 👍

IIRC and for what little it’s worth I’ve found, on other Sopranos, that Blackline mediums are less ‘bright’ than M600’s - more mid range focussed.
Yeah, I also think a significant part has to do with the instrument itself -- I have the Fremonts on a Kamaka White Label that's as bright/plinky as anything I've played -- but on my Koa Black Bear they're really rounded off -- the Martins are somewhere in the middle. I personally like the way they feel on my fretting hand, and the tension seems just right for the way I play... maybe they're magical, and bring out the best characteristic of whichever instrument they're on (wouldn't THAT be a great advertising claim for Fremont?)...

Mine is currently with the Martin Premium Graphite Gray Polygut M605.

I always had the M600 on S1. Tried many other strings, and always ended taking them off within a day and went back to M600.

Until the M605. I didn’t like it at first. In fact hated it. Mostly due to the tactile texture which is kind of rough especially when doing slides. But somehow, I let it settle in for a week or so. Then it grew on me. Once I gotten used to the texture, I felt my S1 sounds better with it than with the M600.

It’s like an enhanced M600 with the same Jangle and loudness. And it comes with better individual note sound. With the M600, I felt it’s a bit 1 dimensional or hollow? But now it’s full. Sorry, I’m bad with the description. Sustain is about the same.

So I guess the folks at Martin know what they are doing when the higher end martin ukes now come with the premium polygut strings out of box.
My Martin 0SM Tenor Mahogany came strung with Martin Premiums. At first I wasn't sure that I liked them, but just like you, I left them on and once the strings settled in I loved the sound, I the spot on intonation, and feel. Then, after couple of months I changed the Premiums out and put on Martin‘s tenor FCs. They didn’t do it for me. I left those on for a week and then went back to the Premiums.

tom

Yeah, I also think a significant part has to do with the instrument itself -- I have the Fremonts on a Kamaka White Label that's as bright/plinky as anything I've played -- but on my Koa Black Bear they're really rounded off -- the Martins are somewhere in the middle. I personally like the way they feel on my fretting hand, and the tension seems just right for the way I play... maybe they're magical, and bring out the best characteristic of whichever instrument they're on (wouldn't THAT be a great advertising claim for Fremont?)...
Fremonts certainly seem magical in my book! I first had them on my Kiwaya, and it was instant love. Now I have Fremonts all over the place; high G clear on my Kiwaya and Ohana concerts and low G black on my Martin tenor.

Can someone recommend the most suitable Low G string to use with Martin Premium strings? I'm not a fan of wound strings and have tried the Aquila Red Low G which I'm really happy with, except they tend to break often. The nut groove is cut correctly. I have contacted Martin for thier recommendation but not had a reply.

The M600 seem to work well on my S1. Not a direct comparison but the T1K I once had sounded better with Worth Brown BT strings. Maybe the difference between mahogany and koa.
I think my T1K sounds better with different strings, too. (Fremont Blackline, which are dark brown fluorocarbon)

Earthsea, you might like the unwound low G options from Fremont.

Although my Martin is an S-0 rather than an S-1, I've had really nice results with the D'Addario Nylgut soprano set (#EJ88S).

I would describe M600's (which I've also used and liked a lot) as more "modern" sounding (perhaps a bit more bright and sassy?), while the D'Addarios are more "vintage" sounding (not quite as bright, but very appealing to my ear).

I've also used Fremont Blackline hard tensions several times, and they were excellent too, but seem a little thin (physically, not sonically) for my taste, whereas the D'Addarios have a nice substantial feel.

I wanted to add for anyone who might come across this discussion later. I own the newer Martin S1K. I’ve had the M600 strings on it since I purchased it. The intonation was always a little off and the overall sound was a little hollow, or nasal-ish. I switched to the matin M605s this week and they made such a huge difference! The intonation issues were more or less gone. The sound is sweet and much more resonant. And I have to say I love the tactile feel of them and the tension is medium-high witch really works for me.

Iʻve had Christopher Davis Shannon’s Tinman Magic Ukulele Strings on my S1 for a while now. They also sound great. Similar to M600s in feel and tone but somehow with a bit of extra pizzaz and jangle.

For anyone who is a fan of Nylgut, it is also worth checking out the D'Addario Nyltech strings, which are also an Aquila product.

I have often seen people speak poorly of nylon strings, so I was always reluctant to consider them. I recently strung one of my instruments with a set of D'Addario nylon strings and have been very impressed.
My understanding is that the Nyltechs are actually the original Aquila Nylgut formula, licensed in perpetuity to D’Addario. Likewise, the Martin “Premium” strings seem to be a modified version of the Aquila Carbon Black formula.

Scooter

Give me Martin (premium) M625 graphite grey with Aquila red unwound for the low G, any day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom