Questions about drum patterns and amps with built-in rhythm function

Bombay Mick

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the built-in rhythm functions on say a Vox mini 5 rhythmvox or a Roland micro cube bass RX have drum or metronome patterns in 3/4 or 6/8 time?
It's not that I have a thing about waltzes ;) but all the info I have about them so far suggests that they do a lot of 4 beat patterns and not much else.
I think the metronome function might be most useful to me when practising, as my timing tends to speed up :p
Maybe I'd be as well to forget about drum patterns and get a good amp and run a metronome app on the iPad or phone and put that through the AUX input.
As ever any comments and thoughts are most welcome.
Mick

Good you’re focusing on timing. Get a metronome and amp it loud enough so you can hear it well and start much slower than what you want to get to. Tap your foot along with the metronome. Try doing that before you even begin playing.

If you’re going to use eighth notes count one and two and three and, over and over as you practice, for your 3/4 time. It will become ingrained in time, no pun intended; well, a little pun intended. You’ll be waltzing in no time.

Yes, the metronome is much more important a practice tool than a drum machine. Playing with drum machine = easy. Playing with metronome = work. If you practice with a metronome you will always be able to play with a drum machine - no problem. The same cannot be said of going the other way.

I've been pretty impressed with the GarageBand smart drummer lately. Lots of options for manipulating fills and feel if you sit and edit each section of a song. Probably a more flexible option that whatever is built into an amp. Just plug your computer in via aux.

Yes for VOX amps with drum patterns. They have more types of drum beats than required. Heaps and heaps including the ones you mentioned.

Thanks kissing - the Vox mini 5 rhythm is one I'm considering as it has a lot of features and won't break the bank.
And it's available with the classic Vox diamond pattern !:iwant:
I often find that the information from suppliers and retailers is lacking in some detail that I'm particularly interested in, and this is a good case in point.
Thanks to all who replied - this is exactly what on-line forums are great for.
Under normal circumstances my next stop would be a music shop to check out a few amps for myself and almost certainly then buy one, but we are living through strange and difficult times and "normal" seems like it was ages ago...
Stay safe everyone.
Mick

Thanks kissing - the Vox mini 5 rhythm is one I'm considering as it has a lot of features and won't break the bank.
And it's available with the classic Vox diamond pattern !:iwant:
I often find that the information from suppliers and retailers is lacking in some detail that I'm particularly interested in, and this is a good case in point.
Thanks to all who replied - this is exactly what on-line forums are great for.
Under normal circumstances my next stop would be a music shop to check out a few amps for myself and almost certainly then buy one, but we are living through strange and difficult times and "normal" seems like it was ages ago...
Stay safe everyone.
Mick

Vox are great amps!

A normal metronome could do,
Even on a telephone speaker... It is not necessary to hear each beep...
I use it a lot , even with my trumpet...

If you want to get a subconscious "swing" in your music,
try putting it half-time on 2 and 4 (ie count 1234, 1 beep 3 beep)...
and as always slow/clean is much better ...

Top Bottom