NUD: aNueNue Moon Bird US200

Dohle

Reaction score
So, a few weeks back I noticed that SUS had listed three aNueNue Moon Birds, one of each scale. I've always been intrigued by aNueNue, especially since they're so hard to come by even in uke shops that sell more high-end stuff. The tenor and concert models were sold out quickly but the soprano remained, and since I primarily play soprano I thought here's my chance.

I did have some reservations though. The brand was completely new to me, far Eastern and Chinese-made, a non-traditional shape for a soprano ukulele, and most of all I'm not the biggest fan of spruce as a tonewood because of the brightness of the sound it produces. I had researched that the rosewood body of the Moon Bird supposedly complements the bright spruce sound, and most importantly this might be one of the very few chances to get an aNueNue since the only retailers for them in Europe are in the UK and Brexit is imminent. So I went for it.

And let me be honest, it's hard for me to even imagine a more high-quality factory-made ukulele (well, maybe apart from the even more expensive aNueNues :D ). This thing is simply impeccable. I have a Kiwaya KTS-7 which cost me the exact same amount of money, but the Moon Bird just feels more high-class. The gloss finish, the silky smooth planetary tuners, the extremely comfortable neck (which funnily enough seems almost identical to the Kiwaya), even the smell... it smells sweet, literally! And the sound? Well, let's just say my research was spot on. The Moon Bird probably has the fullest sound out of all of my sopranos. Highs, mids and lows are all represented brilliantly, and the bright spruce top is far from overwhelming.

The only niggles I have is the pattern on the ebony fretboard which messes the fret markers a bit (you might be able to see it in the photos) and the surprisingly chunky fretboard which is exacerbated further by the fairly large frets, similar to a KoAloha. Not that it's a massive issue, just something to get used to. Also, the strings it came with feel quite high friction, so while they sound good I might be changing those out (any string suggestions?).

Sorry, this post has almost turned into a review. I'm just so overwhelmed about the incredible quality of this thing. Definitely no regrets. :)

20200324_192021.jpg20200324_192051.jpg20200324_192352.jpg20200324_192415.jpg

Wow, very nice! I too have some reservations about spruce on sopranos, but I'm glad it works on the moonbird. When I read the first sentence, I thought you were going to say you bought all three sizes! :D Since you have a KTS-7, I can see that a lot of other ukuleles will seem to have large frets in comparison.

Wow, very nice! I too have some reservations about spruce on sopranos, but I'm glad it works on the moonbird. When I read the first sentence, I thought you were going to say you bought all three sizes! :D Since you have a KTS-7, I can see that a lot of other ukuleles will seem to have large frets in comparison.

Hehe, thank god I mostly play sopranos. I'd be in trouble if I had to stock up on concerts and tenors as well. :D

You might be right about the frets. For the longest time, I only had either Martins or ukes very much like Martin that have fairly small/low frets so I'm definitely used to those kinds. With larger frets there's more space between the strings and the actual fretboard even though the action isn't actually any bigger. Need to get used to that.

Aha! So it’s you who got SUS‘s last Moonbird. :D I was putting it in and off my cart for days. Congratulations!

Anyway, there actually is another source of Anuenues in Europe: https://www.musikhaus-sedlmeyr.de/ They had one more soprano, so after you stealing the British one right in front of me, I went for it! :D Hoping to already having it in the mail by tomorrow!

Cheers!

...without a sound sample it did not happen! :p

Oh wow, I had no idea about that shop. Thank you! They even stock the less expensive aNueNues which are usually extremely rare. Seems it would've been a tad cheaper to buy from there but SUS always sends some extra swag with their more expensive ukes so it's fine. Seems like your loss is my gain. Be sure to post a NUD as well once you receive yours. :)

I don't really have proper sound recording equipment but I might record a sound sample with my phone.

Congratulations. They build wonderful ukuleles, with I could afford one.

Congrats on your baby moon bird, from another fellow soprano moon bird owner. The only problem with it is that it’s so good that I’m regretting buying/owning my other nice ukes. I’m using the stock black strings but I swapped out the g string for a Aquila Red Low G. Works very well for me. Enjoy your baby moon bird!

I have yet to read a negative review about the aNueNue "Bird" series ukuleles. A couple mentioned minor finishing flaws, but that's it. (Your high frets, now.)

Pretty impressive. They are on my short tenor list.

Congrats on your new soprano. Enjoy it.

Congrats on the Moonbird Soprano, as Austinhing calls it baby moonbird. I love these ukes and would love to try a soprano some time. I have the concert and really grateful to have it. I experimented a little with strings and went back to the aNueNue Blackwaters, as came with it originally. They just seem quite suited to it.

Top Bottom