Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low G Nut Slot File

Default Low G Nut Slot File

I have a couple re-entrant ukes that I'd like to switch to linear, and I have several different low G strings, though I don't know the exact gauge for some.

I'm not a builder and don't have the tools to do even a simple set up. But since I'm not able to take my ukes to any luthiers, I'm thinking about getting a nut slot file. Since I won't be building ukes or even doing set ups, I wanted to see if I can get away with getting a single file from StewMac.

My understanding is that most non-wound low G strings are similar in size/gauge, and that the nut slot should be a few thousandths of an inch larger than the string.

Is it possible to get a single nut slot file to create slots that will accommodate most low G strings? And if so, what size would that be?

Naw, I wouldn't spend the money for a slot file just to widen one slot on a nut. Use an acetylene torch cleaning file. Slow, but works. Available at most automotive stores. $6 USD.

torch cleaner.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Naw, I wouldn't spend the money for a slot file just to widen one slot on a nut. Use an acetylene torch cleaning file. Slow, but works. Available at most automotive stores. $6 USD.

torch cleaner.jpg
    Thanks. In trying to research this, Iíve seen this recommendation a few times, sometimes along with a hacksaw. But I guess I was hoping to see if anyone here could recommend a nut slot file size. While multiple files or sets are expensive, a single file is cheap enough that, if having only one is feasible, it seems like it would work better than hacksaws and torch files. Especially if I end up doing more ukuleles in the future.

I was hoping there was maybe a popular size that people use most often for low G on linear ukes.

Depending on the instrument setup and string choice, you may not need to do anything. Often they fit fine. Plus, many of the wound low G are smaller in diameter than the C string. At the most, you might need a wee bit wider nut slot. A couple swipes with a SMALL round Swiss file will do ya. You don't need to make it deeper but only slightly wider.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 03-24-2020 at 11:55 PM.

If you decide on a file from StewMac rather than another approach, the .032 will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Depending on the instrument setup and string choice, you may not need to do anything. Often they fit fine. Plus, many of the wound low G are smaller in diameter than the C string. At the most, you might need a wee bit wider nut slot. A couple swipes with a SMALL round Swiss will do ya. You don't need to make it deeper but only slightly wider.
    Sorry, what's a small round swiss?

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post
    If you decide on a file from StewMac rather than another approach, the .032 will do just fine.
    Thanks, my research so far had me looking at the .036 or .042 to make slot widths for most low Gs. But I was second guessing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    Sorry, what's a small round swiss?

I didn't know either. This is what I found.

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/...s-pattern-file
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

Anonymous

Sometimes they're called needle files. They're just small files for precision work on small pieces. Often made in Switzerland, hence Swiss files here in the States. I have a set, Craftsman Needle File Set no. 96757. I also have a set of the StewMac nut files and I like them for cutting new slots, but find them bothersome when I merely need a slight widening of an existing nut slot.

Snowden, have you tried installing a low G? I have tried several different low G strings on my equipment and haven't had a problem. Be sure you try first before making any alterations.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/21/2016
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019
    Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Martin S1 Soprano, C Re-entrant Tuning 3/19/2020

Thread Information