Low G Nut Slot File

snowdenn

Reaction score
I have a couple re-entrant ukes that I'd like to switch to linear, and I have several different low G strings, though I don't know the exact gauge for some.

I'm not a builder and don't have the tools to do even a simple set up. But since I'm not able to take my ukes to any luthiers, I'm thinking about getting a nut slot file. Since I won't be building ukes or even doing set ups, I wanted to see if I can get away with getting a single file from StewMac.

My understanding is that most non-wound low G strings are similar in size/gauge, and that the nut slot should be a few thousandths of an inch larger than the string.

Is it possible to get a single nut slot file to create slots that will accommodate most low G strings? And if so, what size would that be?

Naw, I wouldn't spend the money for a slot file just to widen one slot on a nut. Use an acetylene torch cleaning file. Slow, but works. Available at most automotive stores. $6 USD.

torch cleaner.jpg

Naw, I wouldn't spend the money for a slot file just to widen one slot on a nut. Use an acetylene torch cleaning file. Slow, but works. Available at most automotive stores. $6 USD.

View attachment 126088

Thanks. In trying to research this, I’ve seen this recommendation a few times, sometimes along with a hacksaw. But I guess I was hoping to see if anyone here could recommend a nut slot file size. While multiple files or sets are expensive, a single file is cheap enough that, if having only one is feasible, it seems like it would work better than hacksaws and torch files. Especially if I end up doing more ukuleles in the future.

I was hoping there was maybe a popular size that people use most often for low G on linear ukes.

Depending on the instrument setup and string choice, you may not need to do anything. Often they fit fine. Plus, many of the wound low G are smaller in diameter than the C string. At the most, you might need a wee bit wider nut slot. A couple swipes with a SMALL round Swiss file will do ya. You don't need to make it deeper but only slightly wider.

Last edited:
If you decide on a file from StewMac rather than another approach, the .032 will do just fine.

Depending on the instrument setup and string choice, you may not need to do anything. Often they fit fine. Plus, many of the wound low G are smaller in diameter than the C string. At the most, you might need a wee bit wider nut slot. A couple swipes with a SMALL round Swiss will do ya. You don't need to make it deeper but only slightly wider.

Sorry, what's a small round swiss?

If you decide on a file from StewMac rather than another approach, the .032 will do just fine.

Thanks, my research so far had me looking at the .036 or .042 to make slot widths for most low Gs. But I was second guessing myself.

Sometimes they're called needle files. They're just small files for precision work on small pieces. Often made in Switzerland, hence Swiss files here in the States. I have a set, Craftsman Needle File Set no. 96757. I also have a set of the StewMac nut files and I like them for cutting new slots, but find them bothersome when I merely need a slight widening of an existing nut slot.

Snowden, have you tried installing a low G? I have tried several different low G strings on my equipment and haven't had a problem. Be sure you try first before making any alterations.

I would also strongly suggest to try a low G string first before making changes. If you know for sure that it won't work without widening the nut then you can see if folded gritting paper might be all you need. Joel has mentioned and shown how to alter nut slots in a couple of HMS YouTube videos (search for 'set-up').

Sometimes they're called needle files. They're just small files for precision work on small pieces. Often made in Switzerland, hence Swiss files here in the States. I have a set, Craftsman Needle File Set no. 96757. I also have a set of the StewMac nut files and I like them for cutting new slots, but find them bothersome when I merely need a slight widening of an existing nut slot.

I do have some cheap, all-purpose files. I tried to widen the slot a little bit with them, but they are too large. Thanks for specifying the set--I'm hesitant to just order a set of files because without seeing/handling them at the store, I'm not sure how big they'll be. The Craftsman set seems costlier and more difficult to track down than a single nut file, and I'm not sure what other uses I would have for them, since I already have some files.

Snowden, have you tried installing a low G? I have tried several different low G strings on my equipment and haven't had a problem. Be sure you try first before making any alterations.

I would also strongly suggest to try a low G string first before making changes. If you know for sure that it won't work without widening the nut then you can see if folded gritting paper might be all you need. Joel has mentioned and shown how to alter nut slots in a couple of HMS YouTube videos (search for 'set-up').

I have. I actually have a new, low G string (I don't know what brand) sitting on top of the nut slot on one of my ukuleles right now. The high g slot was pretty shallow, and the low G string rests higher on the nut than the other strings. I didn't think that would affect the intonation so much, but you can definitely hear it being off on the first few frets.

I have a tiny, X-acto saw blade that I tried to widen the slot with, but I got nervous about ruining the slot, without being able to smooth it down, so I stopped after a few passes.

The gritting paper (sandpaper?) sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought of using sandpaper, which I happen to have on hand. Or does gritting paper mean something else?

And thanks for the suggestion to look up HMS videos. Most of the videos I had watched were for guitar repairs (so no mention of low G slot widths), and done by luthiers who have a bunch of nut slot files and other tools available to them.

I’ve been able to swap low and high G strings on two different concert ukes and haven’t needed to monkey with the nut slots yet. And I have a complete set of nut files that will handle everything from electric guitars to ukes.. so it’s not because I couldn’t

I’ve been able to swap low and high G strings on two different concert ukes and haven’t needed to monkey with the nut slots yet. And I have a complete set of nut files that will handle everything from electric guitars to ukes.. so it’s not because I couldn’t

I'm trying to picture how the high g string rests in the slots on your ukuleles.

For the ukulele I'm trying this with, there are intonation problems with the low G string (none with the high g). And if you were to run your finger over the nut, you could feel the low G string sitting a lot higher than the other strings. The little bit of filing I've tried has already improved intonation a bit. But I'm afraid to file a lot more with what I have. I tried a little bit with folded sandpaper, but it's too sharp, and I'm worried it will make the slot more V-shaped than U-shaped. Maybe I should fold it a few times to make it wider? I'm not sure I can get the right shape with sandpaper.

I just went and looked at my other ukuleles, and the low G slots don't look a lot bigger than the high g ones. So I could see how switching back and forth might not be a problem with them (I haven't tried). But for this one ukulele I'm trying it on, the slots seem particularly shallow and narrow.

Top Bottom