Hi from Vancouver, Canada

RobMagus

Reaction score
Hi all! My name is Rob and I (like I assume many others) just purchased a ukulele to have something to learn while we're all in social isolation during this pandemic.

I actually had a ukulele that I purchased about 2 years ago off of amazon, a Strong Wind concert uke. I learned how to play it using some hal Leonard books and also started learning a little music theory. I messed around with it for a few months but then I started a job which took me away from home for days at a time and it fell by the wayside. I opened its case again in january and discovered that the bridge had snapped right off the body!

I dont know if the strings were too tight or if I knocked it against something or that's just what happens with ukes you find for 50 bucks on amazon... but in any case now that I had some time I've bought another cheap amazon concert uke (this time from Aklot) and am wanting to learn again!

I'm catching up to where I left off last time and am looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer. Cheers!

Welcome to UU, Rob!

If you failed in throwing it out as soon as you saw the damaged uke, you could still keep it. If the bridge snapped off in a 'clean' way or with minimal damage, you could try to glue it back on yourself. See if there are any marks or lighter finish or other signs that allow you to place the bridge back in the exact right spot. If yes, then get some locktite or similar instant glue to stick it back on, forever! (Just now it will be beyond your DIY skills if the same happens again, as the glue will likely be stronger than the laminate, and therefore the top will be torn to pieces as the glue holds up and the laminate gives away.)

I had the same happen to a cheap Amazon uke (the first one you buy to see if you'll take to the instrument) after I'd had it for 6 weeks. I was bummed. I gave up on it because I thought only a luthier or music shop would be able to repair it and that was going to be ridiculous money. My father-in-law visited us, inspected it and eventually fixed it. It's now my favourite 'beater' uke.

After I started reading about ukes I learned from the Ko'olau / Pono website that the bridge is designed to come off rather than damaging the neck. The alternative would be a more complicated repair.

Thanks very much Ms Bean! I had thought that it was a goner and when I enquired at some shops about the cost of repairing it, I might as well have bought a new ukulele for the prices I was quoted. It was a totally clean break--it looks almost as if the glue just wasn't strong enough. I'll try with some stronger glue (and maybe sanding the old glue off?). Also, it's very cool that the bridge is designed to come off so the neck doesn't break--like crumple zones in modern cars! Cheers.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the UU Forum, and welcome back to the world of ukuleles. I’m a former Vancouver resident (originally from Halifax; now living in Oregon). My brother still lives in the Vancouver area, and I had hoped to visit with him this Spring, but with the border now closed, my plans have been put on hold. I sure do miss Canada...

In any case, the Forum is a great place to hang out. I’m sure you will find much here to keep you amused. May your ukulele journey be a joyous one!

Jan

Nice to see more folks from this corner of the world. I'm just south of the border - when it's open we like to come up to visit Vancouver frequently.

We share the same name and the same country, but not the same city. I love Vancouver though!

Top Bottom