Need help identifying damage on Ukulele

Stewie44

Reaction score
E7167F18-6722-4017-9285-2BD3904F3AF6.jpg
Hi I am looking to buy a Ukulele for the first time. The seller messaged me that this is only cosmetic damage. It is on the back of the Uke near the bottom edge. Is it purely cosmetic or an underlying problem? Also, is it a decent deal? It’s a Fender Montecito for $120. I’m hoping that blemish isn’t due to the lack of humidity here in Nevada. I’ve been reading that it’s necessary to keep solid wood ukuleles in ~40-50% humidity?

Thanks

https://imgur.com/gallery/z5CV6qf

Last edited:
IMHO that is not just cosmetic damage. It looks as though the uke has had a hefty wallop. There is no way to tell how this might affect the structural integrity, but I would advise you to avoid this one.

John Colter

It is hard to tell from the small picture, but it almost looks like it has been water damaged?? I would pass myself but it is up to you... Note below what Fender writes about the uke. Boy they really pulled out all the stops in Ridiculous Claims Department (a.k.a. Marketing). "Screen-ready???" "sonorous tone???" This thing isn't an ukulele, it's a musical miracle!

Inspired by the California home of many celebrities, this ukulele's screen-ready looks and headline grabbing features could only have one name—the Montecito Ukulele. Constructed completely from koa, this tenor-sized uke has a rich, sonorous tone, that matches its sumptuously elegant aesthetic... The solid top provides enhanced resonance and sustain, along with incredible warmth and well-balanced projection.

To me, it looks like it was dropped on the edge and the 'impact' was sufficient to cause the gloss finish to crack and separate from the surface. I've repaired two ukes with similar cracks and chips and it takes some time and skill. ( I say similar because I haven't seen the whole uke to see if the damage has traveled beyond the crack, further under the gloss. ). If it were my own uke I'd repair it. But advising someone to buy it with the hope that they can fix it, isn't wise.

The Montecito was my first uke (sigh) and after having a luthier level and re-crown the frets, changing the strings to Worth Browns, it plays beautifully. I rarely play it anymore as I've acquired a few new gems, but occasionally I'll drag it out for "old times sake!" If you like that style, keep looking. I've seen them on Reverb.com a number of times. While I hadn't planned on selling mine, I'd certainly consider it if you can't find something else you're interested in.

Top Bottom