Kala UBASS,Solid Acacia vs. new models?

FinnP

Reaction score
I've been offered an "old" model Kaka acacia ubass, with passiv pickup.
I don't have the opportunity to try it first.
How is the sound compared with the new models wih active pick-ups?
Is the quality as good as the new models?
I plan to fit Kala flatwound Gallistringson on it, will this work?

Thanks and take care

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 27
Is it a Kala as opposed to a Kaka? If so, I'd snatch it up, I think the pre-preamp versions are the best, I've had 2 of them! Didn't know they made an acacia model. And the flatwounds should work fine.

It’s a Kala. I know there’s a problem with the nut and steel strings, but is the construction weaker than e.g. The new Journeyman?

That I don't know, the flatwounds are made for Kala Ubass, so should be fine. IMHO the older models with passive pickup are made better than the newer ones, especially the lower end products. I started off with a Rumbler, it was ok, but had some volume problems with the E string, then got a Exotic Mahogany with passive pickup and it was way better, then I found an older fretless and went to that, it's awesome and I love the Pahoehoes on it.

It’s a Kala. I know there’s a problem with the nut and steel strings, but is the construction weaker than e.g. The new Journeyman?

I've changed strings on my bass ukes and all it takes is to have a new nut made, most any good repair/luthier can do it and not very costly.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks for your help
I bought it :) It's a real beauty. the serial is 11103005 whatever that means. the label say Kala-Acacia-FS.
It Looks like it comes with Aquila thundergut strings? They're properly old, but the intonation is surprisingly good. Only the E string is a little off above the 7th fret.
Sound is fine on my Fishman Loudbox mini with no hum. would i benefit from using a preamp? i have an old Behringer ADI21 I haven't used in years.
I have a set of Kala flatwounds Gallisstrings, but understand I need to change the nut?
Any suggestions where to buy a suitable nut?

You might try Stew mac for a nut...
We have an older Beringer amp that really blasts the UBass.

Congrat's! The "1110" part of the serial # means it was made in Oct. of 2011, I believe, could be the other way around (Nov. 2010). I don't use a preamp, but my Orange Crush 25 has a built-in preamp and it works just fine. Even with the preamp part turned off, it just decreases volume a little bit.

I have an original strapless one over in the marketplace section with a solid spruce top. Thanks for looking

I'd avoid solid wood on an Ubass as they are supposed to play amplified anyway. Electronics are more important to accomplish good sound. Solid wood likely needs humidification in most seasonal climates which is detrimental to electronics.

Top Bottom