What strings for my cheap uke?

adam289

Reaction score
I’ve got a cheap mitchell mu40 ukulele that came with nylon strings that don’t sound great, and am looking to replace them but don’t know what to go with. I’ve heard nylguts are good to improve the sound, but I’m also considering fluorocarbons or maybe worth browns as I prefer a warmer sound, but I’m not sure they’d excel in my crappy ukulele.
Thoughts?

You might practice using the search feature of the Forum. There are dozens of string topics and opinions. Also, the HMS Ukulele Site has done some lengthy videos on strings. While they are doing comparisons on non-"cheap" ukes, you'll get an education on the various types available and how they might affect the sound.

Wait, don't you have another thread asking basically the same question, from only about 4 hours ago?

Have some patience. Not everyone on this forum is online 100% of the time.

Be patient, Grasshopper. Please don't "diss" the uke until you understand what it is that you don't like about it.

Q1: Is is bad intonation; i.e. lots of sour notes? Is it tinny or muffled sounding to you? Do the strings buzz?

Q2: Do you use an electronic tuner for open string tuning? Having to tune it often is normal (for me, anyway).

Q3 Are you learning the most common chord shapes, paying attention to not press too hard on the strings between the frets?

Hang in There,
Wiggy

Interesting that is exactly what I wanted to do with my Flight ABS travel uke since it came with cheaper strings. I did not know exactly how it would sound having the large plastic component and I did not want to spend a lot of money. I put Martin 600 flurocarbon on it and it immediately sounded clearer, crisper with good tone. They might be bright for you but they do sound good on a cheaper uke.

Aquila Nylguts generally do a good job of improving the sound of inexpensive ukes. And they are not overly bright (at least not to my ears), so they might give you the warmth you are looking for. Martin M-600’s are another good option, though perhaps brighter than the Nylguts.

Jan

I’ve got a cheap mitchell mu40 ukulele that came with nylon strings that don’t sound great, and am looking to replace them but don’t know what to go with. I’ve heard nylguts are good to improve the sound, but I’m also considering fluorocarbons or maybe worth browns as I prefer a warmer sound, but I’m not sure they’d excel in my crappy ukulele.
Thoughts?

Martin M600s are very nice.

https://smile.amazon.com/Martin-Aco...=1&keywords=martin+m600&qid=1585226762&sr=8-2

I have a lot of cheap ukes, and like D'darrio Titanium on them, or Martins.

Top Bottom