Kai ukuleles & plastic tuners

Delana

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post apart from my introduction in 'new members'

I bought a Kai KTI 5000 tenor ukulele online (I know I know but the current situation didn't make going to a shop and playing an option.) I like it but can't find much about the company. The Kai website sent me to a 404 page when I clicked on the link for the 5000. :rolleyes:

I thought I'd ask if any of you here know the makers. The only con as far as I can see is that the tuners are pretty much all plastic except for the cogs. I think it's a real shame because the rest of the instrument has been put together really well and I love the sound. I does seem to hold tune pretty well...I'm new to all of this so maybe this isn't a big thing.

Thanks!!
Delana

Is it the same uke as this one? https://worldofukes.co.uk/tenor-ukuleles/kai-kti-5000-all-solid-acacia-tenor-ukulele
On that website, World of Ukes describes the tuners as "quality geared tuners" but then again it's just marketing blurb. I've never seen mostly plastic tuners on a mid-tier uke like that one but judging from the photos they look like they could be plastic. In any case, I think it would be fairly simple to just replace them with some basic Grover tuners. You should be able to get them for around 20€ or so.

The one pictured in the ad is a really decent looking uke. As long as the tuners work, and aren't grindy or slipping, I'd live with them. Welcome to UU, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Feel free to check out the rest of UU, there's good stuff here!

Is it the same uke as this one? https://worldofukes.co.uk/tenor-ukuleles/kai-kti-5000-all-solid-acacia-tenor-ukulele
...... I think it would be fairly simple to just replace them with some basic Grover tuners. You should be able to get them for around 20€ or so.

Thanks Dohle! Yes that's the one and World of Ukes also has a nice demo video on YT https://youtu.be/Tm1QUWF9q-4 The sound was what sold me. I had also considered replacing the tuners and am reassured by your suggestion. As a complete beginner I have no idea but feel I did a good job and got a good instrument that I'll enjoy playing. :) If I find the tuners aren't up to scratch I'll consider changing them.

The one pictured in the ad is a really decent looking uke. As long as the tuners work, and aren't grindy or slipping, I'd live with them. Welcome to UU, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Feel free to check out the rest of UU, there's good stuff here!

Thanks Nickie! I think it is a decent instrument and I suspect the tuners are just fine. They just looked like they weren't up to the same quality as the rest of the uke. I can see there was a lot of thought put into the construction. I'll test them out and see. :) And will certainly have a good wander about here! Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Hey there!

Thanks for the link. I had seen it but went back and paid special attention to what he says about the company and also Stones Music. So I checked out their site and they say good things about Kai. That's good enough for me. Still find it confusing that the Kai site has an error page for, what I suspect now, their 'flagship' uke.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, thanks for helping me out everyone.

Top Bottom