Thread: Kai ukuleles & plastic tuners

Question Kai ukuleles & plastic tuners

Hi,

This is my first post apart from my introduction in 'new members'

I bought a Kai KTI 5000 tenor ukulele online (I know I know but the current situation didn't make going to a shop and playing an option.) I like it but can't find much about the company. The Kai website sent me to a 404 page when I clicked on the link for the 5000.

I thought I'd ask if any of you here know the makers. The only con as far as I can see is that the tuners are pretty much all plastic except for the cogs. I think it's a real shame because the rest of the instrument has been put together really well and I love the sound. I does seem to hold tune pretty well...I'm new to all of this so maybe this isn't a big thing.

Thanks!!
    Delana

Is it the same uke as this one? https://worldofukes.co.uk/tenor-ukul...-tenor-ukulele
    On that website, World of Ukes describes the tuners as "quality geared tuners" but then again it's just marketing blurb. I've never seen mostly plastic tuners on a mid-tier uke like that one but judging from the photos they look like they could be plastic. In any case, I think it would be fairly simple to just replace them with some basic Grover tuners. You should be able to get them for around 20€ or so.

The one pictured in the ad is a really decent looking uke. As long as the tuners work, and aren't grindy or slipping, I'd live with them. Welcome to UU, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Feel free to check out the rest of UU, there's good stuff here!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Is it the same uke as this one? https://worldofukes.co.uk/tenor-ukul...-tenor-ukulele
    ...... I think it would be fairly simple to just replace them with some basic Grover tuners. You should be able to get them for around 20 or so.
    Thanks Dohle! Yes that's the one and World of Ukes also has a nice demo video on YT https://youtu.be/Tm1QUWF9q-4 The sound was what sold me. I had also considered replacing the tuners and am reassured by your suggestion. As a complete beginner I have no idea but feel I did a good job and got a good instrument that I'll enjoy playing. If I find the tuners aren't up to scratch I'll consider changing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    The one pictured in the ad is a really decent looking uke. As long as the tuners work, and aren't grindy or slipping, I'd live with them. Welcome to UU, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Feel free to check out the rest of UU, there's good stuff here!
    Thanks Nickie! I think it is a decent instrument and I suspect the tuners are just fine. They just looked like they weren't up to the same quality as the rest of the uke. I can see there was a lot of thought put into the construction. I'll test them out and see. And will certainly have a good wander about here! Thanks for the warm welcome!!

It's a nice looking ukulele. Barry did a review of a different one of their ukes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Cu0QN9yqA

His more in-depth review linked under the video gives more details including, I think, something about the company.

Hey there!

Thanks for the link. I had seen it but went back and paid special attention to what he says about the company and also Stones Music. So I checked out their site and they say good things about Kai. That's good enough for me. Still find it confusing that the Kai site has an error page for, what I suspect now, their 'flagship' uke.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, thanks for helping me out everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    It's a nice looking ukulele.
    Yea, I think so too. Thanks!

Thread Information