I messed up... and now it buzzes!

Puglele

Reaction score
In previous episode:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?143448-Lowering-Action-By-Adjusting-the-Nuts

I know I’m a fool... after I sanded down the nut slot, my E string started to buzz on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets.

Open string - no buzzing.
Individually pressing down on each frets - no buzzing.

However, when I do a chord using E string with other strings, such as F, Dm chord, the E string will buzz.

I don’t know what is wrong. I ordered a higher bone saddle and replace it with the old one hoping to lift the string little higher. I also tried multiple string sets. But it’s not working.

Is the only solution to replace the nut?

Individual notes don't buzz and open string okay? Might be a sympathetic string buzz, i.e., the E string vibrates behind where it's fretted when certain tones on other strings are sounded. You can isolate the sympathetic string buzz causing tone by fretting two notes from the E chord. For example, hold down 0042 and pluck the two fretted strings; 0440, 4040, etc. It won't fix it but you'll know which string is causing the sympathetic string buzz behind the fretted note on the E string. I've had this particular affliction come and go with weather changes on both guitars and ukuleles.

Last edited:
In previous episode:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?143448-Lowering-Action-By-Adjusting-the-Nuts

I know I’m a fool... after I sanded down the nut slot, my E string started to buzz on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets.

Open string - no buzzing.
Individually pressing down on each frets - no buzzing.

However, when I do a chord using E string with other strings, such as F, Dm chord, the E string will buzz.

I don’t know what is wrong. I ordered a higher bone saddle and replace it with the old one hoping to lift the string little higher. I also tried multiple string sets. But it’s not working.

Is the only solution to replace the nut?

I don't know if you were happy with the nut before you changed the nut slot, but I suppose it was fine then. If it is the modification that now causes the buzz, then you could try to refill it again (using bicarbonate of soda and superglue, I think). Other people who have tried it can confirm. I know that the process is simple in theory: tape the slot off on both sides, then fill it with the glue and bicarbonate of soda, let it dry/set, remove the tape and recut the slots if they are now too shallow.

I just googled and find this link: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-baking-soda-and-super-glue-guitar-nut-repair-trick.1235879/

You were already thinking that maybe you'd have to replace the nut, so what have you got to lose?

StewMac has a how-to good video on you their YouTube channel on using backing soda and superglue to fill nut slots. Bone dust works well to (if you have some from making nuts and saddles). I used to do it with epoxy resin and bone dust but superglue dries much faster.

I don't know if you were happy with the nut before you changed the nut slot, but I suppose it was fine then. If it is the modification that now causes the buzz, then you could try to refill it again (using bicarbonate of soda and superglue, I think). Other people who have tried it can confirm. I know that the process is simple in theory: tape the slot off on both sides, then fill it with the glue and bicarbonate of soda, let it dry/set, remove the tape and recut the slots if they are now too shallow.

I just googled and find this link: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-baking-soda-and-super-glue-guitar-nut-repair-trick.1235879/

You were already thinking that maybe you'd have to replace the nut, so what have you got to lose?

The action was very high before I adjusted the nut. I was gonna sand down the saddle instead, but I wasn’t able to pull it out. So I took a chance and sand down the nut slots.

Individual notes don't buzz and open string okay? Might be a sympathetic string buzz, i.e., the E string vibrates behind where it's fretted when certain tones on other strings are sounded. You can isolate the sympathetic string buzz causing tone by fretting two notes from the E chord. For example, hold down 0042 and pluck the two fretted strings; 0440, 4040, etc. It won't fix it but you'll know which string is causing the sympathetic string buzz behind the fretted note on the E string. I've had this particular affliction come and go with weather changes on both guitars and ukuleles.
This is such a good troubleshooting technique. I have never heard of sympathetic buzz before. Thanks!

I recently changed strings on a guitalele from stock to much thinner strings and got a buzz on the 5th and 6th strings. What I did was cut a small length of string and put that in the nut slot under the real string to raise it up a little bit. I was shocked that it worked, but it did. No more buzz! Eventually I'll need a new nut but this hack is working and I can't tell any downside

I recently changed strings on a guitalele from stock to much thinner strings and got a buzz on the 5th and 6th strings. What I did was cut a small length of string and put that in the nut slot under the real string to raise it up a little bit. I was shocked that it worked, but it did. No more buzz! Eventually I'll need a new nut but this hack is working and I can't tell any downside

A string worked? That’s interesting. I tried paper or tissue, none worked to raise the nut slot :( things keep falling out.

I tried the sympathetic buzzing issue. It appears the G + E, C+E combo can cause the buzz but E+ A is fine. What is the indication?

Top Bottom