Hush Little Baby (featuring my granddaughter on the ukulele)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
Lulu likes to pretend to play the ukulele, but today was the first time she actually played for real! I taught her three chords (F, C, and C7) and we practiced this song a few times before I asked her if she wanted to make a video. She's playing a Tangi Manini sopranino ukulele.

Very good! That Cmaj7 to C ad-lib at 1:19 was right on time ..cart fall down.. You'll be a touring duo in no time. :cool:

Thanks, dgame! Ha ha! What amazes me is that she can remember lyrics for dozens of songs, both in English and Japanese. She really likes singing, so that might motivate her to play the ukulele as well. :)

Totally delightful John mate. She's a right pretty little charmer, and showing some good skills on that uke!! Obviously takes after her old granddad!!
She's going to be one to watch as the years go by...showing us ALL how we should be playing the uke.

That was utterly charming, John. Your grand-daughter is so delightful. And she plays the ukulele better than some of my friends who have been at it for far longer than Lulu. :)

Jan

Thanks, Dave! She has competing interests including piano and tennis lessons, so we'll see how far she goes with the ukulele. But she likes to sing, so the ukulele has a chance! :)

Thanks, Jan! She has small fingers so I don't know how long it will be before she can tackle some of the more difficult chords. For now, it'll be my job to find songs that she likes that can be played with some of the easier chords.

Just great. I gave my grandniece (my identical twin brother's granddaughter) a red Kala Dolphin on her 3rd birthday, and a green one to her bother on his 3rd late last year. While visiting me a couple of weeks ago after her 5th birthday, she asked me to teach her ukulele, which was a great surprise.

We sat down and I showed her how to hold and strum it, which she did for a minute or so when one of my mini bass guitars hanging on the wall caught her attention, it's hot pink. She wanted to hold it, but then she saw my purple one, which is her favorite color, but that lasted 30 seconds when she saw my iPad Pro 12.9" and wanted to watch kid videos.

Her father, my nephew, is a very accomplished guitar player and now a film and TV composer, for which he says I was an influence (glad about that), but so far I don't think it rubbed off on his daughter, but seeing your granddaughter do so good, only time will tell.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks, Mike! I think ukuleles are great gifts for kids, but whether they take to playing, it's hard to say. So many competing interests and distractions! In Lulu's case, we had that Tangi sopranino always available for her to pick up, and sometimes she'd pretend to be playing while singing. I patiently waited for her to show an interest in actually trying to play it, so hopefully this is the start, but I won't be surprised if it's off and on. My two sons don't seem interested in playing music and don't play the ukulele at all, so it's hard to figure.

Thank you for sharing this with us and your granddaughter!

Brought a bunch of smiles.

Wow she did great!! She seemed to easily know which chord fit the tune with each chord change - what a smart girl. I keep waiting for my grandchildren to show an interest but so far no luck. I only get to see them one or two times a year though. I would love to see more videos.

John,
Really touching and nicely done. Hope Lulu keeps on uke'in with Grandpa! You all stay healthy!

Thanks. John, rainbow21, 30svintage, and luv2uke! I'll definitely do what I can to keep her interested in the ukulele! Wish me luck! :)

Top Bottom