Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome back UU

Hi Ryan,

It wasn’t at all my intent to blame you in any way.

Again, thanks!

If UU moves over to Discord, I will be permanently out. Not because I couldn't handle that kind of technology, but because I despise it (just like Facebook and Twitter).
    Basically this.......but thanks for having given us the use of your forums.

I will now have to try & find another forum to converse on about ukes - so unless we meet on another forum - I'd just like to say that it has been a pleasure to have known you all, & wish you well for the future.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    That forum looks promising, and it does have some recent posts re ukuleles. 793 pages of ukulele posts. 4 ukulele posts so far in March 2020 -- doesn't hold a candle to UU but, as EDW said, it may become more lively if UU turns into a chat room.
    Yes, as I said as of late it has been relatively quiet, although there is still a lot of great info over there. At one time it was a very busy place and it did have a great deal of valuable discussion. You can still search various topics on the general forum as well as info on vintage ukes at https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp . The format makes it a little tougher as there are not topic specific areas, which may be one reason why this site grew in popularity and that one declined.

Quote Originally Posted by cyphers View Post
    If this forum goes away, is there another good ukulele forum?
    Good question -

https://www.google.com/search?q=ukul...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    Honestly, I'm getting tired of having to keep re-learning technology for things that should just be simple and free of techno-stress. This is a discussion about ukuleles, little wooden boxes with strings on them. Why does it have to be any more complicated than it is?
    I can sympathize, but exercising your brain is good for it. When it's not being challenged and learning something new, well, that's not good.

I can understand that we all want this free forum to continue indefinitely, but nothing is really free. Somewhere along the line, someone is working and paying. If 1,000 people paid $100 a year, that would put some money in the kitty, but how many people would actually pay to be on a forum?

I'll continue here for as long as it's practical, but I'll also look at FleaMarketMusic.

I joined discord yesterday and later when I tried to sign in a screen came up with "somethings going on here" and I was not allowed back on.

I agree with much of what is said here. Discord is more of a chatroom than a forum. While at times this forum seems a little like a chat room, there are many, many posts with great information and that style of lengthy posts doesn't work well in a chat room. Perhaps the chatroom could take on the feeling of a forum if set up differently, but I doubt it. Ryan mentioned keeping this forum open in the future but closing it to new members as a way to keep all the old info accessible. A chatroom has its place, like getting a quick answer to a question, but I doubt I would have learned anywhere near as much in a chatroom as I have on this forum. When the forum came back up yesterday, there were 83 people in UkeTalk at one time, which is almost like having a chatroom with a lot of lurkers.

However, with all that said, I'm not against giving the folks who created this forum a chance to see if the new idea can work at least as well as this works. -- If I'm ever allowed back on the discord site.

I'm not even sure I can get Discord and it certainly doesn't seem to fulfil the demands of this existing Forum. Personally, I would be quite happy to pay 45 dollars a year in any case; especially if it would mean that the existing site could be improved or a suitable alternative found, rather than a chatroom.
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw
    ​"Never hurt that person whose only intention was to see you happy."

For me, a chat room is no substitute for a forum. I would be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of continuing to use a forum like this.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I would be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of continuing to use a forum like this.

John Colter
    I'm sure many people would be willing to pay, but how many? Actually making the payment is different from discussing it, and it would have to be an on-going payment. A site needs regular, steady income. Bills have to be paid. I hate to say it, but maybe shutting down right away would be best. Cutting back on services and watching the number of responses decline would mean a slow death for it. Better to go out on a high note and switch to the FM forum.

Thread Information