Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome back UU

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I'm sure many people would be willing to pay, but how many? Actually making the payment is different from discussing it, and it would have to be an on-going payment. A site needs regular, steady income. Bills have to be paid. I hate to say it, but maybe shutting down right away would be best. Cutting back on services and watching the number of responses decline would mean a slow death for it. Better to go out on a high note and switch to the FM forum.
    What's the "FM Forum?" I can't even download Discord, so that's me finished! And I would certainly be willing to pay!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    What's the "FM Forum?" I can't even download Discord, so that's me finished! And I would certainly be willing to pay!
    I think he is referring to the Fleamarket Music site, which I referenced earlier

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/default.asp

Somebody who knows how to do it...start a poll.
    "Would you pay $20 a year to keep this alive?"
    See how many responses you get, then you will have an idea of your cashflow.

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    FleaMarket Music - https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bull....asp?view=date

Very good place to find ukes to buy. You can sell there without paying a fee. No paying required for using Fleamarket. That site has a lot to offer. Look at the Menu - upper left.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

To be honest, when I signed up, I was curious what made someone a UU VIP member (initially thought it had something to do with number of posts), but then I assumed it was people who signed up for UU online lessons and content. I had no idea it had anything to do with supporting the forum.

Without any marketing, most of us happily carry on enjoying the forum for free. Even Wikipedia asks me for money once a year. An annual membership drive might have helped.

I'll give Discord a try to see if I warm up to it, or for possible news of a new forum.
    Last edited by glennerd; 03-29-2020 at 05:07 AM.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Tukanu View Post
    Somebody who knows how to do it...start a poll.
    "Would you pay $20 a year to keep this alive?"
    See how many responses you get, then you will have an idea of your cashflow.
    Good idea! Someone?
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    For me, a chat room is no substitute for a forum. I would be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of continuing to use a forum like this.

John Colter
    +1.

I greatly appreciate all the work that the mods have been doing over the years, as well as the contributions of the members here.
    I don't like chats, so won't go to Discord if that's what it is. I also don't do Facebook, so if this moves over there, I'll be out, too. But, that's my choice, and not a reason for anyone to decide one way or another about those options.

This forum has played a large role in my ukulele/music experiences, which probably would have quickly ended without this forum. It's been a fantastic resource, with both current posts and the archive of old posts to read through. I would certainly pay for that option.

I have paid at times, and would do so again. If the mods decide to charge a fee to take part, or set up a gofundme (or similar type of thing), I'll definitely contribute. I'm currently out of both jobs I work, but that means that I have more time for something like this during my shelter in place orders, and I'll make sure to contribute $ if that will keep the forum going.

I know that it wasn't COVID-19 that might take out this forum, but it kind of feels that way, due to the timing. So much is changing right now for so many. I hope that you all stay safe and stay healthy, whatever happens to this forum.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I have read through the posts. I have signed up at Discord.........The irony of the name........try to follow an idea, have a meaningful thoughtful back and forth discussion on a topic, research a topic, get back to someone on a question they had.......try doing that on a running chat board and all I can think about is discord.

That being said I will give it a try.

Over the years I have and still do maintain paid membership on several online forums. Most have been in the $20 to $35 range annually. I have paid to be a hobbyist on one board where I made and sold items (this was a monthly fee). Membership usually had a couple of perks such as a members only area or access to a closed classified area. Sometimes a lack of adds.

I think about it this way. I have and still do have several magazine subscriptions. They run about $25 to $35 a year. I received several organizational printings as well. While I still enjoy a printed copy some of these are offered on line as well. I support one Patreon monthly that annually adds up to around the same cost as one of my subscriptions.

I'll pay for the UU VIP at $45 a year. I can afford this at this time. I would like to see it a little lower. Maybe attract a few more people. I don't really need access to all of UU lessons and video's at this time. That should be a different fee level.

I don't do and have no intention of ever doing Facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter and the like. I don't want or need that kind of social media.

Moderators--I would think that it would be possible to recruit competent moderators from the ranks of UU. Come up with position guidelines--recruit--vet--give people a time frame of service-wave membership fee--should be possible.

I would be sad if the UU forum went away. I would search out other forum venues but really is there anyplace like this on the internet?? I think I would have heard about it by now.

Okay, I need to say this.

I am going to be really sad if this forum goes under. I like this forum, and I dont really do well with change, because of my ADHD.

If this forum goes under, I will either find another forum or log off for good.

Jared

I must admit that I didn't fully understand what the UU VIP program was either. When I first arrived and glanced at it, I quickly decided to ignore it, since I didn't really know UU and didn't really want yet another place to have my financial info so they could charge me. Now I realize that they just use a PayPal subscription, so I don't really need to worry about the security of my payment. I already trust PayPal with that info.

Then, when this recent turmoil occurred, I didn't really want to sign up for it, since I didn't know if they would be going away or if they would be switching to a different payment model.

Then I had a revelation. It doesn't matter if they go away or they switch to a different payment platform. I have easily gotten $45 worth of information and enjoyment from this place. Even if they go away tomorrow, I think giving them a tip on the way out the door is the least I can do, so this morning I signed up. I know not everyone can afford to, and I firmly believe that systems like this are better if they don't make require a fee since that will exclude those who just can't afford it. For things to keep working, those who afford to contribute should do so. I could, so I did.

Thanks UU, and the UU community, for everything you do and everything you are. I hope it doesn't end here, but will totally understand if that is the reality.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Thread Information