Welcome back UU

Changing the screen to white doesn’t make Discord much better but I’ll paste the instructions I posted a few pages back:

Click the "gear" symbol down on the bottom left of the screen for the settings.

In "settings" page, click "Appearance" near the bottom left of the screen.

Select "Light" theme.

Click the "X" on the top right of the screen to go back to the forum.

Hopefully that translates to whatever you’re viewing it on.

(Edit: only relevant on the web browser version.)
Thanks for that,I will give ir a whirl on the tablet I would hate to lose touch with UU as I feel I gain a lot from it

Ukulele Tabs is another ukulele forum. Unlike the Flea Market forum, Ukulele Tabs does have some topical structure. The first page looked strange to me, because it is a hodge-podge of recent posts across all topics. However, the very top of the page, entitled "All Channels" does enable easy movement to the specific topic categories.

Rayan's post #101 is talking about testing XenForo. XenForo is forum software, NOT a chat room app. XenForo is much MUCH easier to moderate than UU's present forum software, but it isn't free by any means.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Folks, it looks to me like Rayan has heard our thoughts about switching to Discord's chat room environment, and he is now working to find other options for keeping this forum alive. He deserves our positive support.

I have pointed out a couple of other ukulele forums but absolutely NOT with the goal of abandoning UU. Those forums are nowhere near as great as UU. NOwhere!!! However, even if UU survives, I believe it's a good idea to support those other forums, while remaining at UU as our home base. For example, on those other forums I saw some posts that were seeking help with ukulele techniques, supplies, or models. Most of those requests remained unanswered. It would be good to look in on those forums, & help out our fellow uke-lovers from time to time, if needed.

XenForo costs $140 to start, add-ons are more. Seems to be a good alternative to the current software. So, let's say software costs $250 to start, less to maintain per year. How much is everything else per year?

I just Paypal'd $45 (~12.3 cents/day) for 12 months o' VIP membership. Point is what might you pay averaged out, to get us to XenForo?

Last edited:
I will look forward to seeing where this goes....or stays. In any event, I want to add my thanks to Rayan and everyone/anyone else who is responsible for keeping this forum alive as long as it has been. It's a tremendous resource, and a great place to stay in touch with the uke community.

There are some good ideas so far. I don't think Discord will work for me. Possibly it's ideal for the Seasonistas, and there was an instrument makers forum mentioned elsewhere, so it could be we end up split up based on specific interests. Unfortunate for us generalists.

But maybe someone will get something else going. Reddit isn't too bad functionally, but I haven't really spent any time on Reddit in the last three years - probably the content. Something similar in functionality to UU would be ideal, but with a better search engine!

So what happened the other day when it was inaccessible? And what is this Discord?

I agree, a chat thing doesn't suit me either. I found a Barry Maz facebook page....solely focused on reviews. Nothing out there like UU. Hey, Bill Gates, how about some money here?!?

Have you looked at the UAS Group on Facebook? Very active.

Ah Discord looks like Tapatalk to me. No thanks. And I definitely don't do chat rooms.
Facebook has a lot to answer for!

So what happened the other day when it was inaccessible? And what is this Discord?

(Cross-posting my response from the other thread.)

This is Discord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYSQB0fUzv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_CE--Mnvs

It works, but nothing like Vbulletin which everyone here is very comfortable with.

Xenforo looks nice but it's more expensive than Discourse which looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6I0Yt5BMY

And here is a video explaining how the YT'er found a more cost friendly way to run Discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFlBgSiyCY

Ah Discord looks like Tapatalk to me. No thanks. And I definitely don't do chat rooms.

Oh yeah, I remember years ago when chat rooms were the big thing.

What year is this? :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the UAS Group on Facebook? Very active.

If this moves to FB I'm effectively barred. I've been fighting with them for months. It's long, and stupid, and we're stuck in a circular back and forth while their right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and they have trash policies anyway. /rant over But yeah, I won't be able to participate. :(

If this moves to FB I'm effectively barred. I've been fighting with them for months. It's long, and stupid, and we're stuck in a circular back and forth while their right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and they have trash policies anyway. /rant over But yeah, I won't be able to participate. :(

This wouldn't be moving to FB, UAS is a separate group in itself, a bit like the UU group that's on there already.

This wouldn't be moving to FB, UAS is a separate group in itself, a bit like the UU group that's on there already.

I know that the info here can't be migrated to FB but I can't use FB at all because of some stupidity they have going on on their backend. For giggles I tried to get into my account after my earlier post and sure enough, they need to confirm my identity. Again. :deadhorse: (I should point out they already have several pieces of ID from me) Now they follow up the confirmation request with, "We currently can't verify your identity. Please try again later." :mad:

My own problems aside I don't understand why people continue to use a platform that sells their data to shady organizations, conducts experiments on users without obtaining the users explicit permission, and I won't even bother to link to articles about the political shenanigans. :confused:

Well you're not missing much. Facebook has become very boring. If it wasn't for the groups that cater to my many interests I'd quit. I'm not interested in social media for its own sake, and can't be doing with people's dramas on there!
But on the other hand, at the moment with what's going on, its handy to keep in touch with family, keep an eye on people.

Kudos you guys, for stepping up with those paid subscriptions!

I've been away from this thread and have not reviewed all the posts yet, but did have an idea regarding the SIZE of the forum database:

If the sheer SIZE of the database has become unmanageable, could we archive this current forum and start fresh with a new similar forum?

Ideally, we could still search the old forum while participating in a new forum with a smaller, cleaner database.

That's just my thoughts anyway. I'm not a scientist, although I sometimes play one on Facebook! :D

Mahalo, UU for taking the initiative to make the right moves!

hope I can learn the new format :)

With all the negative comments about Discord, I doubt it will end up being the new UU forum. if it is, I will most likely not use it very much since it does not serve the community very well.

Too old and tired to handle these changes;while the forum remains in this form,I will be a regular visitor.When/if if migrates, I will be gone.....

Top Bottom