Welcome back UU

Hi Ryan,

It wasn’t at all my intent to blame you in any way.

Again, thanks!

If UU moves over to Discord, I will be permanently out. Not because I couldn't handle that kind of technology, but because I despise it (just like Facebook and Twitter).

Basically this.......but thanks for having given us the use of your forums.

I will now have to try & find another forum to converse on about ukes - so unless we meet on another forum - I'd just like to say that it has been a pleasure to have known you all, & wish you well for the future. :music:

That forum looks promising, and it does have some recent posts re ukuleles. 793 pages of ukulele posts. 4 ukulele posts so far in March 2020 -- doesn't hold a candle to UU but, as EDW said, it may become more lively if UU turns into a chat room.

Yes, as I said as of late it has been relatively quiet, although there is still a lot of great info over there. At one time it was a very busy place and it did have a great deal of valuable discussion. You can still search various topics on the general forum as well as info on vintage ukes at https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp . The format makes it a little tougher as there are not topic specific areas, which may be one reason why this site grew in popularity and that one declined.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of having to keep re-learning technology for things that should just be simple and free of techno-stress. This is a discussion about ukuleles, little wooden boxes with strings on them. Why does it have to be any more complicated than it is?

I can sympathize, but exercising your brain is good for it. When it's not being challenged and learning something new, well, that's not good.

I can understand that we all want this free forum to continue indefinitely, but nothing is really free. Somewhere along the line, someone is working and paying. If 1,000 people paid $100 a year, that would put some money in the kitty, but how many people would actually pay to be on a forum?

I'll continue here for as long as it's practical, but I'll also look at FleaMarketMusic.

I joined discord yesterday and later when I tried to sign in a screen came up with "somethings going on here" and I was not allowed back on.

I agree with much of what is said here. Discord is more of a chatroom than a forum. While at times this forum seems a little like a chat room, there are many, many posts with great information and that style of lengthy posts doesn't work well in a chat room. Perhaps the chatroom could take on the feeling of a forum if set up differently, but I doubt it. Ryan mentioned keeping this forum open in the future but closing it to new members as a way to keep all the old info accessible. A chatroom has its place, like getting a quick answer to a question, but I doubt I would have learned anywhere near as much in a chatroom as I have on this forum. When the forum came back up yesterday, there were 83 people in UkeTalk at one time, which is almost like having a chatroom with a lot of lurkers.

However, with all that said, I'm not against giving the folks who created this forum a chance to see if the new idea can work at least as well as this works. -- If I'm ever allowed back on the discord site.

I'm not even sure I can get Discord and it certainly doesn't seem to fulfil the demands of this existing Forum. Personally, I would be quite happy to pay 45 dollars a year in any case; especially if it would mean that the existing site could be improved or a suitable alternative found, rather than a chatroom.

For me, a chat room is no substitute for a forum. I would be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of continuing to use a forum like this.

John Colter

I would be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of continuing to use a forum like this.

John Colter

I'm sure many people would be willing to pay, but how many? Actually making the payment is different from discussing it, and it would have to be an on-going payment. A site needs regular, steady income. Bills have to be paid. I hate to say it, but maybe shutting down right away would be best. Cutting back on services and watching the number of responses decline would mean a slow death for it. Better to go out on a high note and switch to the FM forum.

I'm sure many people would be willing to pay, but how many? Actually making the payment is different from discussing it, and it would have to be an on-going payment. A site needs regular, steady income. Bills have to be paid. I hate to say it, but maybe shutting down right away would be best. Cutting back on services and watching the number of responses decline would mean a slow death for it. Better to go out on a high note and switch to the FM forum.

What's the "FM Forum?" I can't even download Discord, so that's me finished! And I would certainly be willing to pay!

Somebody who knows how to do it...start a poll.
"Would you pay $20 a year to keep this alive?"
See how many responses you get, then you will have an idea of your cashflow.

To be honest, when I signed up, I was curious what made someone a UU VIP member (initially thought it had something to do with number of posts), but then I assumed it was people who signed up for UU online lessons and content. I had no idea it had anything to do with supporting the forum.

Without any marketing, most of us happily carry on enjoying the forum for free. Even Wikipedia asks me for money once a year. An annual membership drive might have helped.

I'll give Discord a try to see if I warm up to it, or for possible news of a new forum.

Last edited:
For me, a chat room is no substitute for a forum. I would be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of continuing to use a forum like this.

John Colter

+1.

I greatly appreciate all the work that the mods have been doing over the years, as well as the contributions of the members here.
I don't like chats, so won't go to Discord if that's what it is. I also don't do Facebook, so if this moves over there, I'll be out, too. But, that's my choice, and not a reason for anyone to decide one way or another about those options.

This forum has played a large role in my ukulele/music experiences, which probably would have quickly ended without this forum. It's been a fantastic resource, with both current posts and the archive of old posts to read through. I would certainly pay for that option.

I have paid at times, and would do so again. If the mods decide to charge a fee to take part, or set up a gofundme (or similar type of thing), I'll definitely contribute. I'm currently out of both jobs I work, but that means that I have more time for something like this during my shelter in place orders, and I'll make sure to contribute $ if that will keep the forum going.

I know that it wasn't COVID-19 that might take out this forum, but it kind of feels that way, due to the timing. So much is changing right now for so many. I hope that you all stay safe and stay healthy, whatever happens to this forum.

I have read through the posts. I have signed up at Discord.........The irony of the name........try to follow an idea, have a meaningful thoughtful back and forth discussion on a topic, research a topic, get back to someone on a question they had.......try doing that on a running chat board and all I can think about is discord.

That being said I will give it a try.

Over the years I have and still do maintain paid membership on several online forums. Most have been in the $20 to $35 range annually. I have paid to be a hobbyist on one board where I made and sold items (this was a monthly fee). Membership usually had a couple of perks such as a members only area or access to a closed classified area. Sometimes a lack of adds.

I think about it this way. I have and still do have several magazine subscriptions. They run about $25 to $35 a year. I received several organizational printings as well. While I still enjoy a printed copy some of these are offered on line as well. I support one Patreon monthly that annually adds up to around the same cost as one of my subscriptions.

I'll pay for the UU VIP at $45 a year. I can afford this at this time. I would like to see it a little lower. Maybe attract a few more people. I don't really need access to all of UU lessons and video's at this time. That should be a different fee level.

I don't do and have no intention of ever doing Facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter and the like. I don't want or need that kind of social media.

Moderators--I would think that it would be possible to recruit competent moderators from the ranks of UU. Come up with position guidelines--recruit--vet--give people a time frame of service-wave membership fee--should be possible.

I would be sad if the UU forum went away. I would search out other forum venues but really is there anyplace like this on the internet?? I think I would have heard about it by now.

Okay, I need to say this.

I am going to be really sad if this forum goes under. I like this forum, and I dont really do well with change, because of my ADHD.

If this forum goes under, I will either find another forum or log off for good.

Jared

I must admit that I didn't fully understand what the UU VIP program was either. When I first arrived and glanced at it, I quickly decided to ignore it, since I didn't really know UU and didn't really want yet another place to have my financial info so they could charge me. Now I realize that they just use a PayPal subscription, so I don't really need to worry about the security of my payment. I already trust PayPal with that info.

Then, when this recent turmoil occurred, I didn't really want to sign up for it, since I didn't know if they would be going away or if they would be switching to a different payment model.

Then I had a revelation. It doesn't matter if they go away or they switch to a different payment platform. I have easily gotten $45 worth of information and enjoyment from this place. Even if they go away tomorrow, I think giving them a tip on the way out the door is the least I can do, so this morning I signed up. I know not everyone can afford to, and I firmly believe that systems like this are better if they don't make require a fee since that will exclude those who just can't afford it. For things to keep working, those who afford to contribute should do so. I could, so I did.

Thanks UU, and the UU community, for everything you do and everything you are. I hope it doesn't end here, but will totally understand if that is the reality.

Top Bottom