Welcome back UU

:shaka::agree::music:

Reposting my posts in site announcements, we are debating whether or not to close this forum sometime (lock new registrations and posts) in the future. I understand that there is so much history here and reasons why people would want to keep the forum, but its expensive and time-consuming to maintain and the revenue that UU VIP and the ads bring in does not nearly cover the expenses. However, nothing is final and I'm listening to feedback. (edited post for clarity)

:

I want to invite you all to our new Ukulele Underground Discord server.

This forum is now 13 years old, and though she has served the ukulele community well, she is tired and needs a break.

Discord is a realtime chat platform that is free to use. There are apps for it for every device and you'll be able to talk and post pictures and even voice. chat with your fellow UU members in real time.

All you need is to click this link and create a discord profile.

https://discord.gg/spkGkGZ

The forum will stay up, but honestly, discord is a much better place to hang out in this day of smart phones and tablets. The mods and I will get it set up just like the forum so you won't miss much from here. I hope to see you all in there.

-Ryan

Last edited:
Discord is a realtime chat platform that is free to use. There are apps for it for every device and you'll be able to talk and post pictures and even voice. chat with your fellow UU members in real time. ... ...

The forum will stay up, but honestly, discord is a much better place to hang out in this day of smart phones and tablets. The mods and I will get it set up just like the forum so you won't miss much from here. I hope to see you all in there.

-Ryan
I don't use a smart phone or a tablet --- just a plain laptop that has extremely high security. I only want to post & read posts -- simple stuff -- no games or live chats -- so, is it absolutely necessary for me to install DiscordSetup.exe?

Last edited:
Yay! I was so sad when the site wasn’t available. Looking forward to the new platform as well!! ���� ��

you can use discord from any web browser. You don't need the app.

Yeah, UU looks like a 1990s bulletin board but that's part of the charm. It's like a time machine and I feel like I'm 25 years younger! But I suppose the retro features and appearance are embarrassing to the tech trendy. Not a smart phone or tablet user—screens too dad burn small. 27 inches seems to be my minimum screen size for optimal viewing.

its more about maintaining and modding the forum that has been the issue over the past few years. The database is huge and the mod tools available aren't the best.

Okay, I registered there but I'm 90 and too set in my ways. It is much too black and *groovy-juvy* for this old dog. No offense, but I will probably stay here at this forum until it fades away, then ... sayonara.

(In actuality, Discord is not really a "forum" software, is it? On the other hand, XenForo, for example, is a modern, 21st century forum app, in use by forums across the internet, such as THIS one.)

Last edited:
Okay, I registered there but I'm 90 and too set in my ways. It is much too black and *groovy-juvy* for this old dog. No offense, but I will probably stay here at this forum until it fades away, then ... sayonara.

Yeah, I hear you about the black. I just found how to change the screen to white background - if you or others are interested.

Click the "gear" symbol down on the bottom left of the screen for the settings.

In "settings" page, click "Appearance" near the bottom left of the screen.

Select "Light" theme.

Click the "X" on the top right of the screen to go back to the forum.

As of now, I don't seem to be able to get Discord ... I mainly use an Acer Chromebook. (But I would second the others in saying thanks to you, Rayan (and the other mods.) for what you do.)

I would guess this is going to displace a lot of people and only a certain percentage of the participants from this forum will migrate to the new thing. I'm not clear if there is even going to be a forum there or it's just live chat and that's it. Sure, this forum format isn't the newest thing, but forums like this are still rather popular. Another that comes to mind is acousticguitarforum.com It has tons of people on it...So the demand is still there. I'm doubtful I'll be making the move to the newer place, especially if there isn't a forum that is easy to follow like this is. Someone else might come along and make another similar that takes up the place. Hm.
I guess I don't post that much to begin with though. It goes in spurts. I read more than post. I do think I'll miss this when it's gone. I wish all well though. :)

Yeah, and more noticeable when you're sitting at home all day :) I think a lot of folks have become more dependent on their virtual relationships and activities these days. Glad to see UU Forums back up, and thanks to the guys behind the curtain that make it all happen ~

It looks to me that Discord is a chat site. It seems to me that not having threads where users can discuss a topic is a big disadvantage.

While I appreciate setting up the UU Discord server and while understanding the problems of maintaining an old forum software, Discord is really not a substitute for a forum such as this. As mentioned already, it's a live chat type of ordeal, and since it doesn't even support threads there is no longevity regarding discussions. On a forum, you can have people discussing a topic for weeks. Not so much on Discord where you need to be having the discussion, whatever it is, right there and then. Discord complements a forum type community very nicely (or vice versa, if you prefer) but they are definitely not interchangeable.

If this forum goes away, is there another good ukulele forum?

That's my issue personally. As far as I know, there aren't any that are active. There's a ukulele subreddit which is somewhat active but Reddit doesn't offer separate sections for different types of discussions meaning that all discussions from song covers to beginner questions gets lumped together. Although, I'd still prefer that to Discord to be honest.

Discord is more of a chat service but there are many features that we can add that will address a lot of the concerns of it not being a "forum". Feel free to let me know in this thread what your concerns are.

Top Bottom