Welcome back UU

The other thing is, there are no other ukulele forums. Except for Flea Market of course, which is older than UU!
I wanted to find one for ukulele players in the UK. Nothing

I’ve been on this forum since 2011, and if it closes, I’m on my own...I will not spend time getting on new platforms and whatnot...I’ll keep making videos and playing my ukes...probably search the odd info here and there, but the great thing about the UU forum is all the stuff you just learn by randomly browsing the different sections. That will be very hard to replace. Sad news, this.

If this moves to FB I'm effectively barred. I've been fighting with them for months. It's long, and stupid, and we're stuck in a circular back and forth while their right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and they have trash policies anyway. /rant over But yeah, I won't be able to participate. :(

Have you tried signing in with a different name and email address?

Kudos you guys, for stepping up with those paid subscriptions!

I've been away from this thread and have not reviewed all the posts yet, but did have an idea regarding the SIZE of the forum database:

If the sheer SIZE of the database has become unmanageable, could we archive this current forum and start fresh with a new similar forum?

Ideally, we could still search the old forum while participating in a new forum with a smaller, cleaner database.

That's just my thoughts anyway. I'm not a scientist, although I sometimes play one on Facebook! :D

A new "lighter" forum is a good idea, if the old one is preserved one could still link to old threads to incorporate the "old"knowledge...

on a side note, i used the paypal-donate option and made a "good" donation, and as soon there is more clarity concerning UU i will become a VIP member...

Thank you all for either the good work here and all the good content!

LarryS states :The other thing is, there are no other ukulele forums. Except for Flea Market of course, which is older than UU!

Well there are! I have been a member of the Ukulele Cosmos far longer than I have been on this board, and regularly use both! It is UK based too.

LarryS states :The other thing is, there are no other ukulele forums. Except for Flea Market of course, which is older than UU!

Well there are! I have been a member of the Ukulele Cosmos far longer than I have been on this board, and regularly use both! It is UK based too.

Cool, will look for it

But doesn't that defeat the purpose? Besides, I wouldn't trust them with a new account anymore than I trust with the old one.

I did that a couple of years ago. Closed down my Facebook, then after a while I opened a new one, with a new email address

Ukulele Cosmos is a strange beast. Started out as a ukulele forum, but now it seems to be more a general discussion platform for about a dozen or so regulars. As one of the very early members, I still use it every day. We are, in general, an amiable bunch, and do sometimes even talk about ukuleles.

New members are very welcome, but some find the atmosphere cliquey. It's just that most of the regulars have been around a long time and many have met face-to-face over the years. Come and join us and see what you make of it.

BTW, there are moderators but they are very permissive. Be prepared for occasional bad language and forcefully expressed opinions.

John Colter

I just registered there. It is a real forum, not like Discord. I already made a post in the bass uke forum, but UU is still my primary forum.

I'm a new ukulele player and the UU forum has been invaluable to getting me started. I've just subscribed with the hope that UU will keep going in its current format. Cheers!

If you want to be on FB

I don't actually. bellgamin gets it.

Has there been any update regarding a possible xenforo migration? (I wonder if that's in any way associated with ZenForums from way back when?)

I did that a couple of years ago. Closed down my Facebook, then after a while I opened a new one, with a new email address

I would happily bomb it from orbit if I could. But I cannot close it. I'm stuck in some kind of circular loop. :mad:

It appears that Ukulele cosmos hasn't had much action in the last two years. I signed up anyway.

It looks to me that Discord is a chat site. It seems to me that not having threads where users can discuss a topic is a big disadvantage.

Agree. I understand this site is outmoded and difficult to maintain. But it provides a true "forum" for discussion. I might as well use FaceBook instead of Discord.

Thanks for saying that. About yesterday, I was quite upset. Under a lot of stress because of many things. This Forum was just one thing.

I apologize about my outburst yesterday.

Jared

No apology needed Jared. You expressed what many of us are feeling. Hopefully we can find a solution to keep this forum, or one like it, going.

Worked my way through the entire thread. Whew!

Rayan, thank you and all of the other moderators for everything you have done and continue to do. You're the best. Whatever happens, from the bottom of my heart, many, many thanks.

I have been a VIP member for almost a year. I joined in 2018 and ponied up in 2019 after participating for about a year. I decided I needed to support the site and did so.

I don't think the forum is marketed or mentioned enough to get enough new users/players involved. I really had to dig to find it the first time. And the only reason I looked was because the UU Marketplace was mentioned and I was curious.

Advertising on a forum requires large numbers of users to make it worth the advertisers' effort. These days, they also want to collect users' data.

One of the reasons I love these forums is that they aren't intrusive and don't sell my information. (At least I don't think they do.)

Properly marketed and promoted we can build membership and raise funding. Finding volunteer moderators is another story.

I couldn't find any real value in becoming a VIP other than not having to dump my PM mailbox as often. No one posts in the VIP area.

There are lots of people who use this forum with backgrounds in advertising, marketing, PR, design, communications, IT, etc. I'm sure some of us can help to raise funds and get the word out.

So, keep us apprised about what is needed and what it will take to keep the forum up and running. And then we can see if we can't find a way to make it happen.

Ukulele Cosmos is a strange beast. Started out as a ukulele forum, but now it seems to be more a general discussion platform for about a dozen or so regulars.

I used to read and post some on that forum many years ago. For some reason I didn't think it was still around.

Yes, Ukulele Cosmos is still staggering along. A bit more ukulele content/input would not come amiss...................

John Colter

Top Bottom