Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Please move to our new UU discord server

Quote Originally Posted by mpd View Post
    What about a community install of Discourse? They have migration tools for vBulletin as well so historical content could be migrated.
    I am trying to get ukulelegrounded.com on vbulletin hosted solution up. I really want
    1. content to be saved from past
    2. easy management model for the community
    Ryan and team use that experiment to see if it makes sense to migrate this forum from self hosted environment to a hosted one which will reduce the pain of keeping the site up by quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mpd View Post
    What about a community install of Discourse? They have migration tools for vBulletin as well so historical content could be migrated.
    I think every other forum I visit runs Discourse (https://www.discourse.org/). It's an adjustment from Vbulletin at first but it *is a forum* with a nice clean design and some built-in safety features (delays between new sign-up and posting, number of posts per day, etc.).

If maintaining a huge database is a part of the problem, then let's please start weeding out the chaff. I say this of my posts as well as anybody else's: they're not all diamonds. Not everything needs to be held onto ad infinitum. (If migration is considered, I would recommend doing this beforehand anyway as it will make the migration more likely to succeed without problem and less time-consuming overall.)

However this turns out, mahalo to Rayan and the rest of the team who kept the forum running for so long.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

Our company went through a similar change about five years ago.

We had a web platform installed in 1996 that had tens of thousands of posts, videos, and images. The architecture (guts) weren’t able to deal with that amount of stuff. The people who operated the site (not we, who moderated it) tried to keep the site running on its original carcass. But it became too unwieldy and crashed a lot. And it became more expensive for us to pay the vendor to keep adding the chewing gum and bailing wire needed to keep the site running.

So we went to a new carcass. It meant our old stuff wasn’t as easy to find, but we could keep going. And the new material we posted looks better and is easier to share and modify.

My guess is the mods here aren’t doing this for a living and the cost of keeping this old car running isn’t worth it. So you move to a new model that’s different. Better, in the long run, maybe, but different now.

I’m amazed they could keep this heap afloat as long as they did. I hope Discord works.
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Our company went through a similar change about five years ago.

We had a web platform installed in 1996 that had tens of thousands of posts, videos, and images. The architecture (guts) weren’t able to deal with that amount of stuff. The people who operated the site (not we, who moderated it) tried to keep the site running on its original carcass. But it became too unwieldy and crashed a lot. And it became more expensive for us to pay the vendor to keep adding the chewing gum and bailing wire needed to keep the site running.

So we went to a new carcass. It meant our old stuff wasn’t as easy to find, but we could keep going. And the new material we posted looks better and is easier to share and modify.

My guess is the mods here aren’t doing this for a living and the cost of keeping this old car running isn’t worth it. So you move to a new model that’s different. Better, in the long run, maybe, but different now.

I’m amazed they could keep this heap afloat as long as they did. I hope Discord works.
    I too am grateful and thankful to the mods for all their hard work in starting and growing Ukulele Underground and, especially, the forums. And it's probably true that UU has outgrown it's carcass. I respect the people who run this site and I'm sure they know much more than I possibly could about what it needs. I just don't think discord, which behaves more like a chat and, therefore, very much unlike a forum, is the proper form of new carcass. When a snail outgrows its shell, it finds a bigger shell. It doesn't move into a milk carton.

This is Discord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYSQB0fUzv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_CE--Mnvs

It works, but nothing like Vbulletin which everyone here is very comfortable with.

This is Discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6I0Yt5BMY

And this is another video from the YT'er showing a cheaper way to run it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFlBgSiyCY
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

I've only been here for a short time and I'm happy with the status quo. Chat lines are not for me so I'll continue to visit this forum and when it closes up I'll say It's been nice.... bye.

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    I've only been here for a short time and I'm happy with the status quo. Chat lines are not for me so I'll continue to visit this forum and when it closes up I'll say It's been nice.... bye.
    I'm with you,Willy
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Yup - Willy and Timbuck (Ken), I've had a look at Discord and it doesn't work for me.

John Colter

I´m new here, had a look at Discord but didn't understand any of it, and couldn´t work out if or how I could post.
    Could be age-related on my part, but I´m a writer, not a chatterer.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Yup - Willy and Timbuck (Ken), I've had a look at Discord and it doesn't work for me.

John Colter
    This is it for me too Geesh , this has been such a great site , It's like your favorite tv show being cancelled and you think , I wonder why it was cancelled , everyone liked it.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Thread Information