Season 424 - ‘On The Spectrum’

Hello, Del! I had never heard of this song before this morning, nor had I ever heard of The Box Tops, who were first to record it. It has absolutely nothing to do with microwave ovens, but I think it fits the spirit of the week ...

Great theme!
I'm setting off squarely in the visible light section of the electromagnetic spectrum with arguably the greatest ever pop song about spotlights...

Holy cow. I’ve got some homework to do. :)

Very interesting theme indeed! Thanks for hosting Del ~

Last edited:
This is a song about a ham radio operator whose wife keeps talking to him when he's trying to contact someone on the radio. I thought about doing a song full of ham jargon for Yukio's season of different lingoes, but didn't. This one has quite a bit of jargon, so I put some explanations below the video.

Q5 - fully audible and understandable
QRM - man-made interference
cluster - also DX cluster - a centralized station that provides info on frequencies and times of operation of distant (usually international) stations, accessible by radio and/or internet
S9 - a very strong signal that registers at a 9 on the signal strength meter of a radio
finals - where the transmission comes out of the amplifier on its way to the antenna
split - transmitting and receiving on different frequencies
band police - basically the ham radio equivalent of a troll
QSO - often spoken simply as "cue-so," a successful communication
shack - the room where the radio equipment is
filter - a device that can somewhat help to cancel out harmful interference
QRT - to close down the station; to go off the air
log - a list of all successful QSOs, listing frequences used, time in UTC, station call signs, mode of communication, and any other important information

Jeez John this song so deserves a life - I cover it in tribute to your oh so fine song writing skills and I do like to give songs i love a went - I think I have asked before and I should remember but your last name would help me attribute it properly on youtube....

Greetings,

I selected this one for the reference to Rock n Roll station (radio waves ). Tried to get “techy” with the song and vid. Hope all are well, it’s pretty eerie, dreary, and scary in NJ but my family is all fine.

Be well!

Ciao

Reddit created a Seasons of the Ukulele subreddit for us at https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/
I have posted the OG seasons post there (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Your-invitation-to-the-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele!). Do you mind if I post this season there as the 1st reddit season?
Okay - let’s give it a go and run the season here and there in parallel! A more conventional forum layout like Reddit would seem more suited to what we do than Discord. So those that want to experiment can post on Reddit (see Caz’s link above) - others can post here if they’d prefer for now. Or I’m happy if you want to post entries on both forums. Cheers Caz for your good work here! :)

Okay - let’s give it a go and run the season here and there in parallel! A more conventional forum layout like Reddit would seem more suited to what we do than Discord. So those that want to experiment can post on Reddit (see Caz’s link above) - others can post here if they’d prefer for now. Or I’m happy if you want to post entries on both forums. Cheers Caz for your good work here! :)

At the moment I just put a link there that leads here so posting here is enough but by all means do both. In the future I can continue sharing links to here, there - but if we need a place in the future then at least reddit is a fine option.
I look forwards to participating in this season during the week

One from your host! Apologies to CharleyB who has already done a fine cover of this one.

Qualifies by virtue of the band name! :)

I’ll have a go at also posting this on the new Seasons forum on Reddit, kindly set up for us by Cazteclo.

Thanks for hosting Del! Pretty active for the first day :) I guess it's not surprising considering the amount of extra time so many people have at home these days. Here is a song by Jeff Lynne about his childhood dreams. I hope everyone is doing well ~

Season of the Ukulele celebrates the electromagnetic spectrum, which, happily, includes visible light. And according to John, Paul, George, and Ringo, visible light includes black, white, green, red (can I take my friend to bed?), pink brown, yellow, orange, and blue (I love you!) All together now!

Wow - not even 24 hours into the season and 17 fabulous entries on the playlist! Thank you all! Please let me know if I’ve missed anything, and please keep them coming! :)

My initial thoughts on what to play yesterday turned out to be way off the mark. So here's one from Florence and the Machine

Top Bottom