Season 424 - ‘On The Spectrum’

Strictly speaking, the title of this one refers to an absence of the electromagnetic spectrum. Fortunately, the Stones put plenty of other colours in the lyrics.

"Love Shine A Light" was the Eurovision Song Contest winning song in 1997 by the UK. In earlier Seasons, at least BEVOMU, UkeCan1, BigDaddyUker and Randy have made their great versions of this song.

Good afternoon/evening/morning* folks - just caught up with all your wunnerful entries - please check the playlist and let me know if I’ve missed anything! 38 entries so far - would be great to get over 50 by the end of the week. See what you can do for me?

Just a word about Steve’s online open mic event yesterday- and that word is ‘brilliant’. Thought it would last for 40 minutes - actually lasted a couple of hours, and even then only stopped when Steve was called in for his tea! The music was great and so was the banter. The next one is planned for Monday 6th April - check out the fine details here.

Thanks all again! :)

*Delete as appropriate

I really wasn't planning on doing a third song for the season but a couple of hours ago I heard the very sad news that Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne had passed away. This song came instantly to mind. It's a one take deal, a bit rough around the edges but it fits the theme and also acts as my tribute to him.
R.I.P

This song mentions communication by landline and cellphone - both of which use electromagnetic waves to function. It's really an attack on myself. I am the person addressed in the song and quite a few of my friends could probably identify with the narrator.

I don't want to come across as such a dominant character, but there are two major factors why I tend to dominate conversations:
1) My short term memory is getting so bad that if I don't say what's on my mind in that moment, then I will forget it.
2) I have never been good at silences... I feel I need to break them.

and in the spirit of the Spanish Inquisition sketch

3) I really should learn to listen better.

I am sure you will all know someone who fits the bill for both the narrator and their target.

Hope you enjoy:

Hello again, Del! I can't believe how long it took to upload this video to YouTube ... just hope it was worth the effort. This song goes way back to 1929, and was sung by Janet Gaynor (who does fantastic things with a top hat in the YouTube clip from the film). I think it covers the requirements of the Spectrum theme, whilst also being upbeat ... which can't be bad at the moment!

To hell with one colour I thought...let's do a rainbow. Instrooomentally......Somewhere Over The Result of the refraction and dispersion of the sun's light by rain or other water droplets in the atmosphere.

I've been getting into a lot of tin pan alley stuff lately, so I went looking for "wireless" and found this song from 1922. It's very hard, but I've been working on it all week and thought I'd better do it before I run out of time.

it turns out del loves "fade and away and radiate" by blondie, as much as i do, and very kindly brought his synth and production magic to a collab version of this wonderful song - THANK YOU SO MUCH DEL!

let's bathe in that pure blue neon glow one more time...

Just a word about Steve’s online open mic event yesterday- and that word is ‘brilliant’. Thought it would last for 40 minutes - actually lasted a couple of hours, and even then only stopped when Steve was called in for his tea! The music was great and so was the banter. The next one is planned for Monday 6th April - check out the fine details here.
is there any recording of this available anywhere? it sounds so great and those of us that couldn't/can't be there, i'm sure would love to see what goes on

apologies Del
need to repost this with a new link for the season playlist

it turns out del loves "fade and away and radiate" by blondie, as much as i do, and very kindly brought his synth and production magic to a collab version of this wonderful song - THANK YOU SO MUCH DEL!

let's bathe in that pure blue neon glow one more time...

is there any recording of this available anywhere? it sounds so great and those of us that couldn't/can't be there, i'm sure would love to see what goes on

At one point during the session a red square and someone with a strange user name appeared to join the session and it was speculated that it must be BEV. We then had a very short discussion if you did appear which part of you anatomy would the camera be pointed at.

apologies Del
need to repost this with a new link for the season playlist
Hi Jon - both original links are working and seem to be the same as those in your reposts above (all the original comments are still showing).

It is on my to-do list! About half way through the session I pressed the Record button, which I assumed would only work if I had a paid Zoom account (which I don't). And lo and behold, when I closed the session it went on and saved a 700Mb video file. If I can edit it in any way, I will try and pick out some highlights, but it might be a day or two away...

Where would we be without our telephones to keep in touch.
Here is an oldie from a bygone age when you used to have to call
Up an operator at central to connect your call.

Ahoy everybody
Here is an experimental metal attempt. Drop-F tuning (Low-F, C, F, A#)
Deftones - The Boys Republic

Last edited:
Elvis Costello's take on the radio industry c.1978

Thanks for hosting this week Del! Here is a collaboration with 3 folks i've never met face to face. Recently joined a virtual open mic here in Houston, and made some new online friends, including Howard Namkin, who plays violin. In chatting with him, I learned he's a Grateful Dead fan, so I suggested doing a Dead song, and this is one of the ones he suggested. Joined as well by Jon Duncan and Joo did the video for us. I hope everyone is doing well ~

Top Bottom