New Ohana Models??

Astein2006

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Ohana is planning any new models? I’m hoping for a mahogany soprano with a wider nut with than what they already have on the sk-38 and 39.

Haven't heard of any new Ohanas offering that, but would be surprised if they did, since very few of the imported from China uke manufacturers (Ohana, Mainland, Kala, etc) seem inclined to offer wider nuts. Even some dealers seem to think it a strange request to want a wider string spacing on an otherwise standard 35mm nut. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't hold your breath. Ohana's always seems to becoming out with new models (maybe too many?), but they seem to be happy with their current nut width. I've gotten used to my SK-38 nut/neck - had the nut replaced with a slightly wider string spread last year. Having a 36mm nut with a 30 mm string spread would be awesome, but ultimately you have to shop other brands for that.

Yeah, don't hold your breath. Ohana's always seems to becoming out with new models (maybe too many?), but they seem to be happy with their current nut width. I've gotten used to my SK-38 nut/neck - had the nut replaced with a slightly wider string spread last year. Having a 36mm nut with a 30 mm string spread would be awesome, but ultimately you have to shop other brands for that.

Hey Glenn, what is the nut width on your Ohana SK-38? On Mims site, it says it is 1 5/16", which translates to 33.33mm. Is that right? I always thought they were the standard 35mm of most imports. Also, what was then string spread on yours originally, and after your conversion? 33.33mm is very narrow, I'd def have trouble with that.

Most vintage Martin sops I've seen have had nuts of 35-36mm, and string spreads of about 30mm. The wider string spread makes even a 35mm nut very manageable for me.

Last edited:

What is the string spread now on your 38? I have a 39 which I love but after playing my 60’s Martin O, I can really feel the difference and have to adjust. Might consider your mod if it made a nice difference.

Haven't heard of any new Ohanas offering that, but would be surprised if they did, since very few of the imported from China uke manufacturers (Ohana, Mainland, Kala, etc) seem inclined to offer wider nuts. Even some dealers seem to think it a strange request to want a wider string spacing on an otherwise standard 35mm nut. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Doesn’t make any sense to me. Many of Obama’s models are direct copies of Martins but with a narrower nut and string spacing. You’d think if they wanted to appeal to that market they would using vintage measurements.

Doesn’t make any sense to me. Many of Ohana’s (edit) models are direct copies of Martins but with a narrower nut and string spacing. You’d think if they wanted to appeal to that market they would using vintage measurements.

Yeah, right? :confused:

Never mind the new models. I want to re buy for the 5th time a SK35G and there is no stock in the UK. :)

Hey Glenn, what is the nut width on your Ohana SK-38? On Mims site, it says it is 1 5/16", which translates to 33.33mm. Is that right? I always thought they were the standard 35mm of most imports. Also, what was then string spread on yours originally, and after your conversion? 33.33mm is very narrow, I'd def have trouble with that.

Most vintage Martin sops I've seen have had nuts of 35-36mm, and string spreads of about 30mm. The wider string spread makes even a 35mm nut very manageable for me.

Nut width is 34 mm

What is the string spread now on your 38? I have a 39 which I love but after playing my 60’s Martin O, I can really feel the difference and have to adjust. Might consider your mod if it made a nice difference.

My original string spread was 27.4 mm and my luthier increased it to 28.4. I was hoping for 29, but she's the expert. I wouldn't say it made a huge difference, minor improvement. I'd still prefer a more substantial neck.

It's still no Martin - 36mm & 29-30mm I think, on the newer S1's, but it's such a light-weight, loud little uke with that vintage look that the S1's don't have anymore. A Timms would probably tick all the boxes for me (at 3 times the price of an SK-38). All depends on your price range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom