Sound Port Jig for Soprano and Tenor

mandodiddle

Reaction score
Needed a change of routine with all this social distancing happening, so I got out of my building routine and made a sound port jig that would be good for both soprano and tenor ukuleles. Totally stole this idea from Chris Paulick who got his jig idea from one made by Tony Karol.
I'm in the middle of a 15 uke build and all of them are going to have sound ports so ---- I thought now was the time to make this step a little easier. It took me most of the week (I'm not a professional) but I finally got it where it would work for both soprano and tenor. You can use it for a new build or in an existing ukulele. It was fun and a nice break from the build routine.
Anyway, here it is:Sound Port Jig for Soprano and Tenor Ukulele.jpgSounf Port Jig on Tenor Ukulele.jpgSound Port Jig on Soprano Ukulele.jpg

What do you cut the hole with?
Edit: I mean the actual ukulele side, not the jig. :)

I will use a 1/4" downcut spiral bit most of the time. I have a 1/8" downcut spiral bit that I may use to slightly modify the sound port hole size, but either one of them do a great job.
The one advantage of the 1/4" downcut spiral bit is that it has a longer cutting edge, 3/4" as compared to 1/2" for the 1/8" bit. This helps if the radius of the side where you are cutting the port is significant.
Both are used in a laminate trimmer.

Bob, that would be a hand coping saw and a spindle sander.
I got an ellipse template online. There are several and they are cheap. (I got tired of trying to generate the right size on my computer.)
Hope this helps.

Ellipse template.jpg

Top Bottom