Seasonistas on-line get together / open mic

I haven't worked out the difference between doing the full download (as I have) and just clicking on the meeting link - not sure what settings you have available if you do the latter. Anyway, we are all learning as we go along.

Which Zoom did you download? There were quite a few options....

Brian - if you want to do a quick test, just let me know. Also, on a PC you might want to look at the audio settings and disable the background noise suppression in the Advanced section. It can cause the filtering to take out the ukulele!

OK Zoom is downloaded and has a short cut on my desktop and I have made the audio adjustments so I guess I'm as ready as I can be - now just need to be awake at 1am Tuesday morning - shouldn't be too hard - I'll just have more poppy naps than I usually do tomorrow....

This page & video explain the changes to the Zoom audio settings that can be altered for music

https://www.google.com/amp/s/networkphil.com/2020/03/23/optimize-zoom-audio-settings-for-a-remote-music-lesson/amp/
I was using the Zoom iPad app for the first session and I know there were issues with my audio when playing/singing with a backing track, even though I was using an external condenser mic. However, there doesn’t seem to be anything like the same amount of audio tweaking possible on the iPad app as there is on the PC version. I would use my laptop, except I don't have a webcam. Happy to get one if this becomes a regular event though. Let’s see how it goes on Monday! :)

I was using the Zoom iPad app for the first session and I know there were issues with my audio when playing/singing with a backing track, even though I was using an external condenser mic. However, there doesn’t seem to be anything like the same amount of audio tweaking possible on the iPad app as there is on the PC version. I would use my laptop, except I don't have a webcam. Happy to get one if this becomes a regular event though. Let’s see how it goes on Monday! :)

Yeah I was using the app on my android tablet and there were no settings available whilst I was in the chat.

I've gone into the app since and still don't get any audio options.

I have been using Zoom, though the more I learn about it, the more reservations I have. Zoombombing's already been mentioned (Steve's password-protecting his sessions to guard against this), but there are all kinds of other security issues with Zoom (they're lying about having E2E encryption for example: the only E2E encryption is between one Zoom server and another; client-Zoom connections are not encrypted, and connections between pairs of US users have been found to have actually been routed via China(!); plus Zoom sucks up personal user data worse than Cambridge Analytica on a bad day).

All that said, if you are going use Zoom for performing music, you need to watch this video to get the best audio settings for performance. It's a two-part process. First, in the app, you need to enable the 'Use Original Sound' option (Zoom/Preferences/Audio/Advanced). Second once that option is enabled, you then, in a meeting, need actually to select the "Use Original Sound" option. This video explains all.

Also, bandwidth is key. If you're Zooming, you don't want anyone streaming/gaming in the next room. Also no microwaving if you're using wifi. They use the same frequencies.

Last edited:
..if you are going use Zoom for performing music, you need to watch this video to get the best audio settings for performance. It's a two-part process. First, in the app, you need to enable the 'Use Original Sound' option (Zoom/Preferences/Audio/Advanced). Second once that option is enabled, you then, in a meeting, need actually to select the "Use Original Sound" option. This video explains all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50NoWIiYECA

In the application, Zoom/Preferences/Audio
Screenshot 2020-04-05 14.04.20.jpg

Choose 'Advanced'. Click on 'Show in-meeting option "Enable Original Sound"...' - you'll notice you don't actually have to disable the "Suppress Background Noise" options (though there's no harm in doing so). Choosing the "Enable Original Sound" option - once you're in a meeting! - will automatically suppress all Zoom audio processing, including those options.
Zoom prefs.jpg

Open/Join a meeting. You will now see a "Turn On Original Sound" option top left, where there wasn't this option previously. Click on it to enable. The button will then read "Turn Off Original Sound" and you're good to go. The video above shows what a difference in sound quality that checking this option makes.
Screenshot 2020-04-05 14.18.22.jpg

STARTING TIME
Obviously we’re all in different time zones around the planet so I thought it might be helpful to use the time of this post (shown in the top left corner) for you to know exactly when the Zoom session will start wherever you are. If you join 8 hours on from the time shown you’ll be there at the start! :)

Do you need to sign up to get the audio options?

Last time I just clicked the link and got connected, without signing up.
And I can install the app without signing up.
But it only show "Jojn Meeting" and "sign up" in the app, nothing about settings.

Yes, you have to download the free app Mikkel! In my experience the added benefits are worth the trouble ~

I've downloaded the app on my android tablet, which I used last week but couldnt access any settings from the chat.

I've since had a play around outside the chat, and even signed up for an account, but these are the sum total of the settings I have access to:

Screenshot-20200406-122418-Zoom.jpg

Yes, you have to download the free app Mikkel! In my experience the added benefits are worth the trouble ~

I did download it, I am courious about whether I need to create an account to access settings.

I have ticked a box in the Zoom web portal which says "Allow users to select original sound in their client settings". Having done that, I hope that, even if you have no audio settings to play with, you will see an option in the top left of your screen to preserve original audio.

I was able to get through the entire process except for clicking it in a live chat, so hopefully that box will pop up when I join

how long is the session supposed to go for? It is noon here in Virginia, USA and according to Alexa 4 PM London is 11 AM here. I cannot connect.

Sorry you didn't make it Janet. If you want to try connecting again sometime, let me know, and we can do a quick test.

Another fun 90 minutes, and good to see Brian staying up so late!

I have booked the next one for Saturday 11th, at 9.30pm UK time, which by my sums is 6.30am in Sydney, and mid/late afternoon in the USA, so I hope a few can make that one.

Time: Apr 11, 2020 09:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/922776108?pwd=aytQKzRwU3ZlZXhSTGNWRndVVllFUT09

Meeting ID: 922 776 108
Password: seasons

here's my song especially written for the occasion
not exactly about the end of the world - but Trent did share one on that subject

zoom - the video quality was fine but i have to say i was very disappointed by the audio quality - i guess we get what we pay for
I have a mic somewhere - might try to set it up for the next one

thanks for setting these up Steve!

Last edited:
Top Bottom