Seasonistas on-line get together / open mic

Hi, kind people! I'm stoked to host open mic this weekend on 12/25. My Zoom Room number is 623 009 0567. Usual time (12:30 Pacific, 20:30 GMT). See you then!

Hi, kind people! I'm stoked to host open mic this weekend on 12/25. My Zoom Room number is 623 009 0567. Usual time (12:30 Pacific, 20:30 GMT). See you then!
Thanks to Ila for jumping in and offering to host this one.
I won't be there - I will be too busy watching the faces of my children as they unwrap yet another copy of Norton's Star Atlas.

here’s what was played last week. I hosted. Thanks to Ila for taking on the host duties next week!
- Voran: "The Blood Red I Know Well", original work
- Brian F: "The Stories of the Street" by Leonard Cohen
- Christopher/Gas Huffer: "Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isbella", part of 12 Provencal noels by Nicolas Saboly, 1668
- Charldene: "On the Sunny Side of the Street" by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields, 1930
- Andy/5: "Father Christmas" by The Kinks
- Del/Hugh Jaarse: "Walking In the Air" by Howard Blake, from the animated film, The Snowman, 1983
- Edwin/JT and the Steamers: "A Winter's Tale" by Tim Rice and Mike Batt, 1982, Edwin included a melodica
- Steve: "Nothing But a Child" by Steve Earle
- Jim P/Hank Aaron Furrabeer: "Sibella" by Richard Thompson
- Ila: "The River of Dreams" by Billy Joel
- Lisa: "Red Plaid Wool", original work, first Christmas song she wrote in approximately 1971 after hearing Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors"
- JoAnn/xoxo: "In the Heart of the Winter", original work
- Jim Yates: "Signifyin' Monkey" by Oscar Brown, Jr.

I don't understand, what's funny? Sorry, someone explain
Ah, did you miss the bit last week where Norton's Star Atlas was found not by one, but by two people, to settle a debate about the names of some stars.

Ah, did you miss the bit last week where Norton's Star Atlas was found not by one, but by two people, to settle a debate about the names of some stars.
No I went to have my bath, sorry I missed that!

I don't understand, what's funny? Sorry, someone explain
The debate was about whether the Pleiades were in Orion or Taurus. Chris said they were in Taurus, and he was right. I was wrong. For some reason, I have always thought they were that cluster of stars in Orion's sword.

Is there a session on Jan 1st? Who is hosting?

Here is the 12/25song list with a good turnout on this Christmas day. The theme was a Holiday Memory or a holiday joke.

- Chris Davies: Family dinner at a restaurant that had an "all you can eat" salad bar and rolls. Movie: ELF. Joke. "Let's Misbehave" by Irving Aaronson and his Commanders, 1928
- Voran: Laughing very hard at her sister on Christmas while in her sister's car. "Harfang" (snowy owl), original work
- Edwin/Ringo Steam: Visit from his French pen friend and the friend's family and sharing family traditions. "Octopus' Garden", Ringo Starr/Beatles
- Mikkel/UkingViking: Joke. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" by Bill Monroe (played with his new Christmas pick)
- Del/HughJarse: Joke. "Do They Know It's Christmas", Bandaid cover
- Charldene: "Groanning Board" dinner in historic Williamsburg, Virginia, USA. "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" by Frank Loesser, 1947
- Brian/American Flyer: Received his first dog, a beagle, at eight years old - Christmas, 1969. Flying", Beatles
- Jim P/Hank Aaron Furrabeer: Thanksgiving holiday where his family exchanged presents. "A Coldplay Christmas" by The Scottish Sock Puppet Theatre
- Kevin: Christmas in Puerto Vallerta with his parents. "Jingle Bell Rock" by J. Beal and J. Boothe, 1957
- Ila (Our HOST today): Joke. "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson
- Christopher/Gas Huffer: Christmas today with his family eating, opening presents, playing games, singing. "It Ain't Nobody's Biz'ness What I Do/No More by Hoosier Hotshots
- Lisa: Met her brother on a long, long flight to their parents in the Philippines for Christmas without knowing he was on the plane. "Soup Kitchen Christmas", original work

Next Open Mic: January 1st. Host: Kev

JOKES (I hope these are correct):

Q: What do you give a man who has everything for Christmas? A: Antibiotics

Patient to Doctor: I can't hear. I have petroleum jelly in one ear and whipped cream in the other ear.
Doctor: Don't worry. You only have a trifle.

Q: How much did Santa pay to park?
A: Nothing. It's on the house.

Q: Knock knock.
A: Who's there?
Q: Little old lady
A: Little old lady who?
Q: I didn't know you knew how to yodel!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Hi, kind people! I'm totally jazzed to host open mic again on 1/8. My Zoom Room number is 623 009 0567. Usual time (12:30 Pacific, 20:30 GMT). See you then!

Kevin hosted today's Open Mic. The theme was favorite comfort food.

- Kev: Soups, pasta. "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley and the Wailers
- Voran: Goat butter. "Lord Sialia" (bluebird song), original work
- Ila/Queen of the Downstrum: Matzo ball soup. "You and Me" by Henry Mancini from the musical Victor Victoria
- Brian C/pabrizzer: Milk. "Don't Change" by INXS.
- Jim P/Hank Aaron Furrabeer: Vietnamese Pho. "Now Is the Time" by Jade Bird
- Christopher/Daisy Fresh: Ramen. "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House
- Del/Hugh Jarse: Marmite Graze Crunch & Nobbly Bobbly. "Ele-MENTAL", original work
- Charldene: Ramen. "Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)" by Carl Sigman & Herb Magidson, 1949
- JoAnn/Debbie Downer: Chocolate. "In the Heart of the Winter", original work
- Marc/Dee Fault: Meatloaf & mashed potatoes, gumbo, daughter's holiday leftovers, Happy Hippos cookies. "Different Drum" by Michael Nesmith, sung by Linda Ronstadt & the Stone Poneys
- Chris Davies: Homemade stew (Mom's special), Whisky Mac (Whisky Macdonald). "I'll See You In My Dreams" by Isham Jones
- Lisa: Monkfruit (also known as Siraitia grosvenorii or luochan guo) "All Is Well", original work, 2008
- Brian F/Hardy Fox: Tom Kha Soup (Tom Kha Gai with chicken) or Tom Kha soup with vegetables. "The Walrus Hunt" by The Residents from their Eskimo album, 1970s. Avant garde concept band

Hello gang - nice to see you all again last night.

This is Cliff Edwards playing his cuatro tuning, with both low G and low A.

another one:

This is the Dread Zeppelin reggae version, with one of the singers being an Elvis impersonator.

The cigar box I mentioned at Saturday's Open Mic session has arrived, and now has pride of place on display in my living room:

robouke.jpg

I think I'll call him "Kryten", after the android from Red Dwarf. He looks a bit more like Marvin (from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), but that's my Roomba's name. Yes I am the sort of person who names inanimate objects...

I'll see if I can post a video later on. The intonation is a little off (action at the nut is very high) but I reckon that should be fixable - it seemed fine with a capo. And I did mostly buy it as art anyway.

The cigar box I mentioned at Saturday's Open Mic session has arrived, and now has pride of place on display in my living room:

View attachment 138103

I think I'll call him "Kryten", after the android from Red Dwarf. He looks a bit more like Marvin (from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), but that's my Roomba's name. Yes I am the sort of person who names inanimate objects...

I'll see if I can post a video later on. The intonation is a little off (action at the nut is very high) but I reckon that should be fixable - it seemed fine with a capo. And I did mostly buy it as art anyway.
What a beauty! I love the hardware on the corners. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds!

What a beauty! I love the hardware on the corners. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds!

Here's a quick sample. I should probably have picked something less complicated - it seems I need a bit more target practice on this one - but the Red Dwarf theme seemed an appropriate choice.

It's pretty quiet acoustically, as you'd probably expect, but there's a pickup so this is what it sounds like plugged in. Otherwise, no effects. Tuned down a half step and with a capo on the first fret, otherwise the action is way too high.

I’ll be hosting on 1/15: zoom meeting 622 972 7495 no password necessary. Here’s the song list from 1/8:

Theme question of the day: What is Voran's true name?

- Voran: "The Oak Tree and Bleached Bone", original work
- Steve: Eleanor (Surname: Highwater or Handcart). "Rendezvous", Bruce Springsteen, 1999
- Ruth: Shell, Sandia, Suzie, Sallie. "Circle Game", Joni Mitchell from her "Blue" album (50 years old in 2021)
- Edwin/John T Steam: Aoife. "Bird in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants
- Jim P/Hank Aaron Furrabeer: Shavon. The "Will-Be That Was", words by Walt Kelly (Pogo cartoons), Jim's original music
- Charldene: Sinead (based on Sinead O'Connor). "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", Hank Williams, Sr.
- Jim Yates: Saskit. "If I Had You" by Irving King and Ted Shapiro
- Del/Hugh Jarse: Sinaed nee O'Reilly. "Ashes to Ashes", David Bowie
- Brian F/S. Flavius Mercurius: Emily Weintraub. "Stairway to Heaven", Led Zeppelin, 1971
- Marc/Ted: Wendy. "Teddy Bears' Picnic" by John Walter Bratton, 1907
- JoAnn/Zerelda Lee: Nulla Fiona Byrnes, Ocean. "Merry Go 'Round" by Kacey Musgraves
- Lisa: "Help Me, Elvis", original work
- Frank: Nancy, McGill, Lil. "Stuff Don't Make You Happy", former title "Retired Middle Class White Guy Blues", original work
- Chris Davies: Nora, Fiona. "Space Oddity", David Bowie
- Joko: Rumpelstilskin. "The Way" by Fastball
- Christopher/Stonecypher: "Rocket Man", Elton John
- Ila/Queen of the Downstream: Barbara. "Room With a View of the Blues" by Johnny Adams, 1988

Top Bottom