Farewll Friends.

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
Last edited:
Am a bit out of the loop at the moment so not kept up with what is happening on the forum. I wish you well Keith, have always enjoyed your Seasons, but you’ve also contributed on other non-Season threads too. All the best mate, if this is indeed goodbye, and not, au revoir :(
John

Cheers Keith. I hope to see you wherever you end up.

I'm not going to attempt to follow both the forum and Discord at the same time, so this is goodbye from me from UU forums too - it's been a real blast. To any of you who choose not to do join Discord, many thanks for your support and companionship and I hope to see you about somewhere or another too.

Cheers,

Jim ("Brükologist Jim" over on Discord)

Are we sure this is actually the case? It was my impression that things would continue over here ... at least for the time being, until we are able to find an alternative.

Are we sure this is actually the case? It was my impression that things would continue over here ... at least for the time being, until we are able to find an alternative.

I don't think we are sure at all. Ryan seems to be willing to explore upgrade/move options which would keep the forum going. It's just that he needs money and mods to do it. I wouldn't bail out yet - we could still be here after all.

The responses from Rayan have been a little confusing and changed a lot over the course of the last day. Here is one of his first statements regarding the existing forum:

"Reposting my posts in site announcements, we are debating whether or not to close this forum sometime (lock new registrations and posts) in the future. I understand that there is so much history here and reasons why people would want to keep the forum, but its expensive and time-consuming to maintain and the revenue that UU VIP and the ads bring in does not nearly cover the expenses. However, nothing is final and I'm listening to feedback."

The way I read this, is he wants to preserve the information accumulated on the forum over the last 13 years, but unless there is a change they will lock new registrations and most importantly "posts" So, if I understand that correctly, we would not be able host SOTU here 'IF' that happens. And my initial impression of the new site is that it is chat site and would not be a viable place to host SOTU either.

For the past few years, I’ve kicked in a few bucks to help support the forums, because I know these endeavors aren’t free or even cheap.

I also know that a forum like this gets really hard to maintain because its guts are so old. It gets unstable, like the old car you hang onto because it’s paid for and it kinda works, but it’s harder to find parts and it’s in the shop more often. I’m not surprised the owners/mods are looking for a new option, especially if it costs little more than their time to maintain.

I joined Discord. You can post videos pretty easily there, and there will be a separate channel for the Seasons, but I have no idea if it will allow us to interact in the way we have.

I hope it does. And I hope to see you here and there until here goes away. If nothing else, we have Facebook. And memories!

I've got a fairly simple solution for keeping the Seasons in place in the current format.

Reddit.com is a massive Internet forum with sub-forums on every topic under the sun. It'd be quite simple to create a seasons-specific sub.

What we wouldn't get is v-bulletin features such as embedding YouTube videos or smilies but other than that things would work much as they do here.

I'd have to look into whether there's a PM functionality but there is the added bonus in that we'd be able to set up our own seasons-specific mods I think, who would obviously be chosen based on the consensus of the community.

I can do a bit more digging if people are interested.

I've got a fairly simple solution for keeping the Seasons in place in the current format.

Reddit.com is a massive Internet forum with sub-forums on every topic under the sun. It'd be quite simple to create a seasons-specific sub.

What we wouldn't get is v-bulletin features such as embedding YouTube videos or smilies but other than that things would work much as they do here.

I'd have to look into whether there's a PM functionality but there is the added bonus in that we'd be able to set up our own seasons-specific mods I think, who would obviously be chosen based on the consensus of the community.

Yes, please! I can't even get Discord to download over here!

Good shout Ryan - well worth further investigation! :)

You should be able to open Discord in a web browser, no?

Edit: I just went there and I'm losing hope I'll warm up to it. Maybe it's better you can't get it to download! :p

Hello, Glen! I mainly use an Acer Chromebook and it doesn't appear to be supporting Discord. Also, I am in the middle of rural France, with a satellite Internet connection, which is poor at the best of times.

I'm willing to try new things, but the name Discord? I know it's only a name, but that seems troubling right from the get-go, certainly not in the vein of the Aloha spirit. I hope this forum sticks around as-is, but even if it does, suspect we'll see more frequent outages as mod-attention shifts to the new platform.

Last edited:
I plan on sticking around here until it is truly closed. I hope that the mods and UU can find a way to keep this, or something very similar going. If this is so long though Keith, thanks for all the music and best fortunes.

Del, Bruko Jim and I have been messing around in Discord, and it is less than ideal compared to this format. However, I think we are figuring out some work arounds. If you submit something for a season and use a hash tag, for example "#Season425" for my upcoming season, then you can search the thread for everything with that tag. Creating a separate thread for each season would be better, but if we could at least pin the current season OP to the top of the seasons thread then everyone would know what hash tag to use and have the links for the playlist, etc.

Reddit sounds like a brilliant idea.
Is there a seasons of the uke discord? where can I find that channel?

Unless I was on a poorly designed one, the only other discord I was on was kind of like a giant twitter page. Just a loose connection of questions/comments rambling on, and you can't really look up ideas or questions. It was just random whatever.

I'll give the uke discord a try and see. Losing the luthier's information, old seasons, and stickies would be sad. Then again, maybe they don't go away on a better designed discord.

I plan on sticking around here until it is truly closed. I hope that the mods and UU can find a way to keep this, or something very similar going. If this is so long though Keith, thanks for all the music and best fortunes.

Del, Bruko Jim and I have been messing around in Discord, and it is less than ideal compared to this format. However, I think we are figuring out some work arounds. If you submit something for a season and use a hash tag, for example "#Season425" for my upcoming season, then you can search the thread for everything with that tag. Creating a separate thread for each season would be better, but if we could at least pin the current season OP to the top of the seasons thread then everyone would know what hash tag to use and have the links for the playlist, etc.

Where are you guys messing about? There is actually a Welcome to the contests section and I have posted there a few times. So far just me and Kelly (Harmony Smurf)

Need someone who's an established member to make the subreddit, unfortunately that ain't me.

I am going to apply for an exception on reddit to create a seasons of the ukulele subreddit - doesn't hurt to try... it is, I think, a more suitable forum than Discord. I am a Discord fan, I use it a lot for online gaming; but it is just that, a gaming communication platform and not a platform to share content.
EDIT: My account on reddit is old enough (about 3yrs old) but I have never done anything there, I just created the account to secure my username back in the day.
I have messaged a moderator, I'll let you know the results. Until then I am going to start using my reddit account and, perhaps, I can become established enough so that I can then create a subreddit later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom