Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewll Friends.

Default Farewell Friends.

Seems like UU is to be no more, or at least, as we have known it.

I will now have to try & find another forum to converse on about ukes - so unless we meet on another forum - I'd just like to say that it has been a pleasure to have known you all, & wish you well for the future.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-back-UU/page9
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 03-29-2020 at 01:47 AM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Am a bit out of the loop at the moment so not kept up with what is happening on the forum. I wish you well Keith, have always enjoyed your Seasons, but you’ve also contributed on other non-Season threads too. All the best mate, if this is indeed goodbye, and not, au revoir
    John

Cheers Keith. I hope to see you wherever you end up.

I'm not going to attempt to follow both the forum and Discord at the same time, so this is goodbye from me from UU forums too - it's been a real blast. To any of you who choose not to do join Discord, many thanks for your support and companionship and I hope to see you about somewhere or another too.

Cheers,

Jim ("Brükologist Jim" over on Discord)
    Corsham Ukulele Jam is at Pound Arts in Corsham, Wiltshire (UK) on the 1st Friday of every month.

Are we sure this is actually the case? It was my impression that things would continue over here ... at least for the time being, until we are able to find an alternative.
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Are we sure this is actually the case? It was my impression that things would continue over here ... at least for the time being, until we are able to find an alternative.
    I don't think we are sure at all. Ryan seems to be willing to explore upgrade/move options which would keep the forum going. It's just that he needs money and mods to do it. I wouldn't bail out yet - we could still be here after all.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

The responses from Rayan have been a little confusing and changed a lot over the course of the last day. Here is one of his first statements regarding the existing forum:

"Reposting my posts in site announcements, we are debating whether or not to close this forum sometime (lock new registrations and posts) in the future. I understand that there is so much history here and reasons why people would want to keep the forum, but its expensive and time-consuming to maintain and the revenue that UU VIP and the ads bring in does not nearly cover the expenses. However, nothing is final and I'm listening to feedback."

The way I read this, is he wants to preserve the information accumulated on the forum over the last 13 years, but unless there is a change they will lock new registrations and most importantly "posts" So, if I understand that correctly, we would not be able host SOTU here 'IF' that happens. And my initial impression of the new site is that it is chat site and would not be a viable place to host SOTU either.
    Talk less, play more . . . .

For the past few years, I’ve kicked in a few bucks to help support the forums, because I know these endeavors aren’t free or even cheap.

I also know that a forum like this gets really hard to maintain because its guts are so old. It gets unstable, like the old car you hang onto because it’s paid for and it kinda works, but it’s harder to find parts and it’s in the shop more often. I’m not surprised the owners/mods are looking for a new option, especially if it costs little more than their time to maintain.

I joined Discord. You can post videos pretty easily there, and there will be a separate channel for the Seasons, but I have no idea if it will allow us to interact in the way we have.

I hope it does. And I hope to see you here and there until here goes away. If nothing else, we have Facebook. And memories!
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I've got a fairly simple solution for keeping the Seasons in place in the current format.

Reddit.com is a massive Internet forum with sub-forums on every topic under the sun. It'd be quite simple to create a seasons-specific sub.

What we wouldn't get is v-bulletin features such as embedding YouTube videos or smilies but other than that things would work much as they do here.

I'd have to look into whether there's a PM functionality but there is the added bonus in that we'd be able to set up our own seasons-specific mods I think, who would obviously be chosen based on the consensus of the community.

I can do a bit more digging if people are interested.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Shouting Into a Tin Can EP on Soundcloud now!

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    I've got a fairly simple solution for keeping the Seasons in place in the current format.

Reddit.com is a massive Internet forum with sub-forums on every topic under the sun. It'd be quite simple to create a seasons-specific sub.

What we wouldn't get is v-bulletin features such as embedding YouTube videos or smilies but other than that things would work much as they do here.

I'd have to look into whether there's a PM functionality but there is the added bonus in that we'd be able to set up our own seasons-specific mods I think, who would obviously be chosen based on the consensus of the community.

I can do a bit more digging if people are interested.
    Yes, please! I can't even get Discord to download over here!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Yes, please! I can't even get Discord to download over here!
    You should be able to open Discord in a web browser, no?

Edit: I just went there and I'm losing hope I'll warm up to it. Maybe it's better you can't get it to download!
    Last edited by glennerd; 03-29-2020 at 05:37 AM.
    Glenn

Thread Information